Page 5587 of 5616 FirstFirst ... 45875087548755375577558555865587558855895597 ... LastLast
Results 111,721 to 111,740 of 112319

Thread: OT: American Politics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: American Politics

My two cents....

Buttigieg would be a good fit because he really is the most centrist like Biden. If they go with what Pelosi says they will come at this with a more centrist candidate like Joe and Buttigeig as the vp.

The thing that grosses me out about the GOP's views of women, and pro life etc is the idea that these are old white men making moral judgements who you KNOW probably have a tonne of skeletons in their closets with abortions, infidelity, "jungle fever" etc.

These people are interpreting the bible as sharia law is interpreted by the muslim community.
    This is hypocrisy on the greatest level.

I will bet money that Lindsey Graham has had a gay fling and the rest of the GOP that voted for this in Alabama, Kentucky or what other backwater state have had a history of adultery, rape and even abortion cases in their lives.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    My two cents....

Buttigieg would be a good fit because he really is the most centrist like Biden. If they go with what Pelosi says they will come at this with a more centrist candidate like Joe and Buttigeig as the vp.

The thing that grosses me out about the GOP's views of women, and pro life etc is the idea that these are old white men making moral judgements who you KNOW probably have a tonne of skeletons in their closets with abortions, infidelity, "jungle fever" etc.

These people are interpreting the bible as sharia law is interpreted by the muslim community.

I will bet money that Lindsey Graham has had a gay fling and the rest of the GOP that voted for this in Alabama, Kentucky or what other backwater state have had a history of adultery, rape and even abortion cases in their lives.

That's a doozie for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

My aunt and uncle (who I used to actually be pretty close with but they both blocked me on Facebook for commenting on their insane ramblings about Parkland victims) are big time evangelicals + Trump supporters.

They think we need a rapture because society has become evil in accepting abortions. They are regular Fox News watchers, shared Alex Jones shit, idolize Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Rielly, Jordan Peterson, Hannity etc. They believe Trump was chosen by God to restore Christian values. They think teachers should carry firearms.

It really is pretty cult-like. And yes, they're Canadian.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the right wingers want more individual freedom and less govt control?

So weird.

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    I thought the right wingers want more individual freedom and less govt control?

So weird.
    except with respect to uteri
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy how close all these states were...

Michigan 0.3% 13,080 votes (173,057 voted for G. Johnson)
    Wisconsin 1.0 % 27,257 votes (106,442 voted for G. Johnson)
    Pennsylvania 1.2% 68,236 votes (142,653 voted for G. Johnson)
    Florida 1.2% 114,455 votes (206,007 voted for G. Johnson)

Seems like a Democrat could win those first three now pretty easily. Florida I doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hockeylover View Post
    Crazy how close all these states were...

Michigan 0.3% 13,080 votes (173,057 voted for G. Johnson)
    Wisconsin 1.0 % 27,257 votes (106,442 voted for G. Johnson)
    Pennsylvania 1.2% 68,236 votes (142,653 voted for G. Johnson)
    Florida 1.2% 114,455 votes (206,007 voted for G. Johnson)

Seems like a Democrat could win those first three now pretty easily. Florida I doubt.
    How many Gary Johnson voters would have voted democrats?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    How many Gary Johnson voters would have voted democrats?
    No idea how we could answer that. I'm guessing some people "bothsidesed" the election and thought well, they both suck so I'm not giving either of them my vote.

Especially since Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania all seem to go Democrat since like '92.

Also looks like votes for 3rd party candidates went from 2.2 million in 2012 to 7.8 million in 2016.

They didn't like Hillary. And a coordinated Facebook campaign against her by the Russians in those three states probably didn't help.
    Last edited by hockeylover; 05-17-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My aunt and uncle (who I used to actually be pretty close with but they both blocked me on Facebook for commenting on their insane ramblings about Parkland victims) are big time evangelicals + Trump supporters.

They think we need a rapture because society has become evil in accepting abortions. They are regular Fox News watchers, shared Alex Jones shit, idolize Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Rielly, Jordan Peterson, Hannity etc. They believe Trump was chosen by God to restore Christian values. They think teachers should carry firearms.

