• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

If he signs anywhere but Toronto, there's going to be a lot of disappointed people, who have been convinced for several days that he's going there, and nowhere else.

Since Derek Ryan is physically incapable of defending his position, I think you guys who would be happy with him on a 3rd like are well off base ... but hey. You do you. He's clearly fixing to be somebody else's problem.

My favorite reason Tavares is going to Toronto-- his future wife just landed a highly valued nursing job and she'll want to stay in town. Yes, I am sure the future Mrs. John Tavares, millionaire couple, will want to continue as a nurse working 8-12 hours shifts while her husband is playing hockey.

Come on Tavares, get the heck out of the way so the rest of the league can take care of business!

Last edited:
I think Derek Ryan isn't a bad player in a 3rd line role. I know he is a hate magnet in Carolina but it isn't his fault coaching utilized him incorrectly. There is interest in him around the league for a reason. He put up 15 goals and 38 points for $1.4M this past year. As a third line player, what is wrong with that?

The focus of anger should be more on Rask who stole his salary of $4M per and underperformed Ryan. I wish the focus was more on dumping Rask and finding a true center capable of playing on the 1st or 2nd line.

I'm with CP here. For all the hate and dissin' on DR, he was not the problem at all. He's a pretty serviceable centerman, preferably on 4th line and OK on 3rd when needed. The problems were guys like Rask, Nordstrom, Lindy, Darling... who didn't do their jobs and earn their pay. But also I cannot see him worth $3 mil per.

You've all seen the rumors that Montreal will go all out for Stasny.. Uh? Would they have taken Armia and Mason to help the Peg out to keep him if they were going for him? One Canadian team helping another.

My favorite reason Tavares is going to Toronto-- his future wife just landed a highly valued nursing job and she'll want to stay in town. Yes, I am sure the future Mrs. John Tavares, millionaire couple, will want to continue as a nurse working 8-12 hours shifts while her husband is playing hockey.

I can see her working as a nurse before they get married, but in a low stress nurse job like a Drs. office 9-5. Not 12 hour hospital shifts. Or she could work part time after they marry , some people just don't want to sit around all day with nothing to do 7 days a week before they have kids.

As crazy as it sounds... apparently it's been a big deal for her. She's not been able to work for awhile and really wants to.

As crazy as it sounds... apparently it's been a big deal for her. She's not been able to work for awhile and really wants to.

I shouldn’t minimize her desire to work and I know the nursing market is very difficult to break into in some Canadian areas, especially for recent grads, but on the hand, GTO isn’t the only NA hockey market with hospitals, doctors offices or surgery centers.

I applaud the future Mrs. Tavares for pursuing a career aligned with her own interests, presumably the location is independent from what he's doing. But ya I'm with cmal, get it over with JT, you've been the focus for long enough, you're constipating the market.

Slugs trade Ryan O’Reilly to the Blues for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, a 2019 1st rounder and a 2021 2nd rounder. Thompson is a 20 year old forward who had 9 points in 41 games last season.

Slugs trade Ryan O’Reilly to the Blues for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, a 2019 1st rounder and a 2021 2nd rounder. Thompson is a 20 year old forward who had 9 points in 41 games last season.

That’s a solid return for one guy!!! Great trade for Buffalo overall. Thompson is a big center that can slot behind Eichel and Mittelstadt. And...the Blues get stuck paying the $7.5 million bonus due to ROR today.

Last edited:
That’s a solid return for one guy!!! Great trade for Buffalo overall. Thompson is a big center that can slot behind Eichel and Mittelstadt. And...the Blues get stuck paying the $7.5 million bonus due to ROR today.

Blues are paying O’Reilly’s signing bonus too.

Back