• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Patrik Berglund has been indefinitely suspended by Sabres for failure to report to the team - player claims he was sick, GM claims he wasn’t.

When your "one dimension" is being the greatest goal scorer in history... that's a pretty good dimension.

Of course this ignores the fact that the guy has 529 career assists, which puts him at an average of 42 assists per 82 games. That's actually pretty damn high. Plus he does not play a perimeter game at all, and has always been very physical and never shied away from contact.

Last edited:
one dimensional ....

He is a horse , a freight train that will go through you to score . Was always a playoff performer .

He is physical and a great skater and is still elite at 33 .

You may never see another one like him again .

Laine is a one dimensional lazy fcuk. He brings nothing to the table without scoring .

Disappeared in the playoffs , lazy defender , no physicality.

Until he has more goals than 99, hard to say he is greatest goal scorer. I also am of the view Bossy was better. Bossy didn't score 40% of his goals hanging on outside on a power play waiting for a one timer.

When comparing players from different eras you have to use adjusted stats. Which is simply just goals relative to league scoring in any given year. Ovechkin literally passed Gretzky in adjusted goals yesterday. He's now 3rd all time with 761 G/A, Gretzky is 4th with 758. The top 2 are Howe with 925 and Jagr with 841. (those numbers include WHA games)

For a little more context... here's their G/A per game.

Ovechkin .736
Mario .673
Rocket .668
Bossy .613
Brett Hull .582
Crosby .561
Esposito .523
Teemu .511
Jagr .485
Gretzky .483
Robitaille .456
Iginla .454
Shanahan .441
Bobby Hull .440
Howe .423

Note: I can't find a "goals adjusted per game" list, so this is a sampling of the top overall goals adjust scorers (plus some other higher profile guys) then I divided by their games played. There might be some guys lower on the list who have a lot less games played and could be higher in the per game stat.

Ovie is in a class of his own.

Mario & Bossy would be in a class of their own had they played their entire career in the no red line, non clutch & grab NHL - which Ovie’s had the luxury of.

Mario & Bossy would be in a class of their own had they played their entire career in the no red line, non clutch & grab NHL - which Ovie’s had the luxury of.

Well, the adjusted stats kinda take care of that.

Ovechkin didn't have the luxury of playing against goalies wearing no padding.

Every era had different pros and cons... but adjusted stats are based on your scoring relative to the other players you played with who faced the same pros and cons.

Back