• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ultimate Sim League

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
I've actually created a board dedicated to the league. It would be more of a "Sim League." IMO this would be a super fascinating league.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Ultimate_Sim_League/index/

I have tried to come up with rules to make player values increase/decrease in a way that we don't have to rely on NHL GMs... but yet we can't just get a guy super cheap any take advantage of that year after year. I think I've done a pretty good job... but would be willing to discuss ways to tweak things.

We would try for 31 teams but that seems lofty. I don't think I'd want to do less than 16-20 though. Everyone picks an NHL team name. I have dibs on the Habs.

We would start with a $75M (or whatever the NHL cap is) budget for the inaugural auction.

1. Inaugural Draft

League starts with a live auction
Everyone has a $75m auction budget
All player salaries are set by the auction price

2. Salaries/Contracts

As stated in (1.2) all salaries are based on auction price
Auction contracts are for one year.
If you want to sign a player beyond the one year you have to give them a raise based on their age on or before September 15th.

Draftee ELCs (entry level contracts for players taken in the annual entry draft)
Top 3 picks: 3 years @ 4% of their draft year cap ceiling
#4-10: 3 years @ 3% of their draft year cap ceiling
#11-31: 3 years @ 2% of their draft year cap ceiling
2nd-5th round: 3 years @ the league minimum each year

Ages 18-25
10% raise for a 2 year contract
12.5% for a 3 year contract
15% for a 4 year contract
20% for a 5 year contract

Ages 26-30
12.5% raise for a 2 year contract
15% for a 3 year contract
17.5% for a 4 year contract
22.5% for a 5 year contract

Ages 31-35
15% raise for a 2 year contract
17.5% for a 3 year contract
20% for a 4 year contract
22.5% for a 5 year contract

Ages 35+
0% raise for a 2 year contract
-10% for a 3 year contract
-15% for a 4 year contract
-20% for a 5 year contract

All contracts will be based on the player's age as of September 15th of the current season even if the player changes age brackets at some point during the contract.

Offer-sheets
All players coming off of their 3 year ELC are subject to offer-sheets.
There will be a 1 week offer-sheet period, beginning at 8am EST the day after the Stanley Cup finals are completed each season.
To present an "offer-sheet" you must PM (private message) the owner of said player with your offer. Your offer is the salary you are willing to pay that player on a 3 year contract. After 1 week all managers making offers will post their offers in the offer-sheet thread and the owner will confirm which was the highest offer received.

The player owner will have 2 days to announce his decision to match or not.
If he matches he will sign the player for 85% of the highest bid for 3 years with an option for an extra year for the full amount of the highest bid.

Offer-sheet Compensation
If a manager does not match, the highest bidder must pay the same compensation that the NHL has set out that season.

2017-18 Scale

$1,300,000 or below
None

Over $1,300,000 to $2,000,000
3rd round pick

Over $2,000,000 to $4,000,000
2nd round pick

Over $4,000,000 to $6,000,000
1st round and 3rd round pick

Over $6,000,000 to $8,000,000
1st round, 2nd round and 3rd round pick

Over $8,000,000 to $10,000,000
Two 1st round picks, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick

Over $10,000,000
Four 1st round picks

Buyouts

There will be a 1 week buyout period, beginning at 8am the day after the Stanley Cup finals are completed each season. Every team is permitted a maximum of 3 buyouts per year. The penalty for a buyout is the total of 30% of the salary for the length of the contract.
All players who were bought out are become free agents and enter the FA pool.

3. Free Agency

All players not under contract to be dropped from your team at least 1 week before the FA auction (date to be determined each season)
Each year all free agents will be in the free agent auction
Each team will enter the auction with their remaining cap space

**All players not extended by Jan 1st of the final year of their contract WILL become free agents at season's end and will be put into the free agent auction.**

In Season drops and Waiver Wire
Players can dropped during the season, however the team dropping a player will retain all but $1M (to be changed in future years) of the player's salary cap hit for the entire length of the player's contract.

*If another team picks the player up off of waivers the new team inherits the entire contract. These players are eligible for contract extensions.

