• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Caps 1/12 7:30

To beat the best it only takes the smallest of errors to screw you. Missed call and Hanifin’s Charlie Foxtrot were brutal.

You have to secure at least a point at all costs in that situation. This game may come back to bite hard at seasons end.

I sit in 112 and all of that--Hanifin's brainfart, the missed call and the game winner--happened right in front of me. So painful...I can't bring myself to watch the highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sit in 112 and all of that--Hanifin's brainfart, the missed call and the game winner--happened right in front of me. So painful...I can't bring myself to watch the highlights.

This felt like someone just pulled your heart out of your chest. No way we should have lost this game in regulation. I'm still steamed.

I'm not sure how much to pin on Cam. Those were two pretty unforgivable defensive breakdowns on those last two. And yes, the refs should've caught that 2x minor on the high stick. But still.... You can't give away 2 tallies at home like that. Also, to be fair, that tripping call that #11 drew was also kinda BS. In today's NHL I guess you can skate over a guy's stick, trip and draw 2 minutes. The reffing was equal opportunity garbage.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

They need to win tomorrow to help me forget about the sting from this loss.

If last night felt like getting kicked in the nuts, today feels like the after effects of that kick. Still cannot fathom how that last 5 minutes went down...just hard to believe. Calgary might be the hottest team in hockey right now, how nice.

The missed call was unfortunate, but you don't lose games because of missed calls. You lose games when your defenseman play stupid hockey and you lose games when your goalie doesn't make as many stops as he should.

I don't blame this loss on Ward - not at all. The first Caps goal was a scrum that left him pinned to the ice. The tying goal was due to an incomprehensible pass by Hanifin. The last was due a defensive letdown/lapse as time expired. Yes, Ward could have stopped that goal, but I think he was blocked by Slavin until it was too late. Haven't seen the replays yet, so I could be wrong.

Peters has got to instill in this team that they need to be aware of where their opponents are during every second of play and not to let up until the clock has stopped.

Without a doubt! Even in beer league with a mad scramble like that and just a couple seconds remaining in a game, I'm not playing cute and poking for the puck; I'm tying up your stick and knocking you on your ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seat location giving you a perspective on why I bitch and moan about our defense all the time? When they screw up, its right there in your face when you sit in those behind the goal sections. Hanifin made an error that you work on from the time you graduate learn to skate class. He blindly chucked a puck up the middle instead of safely chipping it in the corner where he could have bought time for help to arrive. Dumb, immature decision that led directly to a goal. And he should count himself lucky that he had Cam Ward in net instead of one of the old school keepers. Billy Smith would probably have skated over and broke his stick on Noah's head after that garbage. The wall is your friend Noah. I feel like you've heard that a million or so times by now.

And I'm SO freaking tired of Cam Ward playing dead whenever there's any bodies in his area that I can barely stand it. He's cost his team countless goals over the years doing that crap and we almost never get the interference calls that he's counting on to bail him out. Man up Cam. Fight for saves. It's what every other decent NHL goalie does in this era. Somebody sits on you ... throw 'em off and jack 'em up with a well placed stick.

Overall I thought they played a pretty solid game. Washington was a notch more engaged than they were in the last two meetings ... prolly because they got threatened with severe punishment if they didn't at least pretend to care. And Carolina not only played them toe to toe, they had the better of it up until the wheels fell off. Decent effort. Go put a stake in this stretch with a win over the Flames on Sunday and get some rest on sabbatical week.

Last edited:
Back