• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Grigorenko was a lazy floater. Great talent but no will to compete. He would be a star if he had half the will of Gallagher

The Senators have signed one of the top college free agents, Max Veronneau.

A few other signings today: Joseph Duszak to the Leafs, Josh Teves to the Canucks and Ryan Kuffner to the Red Wings.

might just be a case of oilers gonna oiler

he did have 31 points in 48 games his first year (lockout)

He didnt stick anywhere else . Oils should of moved the pick and moved down and still get a quality player .

You cant fook it up at 1

Grigorenko was a lazy floater. Great talent but no will to compete. He would be a star if he had half the will of Gallagher

that is another issue, many here were proclaiming him almost franchise like iirc, he wasn't.

Maybe Hughes will be a superstar, he could also end up as an average 2nd line centre. Too many variables now. People are making out like he is in the stratosphere of 87, Lips, 97 and 34 when he hasn't even been drafted yet.

No one knew he would bust out after 3-4 years.

Agree. There was no talk of him ever possibly being a bust. There was such talk of that re Grigorenko, there was logical worry about the knee with Galchenyuk,and there were questions about Forsberg's upside. Yakubov was a consensus #1, if not a generational one, and then there was everyone else. I don't ever recall any downside discussed, here or anywhere. The Oilers would have been mocked if they'd moved the pick,even if they should have in hindsight.

Agree. There was no talk of him ever possibly being a bust. There was such talk of that re Grigorenko, there was logical worry about the knee with Galchenyuk,and there were questions about Forsberg's upside. Yakubov was a consensus #1, if not a generational one, and then there was everyone else. I don't ever recall any downside discussed, here or anywhere. The Oilers would have been mocked if they'd moved the pick,even if they should have in hindsight.

What was the point of drafting another finesse skilled forward on a team that had Hall and Nuge but lacked everything else

I am sure teams at the draft offered significant packages to trade the pick like any other draft .

For this player to be out of the league so soon thats a major mistake by this team , with other good players still playing .

What was the point of drafting another finesse skilled forward on a team that had Hall and Nuge but lacked everything else

I am sure teams at the draft offered significant packages to trade the pick like any other draft .

For this player to be out of the league so soon thats a major mistake by this team , with other good players still playing .

It certainly was a mistake, no doubt. But I suspect most,if not all, the other teams would have made the same pick, so I'll give them somewhat of a pass on that one.In that case I believe you have to go with the best player,which he appeared to be. Swapping the pick, sure, as it turns out, would have been in their best interest.

that is another issue, many here were proclaiming him almost franchise like iirc, he wasn't.

Maybe Hughes will be a superstar, he could also end up as an average 2nd line centre. Too many variables now. People are making out like he is in the stratosphere of 87, Lips, 97 and 34 when he hasn't even been drafted yet.

Yeah but 87, Lips, 97 and 34 also received maximum hype before they were drafted. The hype machine doesn't wait for potential generational talent to arrive.

He didnt stick anywhere else . Oils should of moved the pick and moved down and still get a quality player .

You cant fook it up at 1
When a player development gets derailed, it's not that common that he magically turn it around with another team. Sometimes the damage is too big. He could have turned out fine with a different team but we'll never know.

When a player development gets derailed, it's not that common that he magically turn it around with another team. Sometimes the damage is too big. He could have turned out fine with a different team but we'll never know.

That draft year didn’t have elite talent but enough good talent.

When you draft #1 in that scenario and your player is a bust and out of the league so soon
you fooked up .

You can question the Oils development team but he should of been a top 6 player in this
league.

He was traded in his early 20’s there was plenty of time to turn his career around .

The Nuge draft a year before also lacked elite talent but at least RNH has developed into a very good player.

Domi , Dylan Strome , and others are turning around their careers at an early age with a change of scenery.

I don’t think Nails gave a shit about putting in the commitment to succeed like Grigorenko .

There are many examples of players who were drafted in the top 5 who never developed into stars but at least were productive players and not out of the league by 25 .

Last edited:
That draft year didn’t have elite talent but enough good talent.

When you draft #1 in that scenario and your player is a bust and out of the league so soon
you fooked up .

You can question the Oils development team but he should of been a top 6 player in this
league.

He was traded in his early 20’s there was plenty of time to turn his career around .

The Nuge draft a year before also lacked elite talent but at least RNH has developed into a very good player.

Domi , Dylan Strome , and others are turning around their careers at an early age with a change of scenery.

I don’t think Nails gave a shit about putting in the commitment to succeed like Grigorenko .

There are many examples of players who were drafted in the top 5 who never developed into stars but at least were productive players and not out of the league by 25 .

effort was never the issue with nail

to be fair going to the KHL (aka home) is not quite the same thing as out of the league

effort was never the issue with nail

to be fair going to the KHL (aka home) is not quite the same thing as out of the league

The riskiest picks in the lottery are the Russian born with the KHL threat .

Unless its an Ovy or Malkin franchise type its buyer beware .

Havent been to many of these picks in the last decade or so but players like Yaks , Nichuskin , Zerdev etc..... never panned out

Radu bolted and then came back but he was a dick and left the NHL

For all the Oilers got wrong they did get Draisaitl right.
Probably the best player in that draft.

The Yakapov draft was a weird one though. Turns out it was a bad draft all together.

It is not like the Oilers reached at number 1.

I mean the habs took a big gamble with Chuck (he never really played his draft year).

Then you have Murray at 2nd overall who broke his leg shortly after that IIRC.

But the best part of the draft goes back to the oilers as well. The horrible griffen reinhart was taking 4th overall by the isles. A giant miss with a MUCH better dman taking one spot after him....Rielly. But the isles managed to turn that into Barzal when they traded reinhart to the oilers. lol

The Yakapov draft was a weird one though. Turns out it was a bad draft all together.

It is not like the Oilers reached at number 1.

I mean the habs took a big gamble with Chuck (he never really played his draft year).

Then you have Murray at 2nd overall who broke his leg shortly after that IIRC.

But the best part of the draft goes back to the oilers as well. The horrible griffen reinhart was taking 4th overall by the isles. A giant miss with a MUCH better dman taking one spot after him....Rielly. But the isles managed to turn that into Barzal when they traded reinhart to the oilers. lol

Excuse my ignorance ...what is IIRC ?

Back