Sad story. But that's the reality of this political climate, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leaffan2005 View Post
    Sad story. But that's the reality of this political climate, unfortunately.
    Yep. Before Trump - never a word from them regarding anything to do with politics, ever.

Post Thanks / Like

No idea how we could answer that. I'm guessing some people "bothsidesed" the election and thought well, they both suck so I'm not giving either of them my vote.

Especially since Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania all seem to go Democrat since like '92.

Also looks like votes for 3rd party candidates went from 2.2 million in 2012 to 7.8 million in 2016.

They didn't like Hillary. And a coordinated Facebook campaign against her by the Russians in those three states probably didn't help.
    You know who else voted libertarian?

Habsy.

If Habsy was to vote for someone else, who would it have been?

Remember the near daily rants about Obama?

See the relative calm of the trump administration?

I think we know how that Gary Johnson vote breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    You know who else voted libertarian?

Habsy.

If Habsy was to vote for someone else, who would it have been?

Remember the near daily rants about Obama?

See the relative calm of the trump administration?

I think we know how that Gary Johnson vote breaks.
    You really suggesting everyone voted for a complete nobody third party candidate for the same reasons? In states that nearly always go blue?

That seems stupid to me.

Post Thanks / Like

You really suggesting everyone voted for a complete nobody third party candidate for the same reasons? In states that nearly always go blue?

That seems stupid to me.
    Fair

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...133105145d/amp

Respondents were asked their preferences for president. Gary Johnson was the preference of 8.4% of all respondents. Those who indicated a preference for a third party candidate were then asked what they would do if only Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were on the ballot. Among Johnson supporters, 30.2% said they would vote for Clinton if Johnson was not on the ballot while 15.1% said they would vote for Trump. The rest indicated that they would simply not vote for chose not to answer the question.

On first pass, these figures suggest that Johnson pulled more voters from Hillary Clinton than he did from Donald Trump. We can extrapolate from this to make a quick “back of the envelope” estimate of how the vote returns would have been in these four decisive swing states if the Johnson voters had gone for either Clinton or Trump to the degree that they indicated in our survey. In other words, we took the total number of Johnson votes and redistributed 30% of them to Clinton, 15% to Trump, and assumed the other 55% would not have voted. This is what our estimate produced:

WISCONSIN: Trump 1,419,755, Clinton 1,412,946

FLORIDA: Trump 4,636,622, Clinton 4,547,959

PENNSYLVANIA: Trump 2,934,481, Clinton 2,887,786

MICHIGAN: Trump 2,305,937, Clinton 2,320,456

Analyzing the four swing states where Johnson beat the margin of victory, Michigan is the only one that would have flipped had all Johnson voters gone with their second preference as indicated by our survey results. Michigan accounts for only 16 Electoral College votes. Even if Michigan had awarded its electoral votes to Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump would still have win the electoral vote by a comfortable margin of 290-248.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OT: American Politics

I would have not voted.

I believe what I believe. Doesn’t bother me that you think differently.

You should also know I consider myself Libertarian.
    Last edited by Habsy; 05-17-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    My two cents....

There is one thing you seem to miss, the pro-life movement is driven by the women behind those “old white men”. They’re the ones betraying their own gender.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, that's better than I thought. I feel better about Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin in 2020 now.

It's pretty clear Clinton was despised by a lot of people so if more Johnson voters said their second choice was Clinton instead of Trump then I'd imagine even more of 'em will vote for Biden.

I'm also guessing that some people who voted for Trump in 2016 will be frustrated by the constant circus and might give their boat to a third party instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just can’t see the corruption of the true teachings of Christ in Christianity.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Before Trump - never a word from them regarding anything to do with politics, ever.
    That doesn’t mean they weren’t thinking it. They feel emboldened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    I would have not voted.

I believe what I believe. Doesn’t bother me that you think differently.
    Not sure who you're talking to here. Me?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure who you're talking to here. Me?
    Altair, in response to the article he posted about percentages of voters. I’d have fallen in with the no vote crowd on Trump v Clinton.

I should have been more clear.

Page 5587 of 5616 FirstFirst ... 45875087548755375577558555865587558855895597 ... LastLast