• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

If we take on a big contract winger, we'd have to either get a center in the deal or follow up with a secondary move for a center. CM is right ... you've only got 8 spots on the wing and we've got most of them well filled as it is.

Still, we SHOULD be positioned to take advantage of our cap flexibility and SHOULD be looking to shark our way into a deal that helps us if one pops up. Even if it means you make one move to turn around and make another one later.

I would only like this if we get either a first line centre or something that drastically improves our goaltending. I really only want three more players. A first line centre, a better goalie (not really that high of a bar) and a fourth line centre. It's not that I don't want Skinner or Faulk, I just think they are our best chips to play to get the players we need. Don't trade them unless we get either a first line centre or a good goalie.

If the going rate for a particular infraction is $X, should an alleged perpetrator's financial status impact the value of X?

There is no going rate. If the fine is meant to be punitive and discourage similar behavior in the fiutre, the fine has to be significant.

There is no going rate. If the fine is meant to be punitive and discourage similar behavior in the fiutre, the fine has to be significant.

Unless you run a nursing home, family care home, group home, etc. then fines are never punitive but more of a slap on the wrist because no one wants that facility to go under-- the state would have to find placement for those elderly, mentally ill and fragile residents. Alas, I digress....

Then speeding tickets should be based on how much money you make? Seems to me that a fine should be a fine. There ought to be a quantifiable, understood way that it's calculated based on the violation.

Then speeding tickets should be based on how much money you make? Seems to me that a fine should be a fine. There ought to be a quantifiable, understood way that it's calculated based on the violation.

There is a difference between a fine imposed by the state, based on a statute, and a fine imposed by a private entity. This is more analogous to a civil judgement than a criminal fine.

in some places in Europe a speeding ticket cost is based on your income. I think Sweden does that .

He paid $150 mil for the expansion fee so he made a pretty nice profit .

No, speeding tickets in Sweden are not income based, they have fixed fees. There are fines that are income based though, but they are for crimes deemed a bit more severe than driving too fast.

Nikita Kucherov signs an 8 year extension worth $76 million dollars with Tampa! That deal sure sounds like it will take Tampa out of the Karlsson sweepstakes.

Somewhere Jeff Skinner and his agent are smiling at the term and dollars of this deal.

Nah, Kucherov is absolute elite level talent. Skinner is a nice to have maybe 30 goal guy with subpar D skills. I actually don't think that Kucherov signing takes Tampa fully out of the Karlsson hunt....they knew they would be paying Kucherov regardless of what happened with Karlsson.

I'm sure Skinner's agent is thinking there is a Evander Kane like 7 years $49 million deal out there after this season. The reality is that Skinner has been so inconsistent and is so defensively challenged at times that he's barely worth the $6 million he is scheduled to earn this season.

He's definitely not worth 7 years or anywhere near $7 million per. This next season is going to be huge for Skinner because I think wherever he plays this season, he's not going to get offered an extension from that team until sometime during the playing season. From where the Canes stand right now, there is no way I give Skinner an extension until we see what things look like with him with Brindy behind the bench. I still think there is almost zero chance that Skinner is with the Canes when camp opens. Unless Skinner goes off and scores at a clear 40 goal pace this season, I don't see anyone paying him much above $6 million and certainly not for 7 (or 8) years. He's a notch below that level of contract.

Nikita Kucherov signs an 8 year extension worth $76 million dollars with Tampa! That deal sure sounds like it will take Tampa out of the Karlsson sweepstakes.

Somewhere Jeff Skinner and his agent are smiling at the term and dollars of this deal.

The smart people who talk about hockey for a living believe that Ryan Callahan is the piece that Tampa is looking for a third party to take off their hands so they can make the deal work.

Nah, Kucherov is absolute elite level talent. Skinner is a nice to have maybe 30 goal guy with subpar D skills. I actually don't think that Kucherov signing takes Tampa fully out of the Karlsson hunt....they knew they would be paying Kucherov regardless of what happened with Karlsson.

I'm sure Skinner's agent is thinking there is a Evander Kane like 7 years $49 million deal out there after this season. The reality is that Skinner has been so inconsistent and is so defensively challenged at times that he's barely worth the $6 million he is scheduled to earn this season.

He's definitely not worth 7 years or anywhere near $7 million per. This next season is going to be huge for Skinner because I think wherever he plays this season, he's not going to get offered an extension from that team until sometime during the playing season. From where the Canes stand right now, there is no way I give Skinner an extension until we see what things look like with him with Brindy behind the bench. I still think there is almost zero chance that Skinner is with the Canes when camp opens. Unless Skinner goes off and scores at a clear 40 goal pace this season, I don't see anyone paying him much above $6 million and certainly not for 7 (or 8) years. He's a notch below that level of contract.

No way comparing Skinner to Kucherov in talent level comparisons, my point is, wingers getting close to free agency love to see these types of long term deals going down!

FWIW, Kucherov is now under contract for 9 years...he might be worth that kind of money for about half to two-thirds of that term...the last half of that contract will be an albatross but that's become par for the course for most of these long term mega deals.

I'm more of the thinking that as the superstars like Kucherov keep sucking up the money with contracts like this, guys like Skinner who at that 'very good' tier are going to either have to take even less AAV if they want to play for teams with multiple elite level talents or are going to need to sign on with teams that are not max cap teams and don't have a lot of elite level talent to pay (ie the Canes at the moment) if they want to maximize their AAV.

The smart people who talk about hockey for a living believe that Ryan Callahan is the piece that Tampa is looking for a third party to take off their hands so they can make the deal work.

You mean the people who look at the various salary cap sites and realize that the Bolts are actually paying Callahan $5.8 million for checking and leadership and darned little else? Yeah. Makes sense. Doesn't take a genius to figure that Tampa are shopping Callie ... or why.

I'm more of the thinking that as the superstars like Kucherov keep sucking up the money with contracts like this, guys like Skinner who at that 'very good' tier are going to either have to take even less AAV if they want to play for teams with multiple elite level talents or are going to need to sign on with teams that are not max cap teams and don't have a lot of elite level talent to pay (ie the Canes at the moment) if they want to maximize their AAV.

The reality kicks in eventually for the second tier offensive forwards. When the big boy, real deal stars are getting $8 million and change then your $6 million doesn't look so paltry, now does it? Then Kane signs for just shy of big deal money and everybody loses their minds. If Skinner thinks he's worth that much, then he needs to prove it. Here or somewhere else, doesn't matter.

No way comparing Skinner to Kucherov in talent level comparisons, my point is, wingers getting close to free agency love to see these types of long term deals going down!

FWIW, Kucherov is now under contract for 9 years...he might be worth that kind of money for about half to two-thirds of that term...the last half of that contract will be an albatross but that's become par for the course for most of these long term mega deals.

I think this is pretty much a great deal for Tampa....for the entire length of the contract. Kucherov is now under contract until he is 34. As long as he stays healthy he will put up numbers. He is a top 10 elite talent in the NHL with a Cap hit of 9.5 for the remainder of his prime. Would you rather have a Dougthy locked up at $11M per until age of age of 37 or the Kucherov deal. That is a no brainer to me on Kucherov. Elite guys make elite money and 9.5 is reasonable along with the term.

I also don't think it takes them out of Karlsson sweepstakes. They are still going after him.

Are drunk driving fines based on income?

Yes, and that be the least of the problems of you get a dui in some European countries.
Mandatory jail time also comes into play. And the level for getting a dui is a lot lower.
Basically drink water if you’re going to drive in Europe.

As dwind says. Lesser drunk driving charges are income based but if the drunk driving is deemed severe you'll get jail time instead.

Back