• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Rangers 3/31 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Next to last home game, in a building that will be full of Rangers fans. The Rangers are coming off a 7-3 beating in Tampa last night and have won 1 of their last 7. But the Canes are 0-3 against them and have been outscored 17-5.

It’s a Homegrown game and the first Fan Appreciation night, with the Jerseys off their backs. Our record in those games is abysmal, IIRC.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Not sure how many Rags fans there will be given that they're as dead in the water as the Canes are. More than will be comfortable, for sure ... but probably not a full swarm.

For the record ... hummingbird cake is good. Go get some.

If you’re watching on TV, it’s Sebastian Aho night. There will be an iso camera on him every shift.

Looking forward to the hummingbird cake.

I think it's Mascot Night also ... so many nights crammed into one night.

Yes, and it's also "turn out the light, Irene" night as well. Getting ready to leave so I can enjoy a little tailgating. C'mon, Canes - let's break the spell against the Rangers!

Last edited:
This game has many hallmarks for disaster. mostly The Rangers...But that's going against our win worthless games film at 11. so who knows (Let's ask the Shadow)

Justin Faulk, Bill Peters - please book a one-way ticket out of here. I don't know what it is about the Rangers, but I'm having a hard time remembering when we last beat them. Also, I don't remember when we won a "shirts off the players back" night. We had plenty of energy and hustle, but poor passing and the Justin Faulk give-aways continue to define this team.

It wasn't just Faulk, the entire team for most of the game were listless and disinterested, slow and sluggish. They were NOT a team and didn't pay much attention to each other. Helter-skelter comes to mind. Bah and blah.

If the rags had played much better themselves it woulda been a blowout!

Nice to see zykov out on the power play and parked in front of king Henry when we had an empty net. Or maybe not, huh peters you master strategist

It wasn't just Faulk, the entire team for most of the game were listless and disinterested, slow and sluggish. They were NOT a team and didn't pay much attention to each other. Helter-skelter comes to mind. Bah and blah.

If the rags had played much better themselves it woulda been a blowout!

Probably thinking of chocolate bunnies and where that one undiscovered egg from last year lies.

Nice to see zykov out on the power play and parked in front of king Henry when we had an empty net. Or maybe not, huh peters you master strategist

Yeah ... Peters decided the crap fest in the first period and a half was all down to Zykov and that he'd rather double shift Ryan than see the kid on the ice for more than a handful of shifts after the middle of the 2nd. I mean, Ryan made a nice play off the wall for the one goal we scored but you REALLY have to wonder what goes through our coach's head sometimes. Most of the time. All of the time.

And the Rags TRIED to let us back in that game. Nope. Not gonna be that easy guys. On the positive side, I emptied out my food and bev credit last night so I'm DONE. My daughter can "enjoy" the home closer in my place next weekend. I want absolutely nothing to do with this team for a couple of months. So much so that I went ahead and renewed my tickets this morning just to keep from failing to do so as a useless form of protest. I'm still as likely to bail before the season starts as I am to actually stick with the payment plan. We'll see how the summer goes.

I think Peters would be better off as the third family member in the new Stormy family (is the girl still around)? Or maybe coaching the mascot intermission game

I think Peters would be better off as the third family member in the new Stormy family (is the girl still around)? Or maybe coaching the mascot intermission game

Oh yeah ... they even figured out how to ruin mascot night last night. No Mr or Mrs Wolf, no Blue Devil, no Rexie ... just Ramses, Chubby (clearly a substitute Chubby who can't skate), Wooly and Muddy and some stupid shark head thing for Mako plus a couple of generic randos. And Caroline the Ice Hog freaking cheerleading, because she clearly can't skate either. I mean, something so easy and they made an abject travesty of it. Perfect metaphor for the current State of the Canes.

2 shifts in the 3rd period, the 2nd of which lasted 12 seconds and ended with 12:18 left. A total of 1:05.

Oh yeah ... they even figured out how to ruin mascot night last night. No Mr or Mrs Wolf, no Blue Devil, no Rexie ... just Ramses, Chubby (clearly a substitute Chubby who can't skate), Wooly and Muddy and some stupid shark head thing for Mako plus a couple of generic randos. And Caroline the Ice Hog freaking cheerleading, because she clearly can't skate either. I mean, something so easy and they made an abject travesty of it. Perfect metaphor for the current State of the Canes.

I had a Rangers fan--who is also a sports broadcasting and marketing consultant--with me at the game and he was astounded at how stupid mascot hockey is as a between-periods promotion. We were laughing at how the crowd at MSG would react if they ever put on something so stupid. The worst part is they make Wade Lindner call play-by-play, as if anyone's paying attention.

Meh ... I actually like mascot hockey most of the time. It's dumb as heck, but it's fun in a minor league baseball sort of way. There's just no point to it if you're going to half ass it like that nonsense. And this isn't New York, it's the south. You can do cheesy here ... you just need to do it well.

Kind of sums up my feelings about Dundon's tenure as owner so far. Clueless and tone deaf.

Benching Zykov in a game where we could only manage one goal sums up how big an moron Bill Peters is. No PP time either...that made a lot of sense Bill.

Get Zykov back to the Checkers pronto if this is the crap usage he will get over these final games.

Back