• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The season opens tonight with a doubleheader on NBCSN. Penguins v. Blues at 8 and Sharks v. Flyers (with The Mighty Forslund on the call) at 10:30.

The Caps will start the season without Tom Wilson. He was suspended 4 games for a boarding major and game misconduct in the Caps pre-season game on Sunday. He had just returned from a 2 game suspension for interference.

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-tom-wilson-suspended-for-boarding/c-291551448?tid=277549076

The season opens tonight with a doubleheader on NBCSN. Penguins v. Blues at 8 and Sharks v. Flyers (with The Mighty Forslund on the call) at 10:30.

The Caps will start the season without Tom Wilson. He was suspended 4 games for a boarding major and game misconduct in the Caps pre-season game on Sunday. He had just returned from a 2 game suspension for interference.

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-tom-wilson-suspended-for-boarding/c-291551448?tid=277549076

The off season wasn’t long enough for me to stomach watching the Pens just yet. I’m taking a pass on tonight.

It just me or do the Canes always start slow in terms of number of games played vs most other teams? Is that because of anual state activities that coincide and therefore are factored into 'schedule monkey's' great work?

A few ex-Cane fringe players and/or former prospects making several NHL rosters out of training camp. Zac Dalpe in Columbus, Matt Tennyson in Buffalo, Conner Brickley in Florida, Martin Frk in Detroit and Evgeny Davdonov in Florida.

It will be interesting to see what Davdonov does in his 2nd NHL go around. We got him and AJ Denks in a trade with the Panthers in January 2012 for a couple of nothing minor leaguers and buried him in Charlotte. That was the final year of his entry level deal...he returned to Russia and became a KHL superstar. He wasn't particular good in the NHL the first time, but he was much younger then.

Conner Brickley is another recycle for the Panthers.

So the Leafs destroyed the Jets yesterday in their season opener...to me the bigger story and one that might quickly come up depending on how they do is they Jets... this is a team stock loaded with talent but can never seem to get it together and DEFINITELY DO NOT have a solution between the pipes. If they continue on the schneid, I wouldn't be suprised to see them try to shake things up. Not sure what exactly that would be, maybe a coaching change...first ? haha

And Jiri 'the linesman' Hudler. Yeah. Wow. I mean. I guess he ain't lacin' up again any time soon in the NHL... and to think there was a time we were open to bringing him in here. Evidently, that time has long passed, along with his expiry date. Good bye Jiri

So the Leafs destroyed the Jets yesterday in their season opener...to me the bigger story and one that might quickly come up depending on how they do is they Jets... this is a team stock loaded with talent but can never seem to get it together and DEFINITELY DO NOT have a solution between the pipes. If they continue on the schneid, I wouldn't be suprised to see them try to shake things up. Not sure what exactly that would be, maybe a coaching change...first ? haha

Coach MO has more lives than an outdoor cat...how he just secured an extension is beyond me...he will reside on the coaching hot seat unless that team makes the playoffs. How do you have 8 power plays and lose 7-2 on home ice???

How do you have 8 power plays and lose 7-2 on home ice???

By having crappy goaltending, crappy penalty killing and playing the Leafs. This Leafs team is going to be lighting people up all season I fear.

Ron Hainsey last night? 22:53 TOI 12:03 of that was killing penalties. As happy as I am that Hainsey has moved on, Penalty Killing is one area he is going to help the Leafs for sure.

Last edited:
Crazy start to the season so far. 4 hat tricks already (McDavid, Simmons, Ovechkin, Saad), the Pens giving up FIFTEEN goals in their first 2 games (5-4 OT loss to the Blues and 10-1 Loss last night to Chicago).

The Pens went with Niemi to start the back to back roadie at Chicago and he lasted 9:16, allowing 4 goals. It was so bad they had to bring Murray in to play 2 nights in a row to start the season and he got lit up for 6 goals in the final 50 minutes. There were lot of pundits predicting problems with the Pens not having a quality backup behind Matt Murray. Niemi isn't THAT bad of course, but for now he's sporting a 25.90 GAA and a .692 Sv%.

Crazy start to the season so far. 4 hat tricks already (McDavid, Simmons, Ovechkin, Saad), the Pens giving up FIFTEEN goals in their first 2 games (5-4 OT loss to the Blues and 10-1 Loss last night to Chicago).

The Pens went with Niemi to start the back to back roadie at Chicago and he lasted 9:16, allowing 4 goals. It was so bad they had to bring Murray in to play 2 nights in a row to start the season and he got lit up for 6 goals in the final 50 minutes. There were lot of pundits predicting problems with the Pens not having a quality backup behind Matt Murray. Niemi isn't THAT bad of course, but for now he's sporting a 25.90 GAA and a .692 Sv%.

In 424 career games, Niemi is 2.50/.913. Those aren't bad numbers.

Back