**If the player is picked up in a future FA auction, the orignal team is only responsible for the difference between the original contract and new contract minus $1M provided the contract is lower. (teams are responsible for tracking these players for themselves.)

Adding Players In Season
Any player picked up from the free agent list will have a salary of $650k in 2017-18 (NHL Minimum) and cannot be extended. They will re-enter the next FA auction.

4. Trades:

All trades will be immediately executed through Fantrax. However if there is a protest it will be reviewed and discussed. Only trades deemed to be extremely unfair or a result of collusion will be vetoed. If a trade is deemed to be a result of collusion both managers may be expelled from the league.

Salary retention: We will use NHL Rules...

The acquiring team must assume at least 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap charge of the SPC.
Such a contract can only be traded twice using provision 1 during the lifetime of the SPC.
Retained salary by the trading team cannot be more than 15 percent of the upper salary cap limit.
A maximum of 3 such contracts with salary retained in a trade can be on a team's books at any one time.

5. Rosters:

Weekly Lineup Changes
10 Forwards
5 Defensemen
1 Goalie
7 Bench
15 Minors in year 1
20 Minors in year 2
25 Minors in year 3
30 Minors in year 4 (capped at 30)

Minor league eligibility:
Any player who is under 27 years old and hasn't played 82 NHL games is eligible for the minors.

Playoff Rosters

Lineups can only be changed at the beginning of each round
6 Forwards
3 Defensemen
1 Goalie

6. Standings

***Loopholes will be closed immediately and any deals that exploit loopholes will be nulified.***

Last edited:
Re: Idea For a New League

Any thoughts on the rules at all?

I know they look a little confusing but I don't think they are. I really believe this would be as close to being an actual GM and have salaries grow "organically." You make decisions on players and make offers on players based on your value of them. Not that an NHL GM way overpaid and now you're stuck with a terrible contract or have to drop the guy.

I like the idea but finding that many managers who will be that involved seems unlikely to me.

Well... we are dismantling one league so there could be a bunch right off the bat. I also believe that the rules will lend to trading and also to people being more invested in the management of their team.

And it's better for most of us cause it's a weekly league.

But yeah, it's not easy to find 16 or more dedicated managers.

im intrigued by the idea but it does seem overly complicated

I hear you man... but I think it will be easier than it appears.

Also, the "risk/reward" is worth it though. If it does suck then it fails... but if it works it could be awesome.

The "confusing part" only comes up when you want to re-sign players... and it's not like we won't have a ton of time to sort it out.

Looking like we are approaching 10 interested managers. We should be able to get to 16 and hopefully 20 dedicated managers.

I think we should start with $20 for the first year while everyone gets a feel for the league then up it to $40 in year two.

I would like to be interested but not sure I have the time these days for all the league's we have going.

Okay, I'd like to get the ball rolling on this. I've had at least 8 people say "if there's enough interest, I'm in." So let's get signed up and claim your team. Let's see where we sit and how many teams we have. The more people that are in, the easier it will be to get others to commit.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Ultimate_Sim_League/index/ Go to the Rules board to pick your team.

Okay, so I have another manager that says he's in if there's enough interest. I think that brings us up to 10 or so that are "in if there's enough interest." So far we have 2 committed.

Montreal Canadiens - Habspatrol

Toronto Maple Leafs - Axlsalinger

I know there are a bunch of interested people. Sign up, let's get the ball rolling.

If it turns out that you don't like the interest level or the rules, then you can back out. But let's give this a chance... I really think it's going to be a unique and fun league where you very much control salaries and contracts.

So long as I can be around for the live draft, I'd give this a go.

I'll take the Vegas Golden Knights.

Okay, so we have 4 teams claimed.

Eastern Conference

Western Conference

Vegas Golden Knights - Ferg

Dallas Stars - Tully

Last edited:
Dallas Stars. No idea what my login is for that other board, but I’ll find it later tonight and post there, as well.

That's 5

Eastern Conference

Western Conference

Chicago Blackhawks - Jonas

Dallas Stars - Tully

St.Louis Blues - Deckie

Vegas Golden Knights - Ferg

Last edited:
Just bumping this. We have 6 and I know that there were a handful of others that said they were interested if there was enough interest. Let's get signed up to see how many we have.

Back