• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

CH - History and Traditions

Bob Gainey who was one of the Habs best Captains had character, he wasn't a top notch high talent.. I understand why "millennials" don't understand the term "character" in sports, you were brought up getting golden stars for just showing up... :) .. but it does exist.

Back in the days before they gave students ribbons for finishing 9th (or finishing at all) in intramural track and field. "Everyone's a winner!" means that nobody really wins or, as Peter Gabriel once sang "How can we be in if there is no outside?"

Bob Gainey who was one of the Habs best Captains had character, he wasn't a top notch high talent.. I understand why "millennials" don't understand the term "character" in sports, you were brought up getting golden stars for just showing up... :) .. but it does exist.

no issue at all with the captain not being top notch high talent
gallagher fits that bill

what i find funny about your millennials comment....
1a) that TRY hard even if you are not that good thing is supposed to be a millennial thing...so it is you wanting to get a gold star for showing up
1b) it is your generation that rewarded kids for participation - so it makes sense that you see it that way - it was not the kids rewarding themselves
2) the entire league save for the really old guys like chara are millenials

personally i do not care either way about the captain...good player....bad player....medium player...whatever
but being a hard worker does not make you a good leader / captain
- gallagher might make a good captain but him being a hard worker will have nothing to do with it - him crying about subban 1.5 years later has me lean the other way on him

gallagher fits that bill

1a) that TRY hard even if you are not that good thing is supposed to be a millennial thing...so it is you wanting to get a gold star for showing up
1b) it is your generation that rewarded kids for participation - so it makes sense that you see it that way - it was not the kids rewarding themselves

personally i do not care either way about the captain...good player....bad player....medium player...whatever
- gallagher might make a good captain but him being a hard worker will have nothing to do with it - him crying about subban 1.5 years later has me lean the other way on him
He doesn't put his feet up when he gets a penalty so all is good.

gallagher fits that bill

oh I agree with that, the "baby boomers" have ****ed up things badly in so many ways.. I am hopeful that the next generation after the millennials will fix it.. as far as me wanting the "gold star" for showing up, no way, I earned everything I got in my life, both good or bad... I am too competitive to settle what everyone else gets..if they got a gold star, I want higher....

oh I agree with that, the "baby boomers" have ****ed up things badly in so many ways.. I am hopeful that the next generation after the millennials will fix it.. as far as me wanting the "gold star" for showing up, no way, I earned everything I got in my life, both good or bad... I am too competitive to settle what everyone else gets..if they got a gold star, I want higher....

i was referring to you wanting gallagher to get a gold star (captaincy) for trying hard

btw i love that quote and i am stealing it
" I earned everything I got in my life, both good or bad"

i was referring to you wanting gallagher to get a gold star (captaincy) for trying hard

btw i love that quote and i am stealing it
" I earned everything I got in my life, both good or bad"

I think Gally would be a good Captain, he leads by example, he was a very good Captain when he was a Vancouver Giant..

wait...so success does matter?

It's a factor but not necessarily the determining factor. Pee-wee teams usually give the C to their highest-scoring player but pro teams often use more than just one metric. Leadership isn't only measured on the stat sheet. Lafleur was consistently our best point producer during the late 70's but he was never what you'd consider Captain material.

Back