Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Plekanec traded to Maple Leafs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plekanec traded to Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by Habspatrol View Post
    Funny, I'm the opposite. I may hate the Leafs but I have a grudging respect for them and their fans. There is nothing redeeming about the Bruins or their fans at all.
    and i still hate lucic
    even the oilers fans i know hate him
    for different reasons of course aka he is terrible at the hockey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Real fans hate Toronto.

leafs have been bad for the last 50 years so they are not relevant

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no hatred like mine for the Leafs. That said, having grown up in sixties, I have huge respect for their team and players of that decade, the one that made me literally cry in 64 and 67.

Keon and Bower top the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    leafs have been bad for the last 50 years so they are not relevant
    What makes the Leafs the greater evil isn't the team itself but its insufferable fan base. Bruins fans only bother you when they have something to crow about. Leafs fans are like herpes. win or lose you can never be rid of them. You can only control them. The best way to do that is for their team not to win. Not ever, if possible.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

"Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by east coast View Post
    There is no hatred like mine for the Leafs. That said, having grown up in sixties, I have huge respect for their team and players of that decade, the one that made me literally cry in 64 and 67.

Keon and Bower top the list.
    that is legit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou View Post
    What makes the Leafs the greater evil isn't the team itself but its insufferable fan base. Bruins fans only bother you when they have something to crow about. Leafs fans are like herpes. win or lose you can never be rid of them. You can only control them. The best way to do that is for their team not to win. Not ever, if possible.
    Yeah, this

The ones on forum boards aren't to bad, as one deals with then enough to not hate one another, but those you meet in person are insufferable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    boston i get
    leafs though....meh
    Yeah, when it comes to the on-ice stuff between Leafs/Habs, the rivalry doesn't really exist, and never really has in my life-time. Between the Leafs' long stretch in the Western conference, the lack of playoff series, and the tendency of the two franchises to take turns being awful, the "rivalry" is purely a historical thing at this point.

For me, the Leaf/Hab rivalry today mainly comes down to the fact that, out of every 10 hockey fans in Toronto, it seems like at least one or two of them are the most vile creature imaginable: someone who grew up in/lives in Toronto, yet they hate the Maple Leafs and love the Canadiens with equal degrees of passion.

When you have always known a few of those people throughout your life, it does add something to Toronto/Montreal games. Either way, someone's having to put up with some trash talk afterwards.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    Yeah, when it comes to the on-ice stuff between Leafs/Habs, the rivalry doesn't really exist, and never really has in my life-time. Between the Leafs' long stretch in the Western conference, the lack of playoff series, and the tendency of the two franchises to take turns being awful, the "rivalry" is purely a historical thing at this point.

For me, the Leaf/Hab rivalry today mainly comes down to the fact that, out of every 10 hockey fans in Toronto, it seems like at least one or two of them are the most vile creature imaginable: someone who grew up in/lives in Toronto, yet they hate the Maple Leafs and love the Canadiens with equal degrees of passion.

When you have always known a few of those people throughout your life, it does add something to Toronto/Montreal games. Either way, someone's having to put up with some trash talk afterwards.
    Do you feel the rivalry with Ottawa is more intense?

I think I read a poll over the last couple of years that had fans in Toronto saying the Montreal/Toronto rivavlry is more intense/greater than Ottawa/Toronto.
    Go Habs Go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Do you feel the rivalry with Ottawa is more intense?

I think I read a poll over the last couple of years that had fans in Toronto saying the Montreal/Toronto rivavlry is more intense/greater than Ottawa/Toronto.
    It definitely was for a while. During the late 90's/early 00's, at the height of the "Battle of Ontario" years, I despised the Sens.

That's died off a fair bit, though.

The Leafs going into the tank for an entire decade certainly didn't help keep the rivalry going. But it also kind of feels like the Sens organization and their fans have kind of thrown in the towel. The Sens have become a cheapskate, Mickey Mouse organization that mainly aspires to be mediocre, and save their owner as much money as possible.

And then not only do Leaf fans completely take over their building whenever the Leafs play in Ottawa, but Ottawa fans can't even be bothered to show up to their team's own playoff games.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

After my family moved from Montreal to Toronto (and later Oshawa) I went from not knowing that Leafs fans existed to being surrounded by people who were more delusional than your average Trump supporter. I suddenly found myself in arguments where Leafs fans would try to tell me with a straight face that Sittler and MacDonald were better than Lafleur and Shutt, that Ian Turnbull and Borje Salming were better than Robinson and Lapointe, and that Mike Freakin' Palmateer was better than Dryden. Like arguing with Trump supporters, objective fact and logic were ignored by these people. They chose to believe their own truth and deny anything that contradicted their chosen narrative, like anti-vaxxers or flat-earthers. So you'd better believe that I made the most of those two 4-game playoff sweeps in 78 and 79.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Pleks won't be used much in Tor. I'm already getting messages from my Leaf buddies complaining about him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Pleks won't be used much in Tor. I'm already getting messages from my Leaf buddies complaining about him.
    He wasn't ever going to be used much, considering he was acquired as a Dominic Moore upgrade. Once Matthews is back, he'll be back on the 4th line.

As for his performance---I dunno. He didn't come in and blow the doors off, but he's generally been pretty solid.

Particularly when you consider that in the two-and-a-half days since learning he'd been traded to Toronto, he's flown to Toronto for a physical, caught a second flight down to Miami to join the rest of the team, and then played on back-to-back nights against Tampa & Florida.

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He wasn't ever going to be used much, considering he was acquired as a Dominic Moore upgrade. Once Matthews is back, he'll be back on the 4th line.

As for his performance---I dunno. He didn't come in and blow the doors off, but he's generally been pretty solid.

Particularly when you consider that in the two-and-a-half days since learning he'd been traded to Toronto, he's flown to Toronto for a physical, caught a second flight down to Miami to join the rest of the team, and then played on back-to-back nights against Tampa & Florida.
    yeah not sure why anyone would expect him all of a sudden to become a scorer given he has 17 goals in two seasons. He will give you solid defence and leadership. That is why you got him for 18 games and playoffs.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Yup, you can see it on the leafs board now as well.

I'm not sure anybody is impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

And shaved off his goatee. Don't forget that. For him it must feel like playing without wearing a helmet.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And shaved off his goatee. Don't forget that. For him it must feel like playing without wearing a helmet.
    Lou probably makes the Leaf players do full body shaves as he watches...
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

I laughed when he showed up to his first meeting with Toronto reporters cleanly shaven.

At least for his sake, Lou let him keep the turtlenecks.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I laughed when he showed up to his first meeting with Toronto reporters cleanly shaven.

At least for his sake, Lou let him keep the turtlenecks.
    Won't Lou even let your players grow those ugly playoff beards?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678