• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

equal parts incredible and terrifying from my seat

Yeah, like, if this were a TV series, it would be so awesome to watch. The plot twists, the "man, can they really do that on TV?" type of moments.

But to have it happen live, it's still fascinating to watch, except for the fact that it impacts so much of our lives that we're scared for the future. Like when John Oliver was on Colbert last week, Colbert asked him what gave him hope, and Oliver took an awfully long time to find something.

Josh Kovensky @JoshKovensky
2m
Everyone should read the sentencing submission in the Cesar Sayoc mail bombing case, where his defense attorneys chronicle how he descended into insanity on a diet of Trump tweets and Fox News: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/cesar-sayoc-trump-radicalization

....In a section titled “Mr. Sayoc’s political radicalization,” attorneys described how Sayoc — suffering from mental illness and working as a part-time pizza delivery man and part-time strip club DJ — found solace in self-help books on tape.

“It was from these books that he discovered Donald Trump, whose audiobooks Mr. Sayoc credits with saving his life,” the attorneys wrote. “Mr. Sayoc viewed Donald Trump as everything he wanted to be: self-made, successful, and a ‘playboy.'”

Sayoc lost his home during the 2008 financial crisis. With ongoing steroid use and the death of close family members, attorneys wrote, his mental condition continued to deteriorate.

When Trump announced his candidacy in 2015, the memo reads, Sayoc “found a calling for the first time in years.”

Having not been “especially political” before the 2016 campaign season, Sayoc “came to view Trump as a personal champion—someone who had helped him through the most difficult periods of his life and who could do the same for other people across the country.”

Sayoc got involved in the Trump campaign itself as a low-level volunteer, “passing out flyers, and covering his van in pro-Trump stickers,” his lawyers wrote in the memo. He also began to devote more time to social media, joining “hundreds of right-wing Facebook groups” which promoted “the idea that Trump’s critics were dangerous, unpatriotic, and evil” as well as “provocative language to depict Democrats as murderous, terroristic, and violent.”

“Fox News furthered these arguments,” the memo adds.

Adding to Sayoc’s descent, his attorneys argued, was his obsession with Trump’s Twitter account, where the President portrayed Sayoc’s future targets as “dangerous, corrupt, and un-American.”

“The combination of his cognitive deficiencies, steroid-induced delusional thinking, political naiveté, and his isolation resulted in Mr. Sayoc being unable to critically evaluate these claims,” the memo reads.

“He truly believed wild conspiracy theories he read on the internet, many of which vilified Democrats and spread rumors that Trump supporters were in danger because of them. He heard it from the President of the United States, a man with whom he felt he had a deep personal connection. He read it on almost every website he visited. He saw it on Fox News, which he watched at the start and end of his day. And it was reinforced to him on social media,” attorneys wrote.

Sayoc began to contemplate his failed bombing campaign in the run-up to the November 2018 midterms, seeing it as a chance to “help the country or defend it (and himself) from people who were working to do harm.”...

NBC Politics @NBCPolitics

Director Wray says FBI made about 100 domestic terrorism arrests this year, and a “majority of the domestic terrorism cases that we have investigated are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence.”

#sendthemback

Josh Kovensky @JoshKovensky
2m
Everyone should read the sentencing submission in the Cesar Sayoc mail bombing case, where his defense attorneys chronicle how he descended into insanity on a diet of Trump tweets and Fox News: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/cesar-sayoc-trump-radicalization

The one about the guy that killed the crime boss is crazy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/nyregion/gambino-shooting-anthony-comello-frank-cali.html

https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/gambino-mob-boss-frank-cali-killing-everything-we-know.html

According to documents, which were obtained by the New York Times, Comello wanted to perform a citizen’s arrest on Cali to help Trump, as he believed the mob boss was part of the “deep state.”

yikes.

"The murder, at first, seemed like a major mob hit out of 1980s New York: In a Staten Island neighborhood with mafia ties, the alleged head of the Gambino crime family gets gunned down outside his home on March 13, where he dies from multiple wounds. But as the story has developed, the details surrounding it have only grown to be increasingly bizarre, showing that this murder was no mob hit at all......

