• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Networks shouldn't cover it.

They should flat out not broadcast blatant lies.

Or maybe they should start to cover it and pull away once he starts to blatantly lie.

The problem with this one, as Daniel Dale commented on Twitter, is that immigration issues are apparently harder to fact-check in real time. Basically, the people who write his immigration lies actually know what the hell they're talking about and can lie more efficiently. Would be great to see the networks fact-check him live on the address, but we'll see how easy that is to do. Maybe they should split-screen him, with the 2nd screen as just Anderson Cooper listening in and shaking his head at the monumental stupidity coming out of Trump's mouth.

The problem with this one, as Daniel Dale commented on Twitter, is that immigration issues are apparently harder to fact-check in real time. Basically, the people who write his immigration lies actually know what the hell they're talking about and can lie more efficiently. Would be great to see the networks fact-check him live on the address, but we'll see how easy that is to do. Maybe they should split-screen him, with the 2nd screen as just Anderson Cooper listening in and shaking his head at the monumental stupidity coming out of Trump's mouth.

15 minute delay with fact checked text in a split screen.

Jacob Kornbluh ��
@jacobkornbluh
Trump "is writing the speech himself."

giphy.gif

Veselnitskaya is facing obstruction charges unrelated to the Trump tower meeting. Where it's interesting though is that the indictment clearly lays out her deep, deep connection to the Kremlin. The claim here is that she basically fabricated documents that were requested in a civil forfeiture case involving a Russian holdings company that she represents.

If what's being laid out is accurate, there's zero doubt that she's a defacto agent of the Kremlin, and there would also be little doubt that this has been known for a number of years and would have been known by anyone remotely politically connected (manafort, stone, etc) at the time of the Trump Tower meeting.

Last edited:
Jon Swaine
@jonswaine
�� NEW: Paul Manafort's attorneys failed to properly redact their filing. They reveal that Mueller alleges Manafort "lied about sharing polling data with Mr. Kilimnik related to the 2016 presidential campaign". Konstantin Kilimnik has alleged ties to Russian intelligence. ��

Jacob Kornbluh ��
@jacobkornbluh
Trump "is writing the speech himself."

Pretty much, illegal immigrants, terrorists, drugs, murderers, overwhelmed, democrats fault, national emergency, funds for the wall, shutdown over.

And I guess it's going to be impossible to stop him.

Sarah Kliff @sarahkliff
In the past two days:
—WA Gov. Inslee has proposed a public option for his state

—CA Gov. Gavin Newsom has rolled out his single-payer plan

—NYC Mayor DeBlasio also out with a public option

Whole lot to watch in the states/cities right now!

Marc E. Elias @marceelias
BREAKING: Supreme Court denies last ditch effort of Virginia GOP to stop court from putting in pace a remedial map to cure their racial gerrymander. #fairmaps

I'm surprised they ruled against it in the end. great stuff. I'm guessing that puts an end to GOP majorities in VA for the forseeable future.

Josh Barro
@jbarro
The complete bad faith of all the conservative commentators claiming to now think billions of dollars for barrier funding inherently important is that Republicans, over and over, chose not to make it a priority in policymaking over the last two years and they didn't care.

Josh Barro @jbarro
1h
It's insulting that we even have to have this conversation -- it's the same as conservatives claiming for YEARS that there was a Republican health care policy agenda and getting all huffy when I would say it didn't exist. ("We have lots of plans!" etc etc)

Josh Barro
@jbarro
Republicans could have put this money in any number of spending bills. They could have even used the reconciliation process to fund additional border security with a simple majority. They would have not needed one Democratic vote. They didn't because it's not actually important.

Josh Barro @jbarro
1h
The facts are obvious: The president thinks a wall sounds cool, and that's why conservatives find it necessary to build one. The wall is not relevant to the broader agenda -- everify, entry-exit visa tracking, reduced legal immigration -- that restrictionists want.

Josh Barro @jbarro
1h
And this ridiculous theater now where the WH thinks they're going to get Democratic support for the wall through talk and talk and talk about a border crisis -- who is this supposed to be fooling? It is such a waste of everybody's time.

David Martosko @dmartosko
Replying to @jbarro @allahpundit
Isn't that a bit like saying that nothing congressional Democrats did in 2010 should be taken seriously because they'd spent all their political capital on Obamacare in 2009 and neglected other things?

Josh Barro @jbarro
Replying to @dmartosko @allahpundit
No. What did Republicans do in 2018? They didn't even pass a budget resolution, which they could have used as a vehicle for a partisan border security bill.

Brian Beutler @brianbeutler
1h
Replying to @jbarro
I kinda doubt an appropriation like this would have withstood a point of order, but generally agree with this.

Shallanon @shallah1164
Replying to @jbarro
Doesn’t the reconciliation process require a budget neutral outcome?

Bobby Kogan @BBKogan
1h
Replying to @brianbeutler @jbarro
They one hundred percent could have done it in reconciliation if they’d wanted to. Unclear if the issue was they didn’t enough care to or didn’t understand reconciliation rules well enough, though they’d have learned it was doable if they were serious about trying to do it.

Erik Wasson @elwasson
1h
Replying to @BBKogan @brianbeutler @jbarro
So they could have set wall up as a mandatory program instead of appropriated to get around guardrail?

Bobby Kogan @BBKogan
1h
Replying to @elwasson @brianbeutler @jbarro
Easy workaround. And they could have allocated themselves the room and/or left a reserve fund for themselves to get around points of order. Easy to do if they’d cared to.

Jon Swaine
@jonswaine
�� NEW: Paul Manafort's attorneys failed to properly redact their filing. They reveal that Mueller alleges Manafort "lied about sharing polling data with Mr. Kilimnik related to the 2016 presidential campaign". Konstantin Kilimnik has alleged ties to Russian intelligence. ��

So is paul manafort giving internal polling results to russian intelligence collusion yet?

"Fox News host Harris Faulkner confronted White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on a fundraising email the Trump 2020 campaign sent out ahead President Donald Trump’s Tuesday night Oval Office speech, saying that she thought the urgent immigration address was supposed to be non-political.

“I want to get a point in, because we got — and I’m sure other networks did to — the Trump Pence campaign letter that went out, PR email, a little while ago,” Faulkner said to Conway, during an interview on Outnumbered Overtime. “It says that the campaign for reelection will try and raise a half million dollars in one day off of tonight’s speech. I thought that these speeches were not supposed to be political. What do you say about that?”

“I haven’t seen that letter, and here at the White House, I’m not meant to be political, so I don’t have a comment on that,” Conway replied."

Chris Wallace went after Sarah Sanders on Sunday. She was literally stuttering after he ripped apart her “facts” on terrorists crossing the southern border.

I believe Trump is losing Fox beyond Hannity and Ingraham.

Chris Wallace went after Sarah Sanders on Sunday. She was literally stuttering after he ripped apart her “facts” on terrorists crossing the southern border.

I believe Trump is losing Fox beyond Hannity and Ingraham.

that would be a serious blow, if it holds

Back