• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Per Elliotte Friedman’s 31-Thoughts, STL apparently offered up Pietrangelo for Nylander, which Leafs declined.

That is surprising , AP gets them that much closer to contention than Willy .

Willy simply gives them more of what they have , AP fills a major need .

Willy for 1.5 years of AP

When you are gunning for the cup you go for it . Plus AP is from TO and a very good chance he might resign at a discount .

Willy is a me first DIVA . AP gives them the player they need to maybe get over the hump , a much needed RHS .

Plus they could make a move for a guy like Muzzin if available for more depth at the deadline .

Age difference is too big for an AP/Willy swap.

A cup run for 2 years is worth the age gap IMO when that player is exactly what you need and searching for years to get

Would of liked to have been a fly on the wall in these talks .

You dont get many opportunities for a cup . The Leafs are young enough to contend without Willy in the lineup .

With half that D gone after the summer AP was the perfect fit with MR and Dermott.

maybe but this is what was actually said

Nick Kypreos shook the masses last weekend, wondering on Headlines if Alex Pietrangelo would be a fit for Toronto. With a few more days to work off it, my guess is this: St. Louis put him in William Nylander discussions, but the Maple Leafs decided to keep the winger. I see two reasons. First, Nylander is six years younger. Second, they might not be able to fit Pietrangelo’s extension (he’s eligible in July) and would prefer someone with term in that particular trade. It doesn’t mean they can’t/won’t re-consider him in the future.

A cup run for 2 years is worth the age gap IMO when that player is exactly what you need and searching for years to get

Would of liked to have been a fly on the wall in these talks .

You dont get many opportunities for a cup . The Leafs are young enough to contend without Willy in the lineup .

With half that D gone after the summer AP was the perfect fit with MR and Dermott.

I think they might rather wait for the summer to find a swap for a young talented defensemen instead. Doing those short term moves is often the difference between teams challenging for 2-3 years and teams challenging for a decade.

It’s too bad E Karlsson wasn’t available now.....might have been a great return for Sens.....

It’s too bad E Karlsson wasn’t available now.....might have been a great return for Sens.....

Not the way he has looked this year , nowhere near an MVP level .

They did ok under the circumstances . Plus if Karlsson gets moved this year there is more draft compensation going to Ottawa.

Back