....Here is where the narrative starts to get more peculiar. At a March 18 extradition hearing in New Jersey, during which Comello agreed to be tried for the murder, he drew on the palm of his hand “MAGA Forever,” as well as a number of phrases relating to right-wing conspiracy theory QAnon: a “Q,” “United We Stand,” and “Patriots in Charge.” (QAnon, which is pro-Trump, popular with 4chan and 8chan users, and incredibly convoluted, posits that there’s a “deep state” trying to take down Trump. In an attempt to describe the right-wing conspiracy theory, the Guardian wrote, “imagine a volatile mix of Pizzagate, InfoWars and the Satanic Panic of the 1980s.”)

On March 26, Gottlieb pointed to not only to “right-wing conspiracy websites,” but also hate speech coming from “politicians, including right at the White House” as being highly influential on his client.

“Those words … have an effect,” he said in court. “The truth and the reasons for whatever happened here will become so clear, and will be shown to be directly related to the hate that people are bombarded with every day on the internet and elsewhere.”

Also, another detail worth noting: Per NYPD Deputy Commissioner John Miller and other police sources, Comello attempted to make a number of citizen’s arrests of politicians in the past year. On February 21, he showed up at a federal courthouse in lower Manhattan, asking to make a citizen’s arrest of California Democratic representatives Adam Schiff and Maxine Waters; the next day, he tried to do the same with Mayor Bill de Blasio.....

....Court documents filed on July 19, though, suggest that Comello’s motive may have been based in his adherence to right-wing conspiracy theories.

According to documents, which were obtained by the New York Times, Comello wanted to perform a citizen’s arrest on Cali to help Trump, as he believed the mob boss was part of the “deep state.” (Followers of the deep-state conspiracy believe that a shadowy group of people is actively trying to delegitimize the Trump administration by manipulating government policy.) When Cali didn’t comply with the citizen’s arrest, though, Comello killed him out of fear, per the documents.

“He ardently believed that Francesco Cali, a boss in the Gambino crime family, was a prominent member of the deep state, and, accordingly, an appropriate target for a citizen’s arrest,” Gottlieb wrote. “Mr. Comello became certain that he was enjoying the protection of President Trump himself, and that he had the president’s full support..."

this seems fine.

MSNBC
@MSNBC
WATCH: President Trump says that he could win the 18-year Afghan War in 10 days, because he has plans that could wipe Afghanistan off the face of the Earth and kill 10,000,000 people, but "I don't want to go that route."

CNN @CNN
4m
Afghanistan has demanded the United States clarify remarks made by President Trump, who said the country "would be wiped off the face of the Earth" if he wanted to win the war in Afghanistan. cnn.it/2Y7ot8I

Shimon Prokupecz @ShimonPro
4m
Robert Mueller made a last minute request to have his deputy sworn in for the hearing in case he needed to answer any questions the special counsel could not fully answer himself, according to a source familiar with the matter.

hey good news guys, the president prefers "not to go the route" of wiping 10m people off the face of the planet.

I'm pretty sure Trump is going to lose in 2020. But I'm also pretty sure there is going to be some blowback from his crazy base. A not insignificant number of those nutters are fully convinced of the various conspiracy theory narratives that largely pre date Trump's presidency, and will see any Trump defeat as an illegitimate attack on the freedom of the country.

This is what decades of shit schools looks like

I'm pretty sure Trump is going to lose in 2020. But I'm also pretty sure there is going to be some blowback from his crazy base. A not insignificant number of those nutters are fully convinced of the various conspiracy theory narratives that largely pre date Trump's presidency, and will see any Trump defeat as an illegitimate attack on the freedom of the country.

Yep, I totally agree. Dems are going to win but it’s going to get ugly when they do.

Anyone catching The Loudest Voice (the miniseries about Roger Ailes and the radicalization of Fox New)? Yeah, it will be a mess if he loses.

EAKVVD4WsAE3NsJ

Pretty much everyone was sure he'd lose in 2016. I don't have your confidence and that is likely because I have zero confidence in the Democrats to get it done.

Pretty much everyone was sure he'd lose in 2016. I don't have your confidence and that is likely because I have zero confidence in the Democrats to get it done.

yeah, I'm with you on this one habsy.

I actually think he'll win again as things currently stand. the Dem nomination process and subsequent polls may change my mind, but as of right now, I think he wins reelection.

Back