Page 95 of 282 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 5626

Thread: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Melnyk is going all scorched earth. Ha ha.
    #freesheldon

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/02...ated-fan-base/

OTTAWA – With the NHL’s trade deadline rapidly approaching, franchises are looking to improve the strength of their team by any means necessary. For the Ottawa Senators this means heading into the deadline looking to acquire a dedicated fan base.

Last season Ottawa was one overtime goal away from advancing to the Stanley Cup finals due in large part to captain Erik Karlsson, who many consider to be the best defenceman in the world. Despite all this, the team struggled to sell out playoff tickets and is now looking to correct last year’s mistakes by finding a fanbase who “gives a shit.”

“Management has spent a lot of time discussing what this team needs to push it over the top and have realised that the solution lies in an elite level fan-base,” said team owner and CEO Eugene Melnyk. “We’ve been sending scouts out to arena’s all over the league to see if there are any fans we could trade for to fill that void, it’s a part of the team we’ve definitely neglected in the past. Without maniacs in the stands to shout helpful advice like “Go Sens Go” or “Shoot the puck!” during power plays, our boys have no idea what to do on the ice. It’s absolutely tragic.”
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    the real issue is that no sane billionaire would want to try and run a pro sports franchises in ottawa.

i feel bad for gene - he's spent so many millions that noboy else would have. and they hate him.
    Why are we feeling bad? Has he been losing money each year?

Post Thanks / Like

In cash probably. Or at least tax return losses.

Monstrous increase in equity over the years though. Pretty sure he paid 100 million for the team and another 30 million for the arena. The arena would be a bit of a liability if the Sens were moving into downtown Ottawa at some point but the club itself is probably worth ~400 million. The parcel of land owned by Melnyk that the arena sits on would also fetch a decent price.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post

Monstrous increase in equity over the years though. Pretty sure he paid 100 million for the team and another 30 million for the arena. The arena would be a bit of a liability if the Sens were moving into downtown Ottawa at some point but the club itself is probably worth ~400 million. The parcel of land owned by Melnyk that the arena sits on would also fetch a decent price.
    Not to mention Melynk got a liver from somewhere in the team’s fan base.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it’s been a great investment for him.

But nobody should own an NHL team if they aren’t fully intending to spend to the cap every year.

Post Thanks / Like

The Internet >>
    I ****ing laughed and laughed.
    Photoshop needs to be bad in this case.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

A GREED LeafofFaith.

Post Thanks / Like

They donít have the cash flow, the equity position doesnít help. Itís an unsustainable plaything for Melnyk. Iím waiting for Desmarais and his untold billions to swoop in and buy the team.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Nash to Boston has been agreed upon, just cap related stuff needs to be addressed.

Bergeron on LTIR would be a sneaky call.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

He’d be a big add for them, or us.

I hope they give up a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Sweeny is a bit worried about his relative lack of firepower. Unfortunately for him, Nash won't be much help there. Blow yer brains out, dude. I hope the Rangers extract the max for him.
    #freesheldon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    He’d be a big add for them, or us.

I hope they give up a lot.
    Nash?

Nash has got a big name but he's not the 40G scorer he once was. And he's absolutely hilarious playing without the puck. He makes JVR look like Selke winger.

2nd Liner
    NCR region, Gatineau resident and Ottawa workplace.
    Post Thanks / Like

He's shit, but I do feel for him on one level. They've been a competitive team for most of his time as the owner, and were having a hard time selling out playoff games last year.
    That's because there are only about 10,000 season ticket holders. When I went to non-Leafs playoffs games in Ottawa, I was basically given tickets by a friend that worked grounds crew over there. The Pens-Sens game where Crosby noodled Spezza and Spezza got booed was one of them. This is Ottawa man, people don't pay for shit unless it's shiny or is on discount. The Senators had been to the playoffs nearly every year, and Melnyk increased parking and ticket prices (cogently, as you do in the second round) so people sat home. It is still a hike to get to when you can just sit at home and order in for a lot less. Remembering, at all times, people here are cheap. "If it's free, it's for me" is heard a ton around town...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way you qualify your location as not actually living in Ottawa.
    #freesheldon

Post Thanks / Like

If Rick Nash is the guy Boston's blowing their wad on at the deadline, then Leaf fans should be pretty happy.

Would've been a lot scarier if they ended up with McDonagh or Karlsson. But Nash is basically a glorified 3rd line winger at this point.
    ďIíll trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players.Ē - Conn Smythe

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    If Rick Nash is the guy Boston's blowing their wad on at the deadline, then Leaf fans should be pretty happy.

Would've been a lot scarier if they ended up with McDonagh or Karlsson. But Nash is basically a glorified 3rd line winger at this point.
    Bruins are such a horrendously managed team.It's amazing how good they still are. They should have a dynasty right now.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Marchand is seriously nuts.

He’s the Joey Bats of the NHL. The hell did he come from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingTucker View Post
    That's because there are only about 10,000 season ticket holders. When I went to non-Leafs playoffs games in Ottawa, I was basically given tickets by a friend that worked grounds crew over there. The Pens-Sens game where Crosby noodled Spezza and Spezza got booed was one of them. This is Ottawa man, people don't pay for shit unless it's shiny or is on discount. The Senators had been to the playoffs nearly every year, and Melnyk increased parking and ticket prices (cogently, as you do in the second round) so people sat home. It is still a hike to get to when you can just sit at home and order in for a lot less. Remembering, at all times, people here are cheap. "If it's free, it's for me" is heard a ton around town...
    Then they're not going to have a hockey team for too much longer. If Winnipeg can make it work, Ottawa has no ****ing excuse. I get that the arena is in a shit location but what exactly is it competing with for entertainment there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingTucker View Post
    Then they're not going to have a hockey team for too much longer. If Winnipeg can make it work, Ottawa has no ****ing excuse. I get that the arena is in a shit location but what exactly is it competing with for entertainment there?

Page 95 of 282 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast