• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Today's useless(?) Canes stat of the day:

NHL leaders (forwards only) as of 1/8/2017 - Give Aways

Joe Thornton 50
Sidney Crosby 50
Justin Williams 50

(JT Miller is next with 46)

The most Give Aways that Justin Williams has had in a full season is 77 (06-07 season with the Canes) I suspect Williams is trying way too hard out there and would benefit from simplifying things a bit. Being tied for the lead amongst NHL forwards in Give Aways when you are a guy who doesn't play or have the puck a lot is a pretty rough stat. He needs to clean that up.

And today's bonus Canes stat (because I don't want to just pick on Justin Williams)

Victor Rask has played 39 games this season. He has ONE even strength assist. ONE!!! That is in 522 Even strength minutes.

3 other forwards have played at least 35 games and notched only 1 assist:

Austin Watson (377 Even Strength Minutes)
Oscar Lindberg (434 Even Strength Minutes)
Alex Chiasson (389 Even Strength Minutes)

Yeah, Rask has 10 goals, but that assist number is just completely inexcusable for a guy who was paid to be a #2 or #3 center.

Last edited:
You'd think with the quality of Rask's wrist shot, he'd have accumulated at least three or four accidental assists off of rebounds or deflections by now ... but no. The dude has been a big old dud all season with the exception of a handful of games.

Two more former Hurricanes have been named to Olympic teams. Marc Andre Gragnani, with 1 game played for the Canes in 2012-13 (but 42 games for the Cherkers) and Justin Peters will represent Canada. Gragnani is playing for Dinamo Minsk in the KHL, Peters is playing for Kolner Haie in the German league.

Rumor has it NBC might spend up to 10 minutes showing hockey this time. Kind of like their coverage of Team Handball during the summer games.

Rumor has it NBC might spend up to 10 minutes showing hockey this time. Kind of like their coverage of Team Handball during the summer games.

NBC wasn't going to show NHL games during the Olympics but changed their collective mind. The Mighty Forslund got another callup to the network so we have Jason Shaya again on February 6.

Two more former Hurricanes have been named to Olympic teams. Marc Andre Gragnani, with 1 game played for the Canes in 2012-13 (but 42 games for the Cherkers) and Justin Peters will represent Canada. Gragnani is playing for Dinamo Minsk in the KHL, Peters is playing for Kolner Haie in the German league.

Good for Pete-dog. I always loved that guy. Not for his goaltending, obvs

I’m surprised it took this long. Vegas is owned by Black Night Sports and Entertainemrmt. Thr majority owner is Bill Foley, a 1967 graduate of ...West Point.

That was the first thing I thought when they announced the name ... that the Army wasn't going to let it stand. And then ... nothing. Why the heck would you wait all the way until the team is halfway through their inaugural season and has spent a boatload of money on branding? That's just dumb. At this point the Army should be told to pack sand.

That was the first thing I thought when they announced the name ... that the Army wasn't going to let it stand. And then ... nothing. Why the heck would you wait all the way until the team is halfway through their inaugural season and has spent a boatload of money on branding? That's just dumb. At this point the Army should be told to pack sand.

Drop the K and they're in like Flynn???

More Vegas-like anyway. For a few.

The US Army has filed a trademark claim against the Golden Knights...

https://deadspin.com/united-states-army-files-trademark-claim-against-vegas-1822005024

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if the Army won. While the team is heavily influenced by Army roots, I don't see what the harm is. Is any consumer really confused that the team is affiliated or owned by the US government? An NHL hockey franchise or a US Army stunt parachute squad. Good luck finding actual evidence that the Army is being harmed by this in any reasonable way. Waste of taxpayer money.......

Two more former Canes named to the Olympics. Michal Jordan and Jakub (we hardly knew ye) Nakladal are on the Czech Republic roster.

Viktor Stalberg was named to the Sweden Olympic hockey team. He's playing for Zug in the Swiss league. I think that make 7 former Canes playing in the Olympics.

Back