• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, yeah ... this is a sandwich year Gold Cup that doesn't really mean much and will likely feature a lot of experimental rosters, but it's still upon us starting later this week. The prize for the winner, along with that wilted looking trophy, is a chance to play in a one match playoff for a slot in the 2021 Confederations Cup ... if the same team doesn't win in 2019, in which case they don't actually have to play themselves. Although that might be kind of fun.

The US is hosting with mostly MLS venues early, transitioning to the bigger stadiums in the semis and finals. MLS is going on International break for the group stage. Top 2 in the groups advance along with the two best 3rd place finishers. The US starts play against Panama on Saturday afternoon after a single friendly for warmup. Their lineup is mostly missing the big established names, although they could make changes after the group stage games. Here's the Groups:

Group A
Honduras
Costa Rica
French Guiana
Canada

Group B
US
Panama
Martinique
Nicaragua

Group C
Mexico
El Salvador
Curacao
Jamaica

Mexico coach Juan Carlos Orsoria was suspended 6 matches by FIFA for his actions in the 3rd place match at the Confederations Cup. If Mexico doesn't play 6 matches in the Gold Cup, the suspension carries over to the next official matches.

http://www.fifa.com/governance/news...osorio-suspended-for-six-matches-2900625.html

Given the way Mexico handles their business that suspension either is his death knell or it saved him the pressure of having to actually win the Gold Cup. I've got a feeling he ain't long for that job either way.

I've been gone for a week and catching up for another. Pretty clear I'm the only one following this.

Suffice to say that the US are in the semis tonight against Costa Rica while Jamaica and Mexico square off in the other semi on Sunday. That's a big advantage to Mexico in matchup strength. They can go with as many subs as they brought and still beat Jamaica, while the US and the Ticos will both have to go full tilt boogey.
The only advantage to the Semi 1 winner is the extra day of rest, which could be significant since the Semi 2 winner will only get two days of rest ahead of the finals on Wednesday.

We beat the Ticos last night 2-0. Jordan Morris banged one off the post 18 seconds in and it set the stage for a dominating first half with 60% possession but no score. Ticos broke quickly in the 2nd half and controlled the early possession. Clint Dempsey came on as a sub in the 66th minute and set up Jozy Altidore with a perfectly placed and weighted pass for,thr breakthrough goal in the 72nd minute. He scored on a free kick 10 minutes to salt the game away. It was his 57th international goal, tying Landon Donovan for most ever, in 20 fewer appearances.

Jamaica got a free kick goal in the 87th minute to take out El Tri 1-0 and advance to the final.

USA takes the Gold Cup with a fairly tense 2-1 win over Jamaica ... who, it must be said, haven't played this well in about 4-5 years. Jordan Morris made up for losing his man on a corner on Jamaica's goal by cleaning up some loose change for the winner. He had a good, aggressive tournament. Arena remains undefeated since re-taking the reigns late last year. Not much to complain about really. He's got them playing cohesive system football and when they get going in the final third they're really very effective. Well done.

Considering it was an A/B team that's a darned good result for the USMNT. They never really looked that challenged in this tournament and handled a good Costa Rica side pretty easily. They never got a shot at Mexico, but such is tourney life.

After Villafana's performance in this tournament, I think they can finally retire DaMarcus Beasley as the left fullback in perpetuity. I thought Arriola had his moments, and Nagbe was good too.

Villafana got run in the Gold Cup just to build credibility, I think. It's been his job for awhile. DMB is just the backup. Hopefully this tourney also ended Zusi's run on the other side. He's got no clue out there when it comes to actually defending.

Villafana got run in the Gold Cup just to build credibility, I think. It's been his job for awhile. DMB is just the backup. Hopefully this tourney also ended Zusi's run on the other side. He's got no clue out there when it comes to actually defending.

I'm surprised he didn't go back to Lichaj. He's an actual fullback, not a midfielder playing out of position like Zusi. But really, that's Yedlin's position for the foreseeable future, they were auditioning backups.

I'm surprised he didn't go back to Lichaj. He's an actual fullback, not a midfielder playing out of position like Zusi. But really, that's Yedlin's position for the foreseeable future, they were auditioning backups.

I guess. I liked what I saw from Lichaj, and he's played well for Birmingham in the Championship. He's really grown up since his painfully awkward early career at Villa. I figure, Yedlin, Chandler and Lichaj is plenty enough depth to keep us from having to endure any more flailing around from Zusi. I hope. You know how Bruce loves his graybeards.

Another notable from the Gold Cup was Acosta, who while still inexperienced, looks really comfortable playing next to Bradley. I like that midfield partnership a LOT more than most of the other central tandems we've trotted out in the last few years. Mostly because they actually work TOGETHER. Unique concept, that.

Back