• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

Stan Mikita died today. He was 78. He had been diagnosed with Lewy body dementia in 2015. He’s still the leading scorer in Blackhawks history and is the only person in NHL history to win the Hart, Ross and Lady Bing trophies in the same year. He did it twice, in 66-67 and 67-68. Names a team ambassador in 2008 after Bill Wirtz died, he received a Stanley Cup ring in 2010.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stan-mikita-hall-of-famer-dead/c-299698868

Stan Mikita died today. He was 78. He had been diagnosed with Lewy body dementia in 2015. He’s still the leading scorer in Blackhawks history and is the only person in NHL history to win the Hart, Ross and Lady Bing trophies in the same year. He did it twice, in 66-67 and 67-68. Names a team ambassador in 2008 after Bill Wirtz died, he received a Stanley Cup ring in 2010.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stan-mikita-hall-of-famer-dead/c-299698868

RIP to a legend and a gentleman.

He completely remade his game after a comment from his daughter. She asked him why he spent so much time sitting by himself. In the 63-64 season, he was 3rd in the league with 146 PIM, in 64-65, he was 7th with 154 PIM. He dropped to 58 in 65-66 and then a combined 26 PIM in 66-67 and 67-68, the 2 years he won the Hart, Ross and Lady Byng trophies. In the 15 seasons after the high of 154 PIM, he topped 50 PIM in only 4 seasons.

I had the great good fortune to meet Stan Mikita and talk with him at length when the Crosby Pro Am golf tournament was first held at Bermuda Run outside Winston Salem in 1987. The organization I worked for was involved in the pre-tournament party and there were celebrities, coaches, and former & current athletes all around the room. Midway through, I took a break and ran into Stan Mikita (I didn't know he was supposed to be there). He seemed tickled at my reaction to meeting him and that I knew what he'd done for the Blackhawks. Most people there didn't seem to have a clue who he was or what sport he played. After my break, he came over to the area I was working & hung out talking hockey & life in general. It definitely made me feel good that he sought me out and didn't want to stop our conversation. It made the time pass more quickly. Former Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jim Palmer joined in the conversation, so did actor Leslie Nielsen, who made sure the waiter kept our drinks refreshed.

I'm grateful our paths crossed and Stan took the time to stop & talk. R.I.P. sir.

Jim

Red Wings sign Dylan Larkin to a 5 year contract with a $6.1 million AAV. If Aho continues on the pace he set in his first 2 years, he’ll be looking in the $8+ million range.

The tweet below has a comparison of the first 2 years for Aho, McDavid, Eichel and Larkin. That doesn’t include Larkin’s 3rd season where he had 63 points. But even with including that, he’s still well behind Aho on a points per game basis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/corylav/status/1027942042540941312

Let's just hope he's willing to sign a huge long term deal. If he and his agent start playing the bridge contract card, we could be in trouble.

Last edited:
If I'm Aho and his agent there is no way I would agree to a long term extension right now for anything under 8 years and $64 million. If Aho goes off for 35 goals/80 points this years then you are looking at $9-10 million per. Aho >>>> Dylan Larkin.

And I don't see this situation as quite the same as Nikita Kucherov, who after coming off of a rough rookie season followed by 29/36 and 30/36 held out until the season had started and then took a 3 year $14.3 million bridge deal. Tampa's situation was completely different then with the cap...the Canes don't have cap issues and Aho is (for now) our best player. If you don't give him 8 and $64 now you might be looking at 8 and $75 if he has a huge season this year.

Going to have to pay him eventually....hard to say where his ceiling is, but if he comes out scoring rather than waiting a month before he gets his first goal he could be a 35-40 goal guy. Those guys get paid, a lot of money for a lot of years. This is where Dundon needs to figure out his way forward...you can't go at every RFA and try to leverage them into less than market deals. That's a noble thing to try, but that ship has sailed already Tom....you are going to have to give Aho a heck of a lot of money.

I don't say this lightly, as you guys know ... Aho is the real deal. He's got everything you want in a star player except size and in the Hurricanes's current position you simply can't afford to be that picky. Sign the kid to the huge money, long term deal now and then build a line around him to insure that his lack of size isn't as much of an issue. Do it .... dooooo iiiiiittttt

Fully prepared and expecting $8M for 8 years this off-season.

Believe the pros will have managed Dundon's expectations on this one.

And Dundon also understands marketing. Aho and Svetchnikov are his guys. You pay your guys.

I don't say this lightly, as you guys know ... Aho is the real deal. He's got everything you want in a star player except size and in the Hurricanes's current position you simply can't afford to be that picky. Sign the kid to the huge money, long term deal now and then build a line around him to insure that his lack of size isn't as much of an issue. Do it .... dooooo iiiiiittttt

Or trade him to buffahole for a bag of used pucks

We all better hope freaking Sinclair doesn't end up with the Fox regional networks. God help us are those people are hard programmed partisan automatons. It wasn't mentioned in that article but there has also been some speculation that Comcast might be mulling a purchase of the Fox RSNs instead of jerking them around on channel access. Comcast, as you probably know, lost the bidding war for Fox to Disney but is still trying to beat them out for the remaining control of Sky in Europe. If they get that done, and it seems logical, then some have speculated that they'll want to add some lower tier sports inventory in the States to bulk up NBCSN's offerings. NBC already has the national broadcast deal with the NHL and it would make sense to at least pursue the hockey portion of the Fox RSN's programming, plus it would give them a broader sports platform that might allow them to flex up coverage of big events without pushing off regular programming on MSNBC and the like.

Best of luck Cam!

https://sports.yahoo.com/sneak-peek-cam-wards-blackhawks-192059819.html?src=rss

Its going to be interesting to see what ends up happening to Cam's numbers in Chicago. Will he post a one of the better Sv% of his career simply because of the system? Will he have to play more than 40 games because of Crawford's health issues? Our home game against Chicago is early this season (Nov 12th), so we won't have to wait long for the video montage....

Last edited:
Yeah ... you'd like to think that you're going to get exactly the same from Ward that he's done over the last 5 years or so. I mean, his health has been pretty consistent and the team in front of him has been consistently meh. But somewhere in the back of their heads I'm sure a lot of Canes fans are fearing the worst ... because why not? You know ... Ward freed from the clutches of this crap organization has a late career resurgence and wins some award or honor or whatever.

My thinking ... we all know how Cam does. He'll come out VERY strong early and make Canes fans super nervous that the team gave up on him too quickly. My guess? Chip will have the first article written by the end of the State Fair. Then, Crawford's health or the fact that Crawford really isn't all that good in the first place will tempt the Hawks into playing Cam more than they should. And then we all know where the story ends. He wears down and gets progressively more shaky.

David Desharnais signed with Lokomotiv in July. There are reports today that they terminated his contract. He played for the Rangers last season, only scoring 6 goals in 71 games.

Anyone else quietly hoping that Hanifin ends up holding out? Still plenty of time left and several other RFAs waiting for deals, but not an abnormal amount. Clock is starting to tick for real now, camps open in less than a month.

Back