• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Florida @ Carolina 7PM EST

We squeaked out a win- the score is deceptive. Our power play is the worst I have seen in years. Five power plays, almost four minutes straight twice with back to back, and nothing. Any one else think this is Mo hockey?? Shot after shot with nothing to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure all 8800 people enjoyed it.
Is it worth the money to watch the canes?
How many more fans would they get by cutting tickets and parking by 25%? By 50%?

We squeaked out a win- the score is deceptive. Our power play is the worst I have seen in years. Five power plays, almost four minutes straight twice with back to back, and nothing. Any one else think this is Mo hockey?? Shot after shot with nothing to show.

Excellent observations, I feel the same. The power play is a hot mess, Peters will cling to the shots on goal advantage and the possession numbers but let's be real, this team simply fails to finish when it counts the most and they continue to refuse to go to the dirty areas in front to score on the power play.

Peters really has become a sarcastic prick with the media too of late in just about every interview. Mr. Bill's antics and poor decisions have really become a big part of the problem.

How many grade A chances did FLA miss/whiff in the 3rd? If that was a quality team the score would have 5-1 before the middle of the period.

And Mr. Bill rewards them with a day off. :frown2:

Peters really has become a sarcastic prick with the media too of late in just about every interview. Mr. Bill's antics and poor decisions have really become a big part of the problem.

Must be the Kinetico water. His kid is a sparmy one too (at least in the commercial).

I will say that Scott Darling is looking like the real deal. He gives up big rebounds, but he's a competitor and fighter. He can't be held accountable for the lack of scoring, crappy special teams and defensive breakdowns, but he's not the reason we're struggling.

I will say that Scott Darling is looking like the real deal. He gives up big rebounds, but he's a competitor and fighter. He can't be held accountable for the lack of scoring, crappy special teams and defensive breakdowns, but he's not the reason we're struggling.

He was fighting the puck all night. There were several shots that he thought he had covered and the D bailed him out by clearing the puck. But he's up to 7th in the league in GAA at 2.35 and his Save % is climbing; he's up to .910 for the season after saving 53 of 55 shots over the last 2 games.

Depends on who you ask. Chuck and Tripp have insinuated more than once that the Canes would better off with Cam in net.

I don't have any confidence in Darling. He seems to play goalie like I would. In a panic, flapping arms, kicking out here and there, constantly out of position. Say what you want about Luongo, pumped tires or not, he sees the puck and reacts. Darling just flops around and hopes he gets in the way. At least Cam seems like he's in control.

There is plenty of blame to go around here. Bottom line is we don't have the talent to be a consistent playoff team.

Maybe our owner is broke and can't dig any deeper. (or wouldn't/shouldn't; hell, I'm not his accountant)
Maybe GMRF just doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to make a big deal. I like his off-season, shore-up moves but maybe there wasn't a big one to be made.
Maybe our coaches' expiration date has passed. He really does seem frustrated in interviews. I like what's he done with limited talent, then he leaves Skinner on the bench during overtime to, I don't know, teach him a lesson or something. We lost. Ryan in the top six? nine? Ugh!

It's probably some variation of many factors and it might take several moves to figure out.

Bottom line is we need to move a defensemen for some scoring help. Rask and Teravainen are not going to get better. I love McGinn, on a fourth line. Nordstrom, Staal and Lindholm are all third line players. Only SKinner, Aho and Williams are top six players.

I do love Slavin/Pesce and Fleury/McKeown. I'm over Faulk and I only see Hanifin getting worse.

Is it James Neal? Alex Galchenyuk? David Perron? Evander Kane? Only Galchenyuk has/can play centre. I feel like the current plan is to wait for draftees to assume leadership roles. The dual captaincy shows we don't really have a team leader right now. I've been patient, but I have to admit, sometimes I only feel dread on game day. I was excited about open night and that's pretty much it. If the Canes are losing me, they are in real trouble. I'm still buying season tickets and its occurring to me that I'm not enjoying it anymore.

Oh well, I'm just going to fantasize that John Tavares has fallen in love with North Carolina and he's just keeping everything on the DL because that's what hockey players do.

And yeah, why make your son look like a jerk just to sell water? My first thought was, that's not cool.

Last edited:
One thing I want this team to stop doing - I have seen it in EVERY SINGLE GAME so far this season - when they get the PP... somebody brings it out of the zone, skates it all the way to the opposition blue line - then sends the puck back completely all the way to one of the trailing defenders to - skate it back up and into the zone. Um, lining everyone up at the blueline and then turning over the puck has it that you're all pretty much flat footed and chasing down a breakaway. Please stop this stupid PP move. It is useless. I'd rather dump and chase honestly.

That's it. He's now officially Peter's go to guy. Coach was waiting for him at the bench in earnest to pat him on the back.

If Peter Penny Pincher cannot afford two coaches, just fire Mr. Bill and let Brindy handle the reins through season end. Peters is a goof, 3+ years behind the bench has shown nothing of substance or turning a corner for this team.

The PP is total garbage. Not one player looks like he's able or wants to setup properly. What happened to the button hooks they were doing last season, cough Aho, skate the puck in the zone, then button hook back. Also, there were a number of times I had enough time to say - shoot the puck - never a good sign. cough Faulk. Even Trip had a small slight on how long Faulk took to get a shot off after being setup in the slot all alone. Trip always see's every player and their effort as 'next to none'. And yet we still see the same garbage.

I like this team, a bit. But not sold on the finished product. Its not much of anything right now. I guess we can just wait till the annual 'find the team soul first long road trip' before we get any consistency and improvements. I'm scared to even look up when that first long road trip will be. End of season? =)

Gotta tell you, I DO understand the gravity of the situation, but it's not really that dire. Not yet.

Last night's two points were indeed huge and timely. Four losses by every other team playing in the division didn't hurt either. Net result, we took a huge leap in the playoff chances standings from 1-in-3 to 2-in-5. Pivotal game indeed.

Yeah, we're playing 0.500 hockey (5-5-3). But it's just 13 games. 69 remain. And we hold games in hand on everyone, as many as 3 and 4 (Penguins) on some. Even a 0.500 record on those puts us just a point or two outside the door.

Just need a 3-2-1 pace for the remainder to be in the low 90’s. That's 0.500 and a tough OT out for one of the losses. Very doable. Should be able to exceed this pace if they ever catch fire.

Seen lots of graphical analysis that everyone is off their scoring pace except Skinner. Lots and lots of room for improvement as individuals and the team trend toward the norms and gain confidence.

No need to panic just yet. Maybe Thanksgiving. :sarcasm

Last edited:
Back