• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I disagree. Supporting the Saudis is a political loser here. The Congress is trying to take back the power constitutionally afforded them that has been slowly co-opted by the executive branch. I’m all for that regardless of who is in power. They need to stop letting the executive branch stomp all over the constitution. It’s the purview of Congress to wage war. Enough of these “police actions” that LBJ started long ago and many presidents have abused since.

Exactly.

except what you think is happening and is making you guys happy is not actually happening yet.

the Senate bill is more like a long overdue virtue signal than anything else. I mean sure it may be the first step in getting to the desired outcome, but it is hardly a given that that outcome is ever reached. and pretty much a certainty that nothing material changes until the next Congress is sworn in.

keep in mind almost every Republican Senator still voted against the bill

Graham will not back down, he has had a long standing disdain for the Saudis. Going against this is a political loser and I suspect Trump will let congress levy sanctions while he sits there playing both sides.

Did someone say they stopped the war?

your post, #107819, said "talk about getting shit done"

I have just been pointing out that they haven't really gotten any substantiveshit done. unless passing a bill that will not impact the conflict that is the subject matter of the bill constitutes "getting shit done".

keep in mind I have always maintained that passage of the bill is a good thing, and should be celebrated. it just doesn't quite mean much of anything yet, in terms of y'know, actually impacting the conflict.

oh man even down and out Chris Christie won't take the job.

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1
White House aides/advisers told us this morning that Christie was a leading contender for chief of staff. @PhilipRucker & I had just finished astory. And now Christie puts out statement saying he's declining. So that's how this week has gone.

It’ll end up being Kushner because nobody wants it. Wouldn’t it be funny if Kushner declines too?

your post, #107819, said "talk about getting shit done"

I have just been pointing out that they haven't really gotten any substantiveshit done. unless passing a bill that will not impact the conflict that is the subject matter of the bill constitutes "getting shit done".

keep in mind I have always maintained that passage of the bill is a good thing, and should be celebrated. it just doesn't quite mean much of anything yet, in terms of y'know, actually impacting the conflict.

That's your opinion.

Getting the US Senate to vote against an unauthorized war and assert its constitutional authority is hugely significant, regardless of how much you want to trivialize it.

MSNBC @MSNBC
BREAKING: After GOP election loses, Wisconsin Gov. Walker signs a sweeping package of Republican-authored lame-duck legislation that restricts early voting and weakens the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general.

ProPublica @ProPublica
SCOOP: As the inaugural committee planned the event, concerns were raised about whether Trump’s DC hotel was overcharging, according to emails. Ivanka was in the middle of the deal.

The inaug is committee is now reportedly under criminal investigation.

Ari Berman @AriBerman
How Scott Walked destroyed democracy in Wisconsin:

Signed lame duck coup stripping power from Dems

Gutted unions

Worst gerrymandering in US

Voter ID law disenfranchised thousands

Eviscerated campaign finance

This is his legacy

#bothsides

Manu Raju
@mkraju
Hatch issues statement regretting comments he made to me earlier this week about Trump and Cohen allegations. Says no one is above the law. Video of his initial comments in our story here

how quaint - a republican with an iota of shame left.

hatch:

Earlier this week in an unplanned hallway interview with CNN, I made comments about allegations against the President that were irresponsible and a poor reflection on my lengthy record of dedication to the rule of law.

While I don’t believe Michael Cohen is any kind of reliable voice in this process, I have expressed confidence in Bob Mueller and his investigation countless times, including writing in the Wall Street Journal that he must be allowed to complete his investigation. Last October, when Paul Manafort and Rick Gates were indicted, I said, “I believe that it’s in the best interest for all parties involved to allow Bob Mueller to conduct a full and vigorous investigation.” More recently, this August I acknowledged that the campaign finance allegations were “some serious charges, and they can’t be ignored.”

I continue to believe that, and when we see Mueller’s full report and the complete filings from the New York U.S. Attorney’s office, we can determine the path forward. While I believe the President has succeeded in a number of important policy areas, that success is separate from the validity of these investigations, which I believe should be allowed to run their course.

I also said in the unplanned hallway interview that “you can make anything a crime under the current laws.” I’ve long believed our criminal code is simply too large. I’ve proposed legislation to reduce overcriminalization, simplify our criminal code, and reinvigorate criminal intent requirements. (See here, here, here, here, and here.) But at a time when faith in so many of our institutions is at an all-time low, I regret speaking imprudently. I don’t believe the President broke the law, but one of the core principles of our country is that no one is above the law. That means anyone who does break the law should face appropriate consequences.

he must have heard some details of what was coming.

Manu Raju
@mkraju
Hatch issues statement regretting comments he made to me earlier this week about Trump and Cohen allegations. Says no one is above the law. Video of his initial comments in our story here

how quaint - a republican with an iota of shame left.

He’s retiring in January. Add that to the calculus.

Back