• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

FI Dynasty Hockey League Discussion 2018-19

Would also like to throw out again if we are looking for a manager, I have a friend that has expressed interest in this league. I will mention to him to sign up and introduce himself around here, just so he gets his name out there a little bit.

Ah great that makes sense !

20 Active Players + 5 Reserve Players = 25 Max Total Players

+1 xtra Reserve for a Goalie

Just a heads up, Thunder. You can't make any adds before we start the draft. We should have locked all the teams so that's our fault. I dropped Spetzky.

I see that Spezza has been dropped for me.
Thank you Deckie.

About not making any adds before we start the draft, when can we add free agents exactly ?
As soon as the draft starts when the 1rst pick of the 1rst round is done, or when the draft is finished and the last pick of the last round is done ?

Also I could not find this information on Fantrax League Rules Summary, on FI NHL Dynasty Rules, or on FI Dynasty Hockey League Discussion 2018-2019.
Are there other rules or league politics that you guys are aware of that I will not be able to find in those threads ?

After the draft there will be a waiver period (I can't recall if it's 1-3 days) then FAs are available.

Thing is... the draft consists of all NHL draft picks, unprotected players and any other unowned players.

I see that Spezza has been dropped for me.
Thank you Deckie.

About not making any adds before we start the draft, when can we add free agents exactly ?
As soon as the draft starts when the 1rst pick of the 1rst round is done, or when the draft is finished and the last pick of the last round is done ?

Also I could not find this information on Fantrax League Rules Summary, on FI NHL Dynasty Rules, or on FI Dynasty Hockey League Discussion 2018-2019.
Are there other rules or league politics that you guys are aware of that I will not be able to find in those threads ?

I managed to piece together informations from other threads regarding the Rookie Drafts and Protected Lists.

Every GMs send a 20 Players / 25 Minors Protected List prior to the Rookie Draft.
The players available in the Rookie Draft are this years rookie crop, the Unprotected Players, and the Free Agents.

Therefore from X Time (Trade Deadline ?, Last game of the season ?), until the end of the Rookie Draft, we are not allowed to claim Free Agents.

-------

I would recommend having those rules and league politics easily accessible in the NHL Dynasty Rules Thread

After the draft there will be a waiver period (I can't recall if it's 1-3 days) then FAs are available.

Thing is... the draft consists of all NHL draft picks, unprotected players and any other unowned players.

Thank you HP.

I had already started to piece that together while reading the other threads.

Again, is there not a place where we can see all those rules and politics, re Waiver Period and so on ?

PS : My apologies for redundant posts, I had not see HP's reply before replying again.

I don't think anyone every got around to putting together a definitive set of rules for the league. They have evolved over the past decade or so.

I guess someone should eventually do that.

Thank you HP.

I had already started to piece that together while reading the other threads.

Again, is there not a place where we can see all those rules and politics, re Waiver Period and so on ?

PS : My apologies for redundant posts, I had not see HP's reply before replying again.

I really hate to poo-poo your first trade... but you really should have consulted with someone on that deal. Unless you are really expecting a big uptick from Wilson or Gourde, you paid a lot.

For instance, Tully just got Gourde for a 2nd round pick last week.

Let's say you gave a 2nd and 4th for Gourde.

So that means you gave a 1st, Vesalainen, Lindgren, Noel for Wilson

Wilson is a solid asset... but that's a huge over payment imo.

Let's say 2nd, 4rth, Lindgren for Gourde.
Lindgren and the 4rth are the added value for Tully to convince him to flip me Gourde.

That leaves 1rst, Vesalaien and Noel for Wilson.
How much would you have given for Wilson ?

Lindgren and the 4rth are the added value for Tully to convince him to flip me Gourde.

Well... I will start by saying for some reason I confused Lindgren for Timothy Liljegren. So that makes it a lot better off the bat.

I wouldn't have given up a 1st and Vesalainen for Wilson, but it's a fair bit better than I thought.

My apologies.

Well... I will start by saying for some reason I confused Lindgren for Timothy Liljegren. So that makes it a lot better off the bat.

I wouldn't have given up a 1st and Vesalainen for Wilson, but it's a fair bit better than I thought.

My apologies.

Obviously thats not what I am aiming for, but I am ok with a slight overpayment for a fantasy relevant young player.

I’ve been proposed a lot of what I felt were lopsided trades by other GMs, so hopefully I did not shoot myself in the foot with this one.
I was anxious to put my imprint on the team and get a trade done.

Now that the ice is broken, I’ll take a chill pill and experience how the league runs before making another big decision.

Either you win, or you learn.
And it would be a damn shame if I did not learn something that I should have from that trade, so I invite anybody that feels like weighting in like HP to please do so.

Thank you HP

No worries man. I was just concerned when I saw what (I thought) was a really bad trade.

If you're deciding that you want to compete this year, then it's definitely not terrible, even if I don't love it.

Obviously thats not what I am aiming for, but I am ok with a slight overpayment for a fantasy relevant young player.

I’ve been proposed a lot of what I felt were lopsided trades by other GMs, so hopefully I did not shoot myself in the foot with this one.

Now that the ice is broken, I’ll take a chill pill and experience how the league runs before making another big decision.

And it would be a damn shame if I did not learn something that I should have from that trade, so I invite anybody that feels like weighting in like HP to please do so.

Thank you HP

Lots have people have done a lot of learning in this league lol (myself probably at the forefront).

I must admit I might have overvalued Tom Wilson for the simple fact that I thought a 0.9 player was potentially going to make 90 Fantasy Points in a season.

It would have been a bit of a gamble to see if Wilson would have been able to be a 0.9 player for 82 games in a season, and also for the next 3 seasons.
And I was okay with that.

Problem is 0.9 x 82 is not 90.

I have read and thought SO much about fantasy hockey in the last few days and my head was so full that I forgot the basic fantasy points calculation this morning and my mind translated 0,9 to 90.

Not as good as I thought, but hopefully good enough to help me compete this year.

Last edited:
I think the consensus is that a 1.0 fppg (fantasy points per game) is a "good" player. Wilson at .96 last season was really close to that. So I wouldn't worry about him a lot if you figure that he'll continue that type of production.

Gourde was a .8 last year, which is useful, but likely a bench/injury relief guy on a championship team. The year before he was a .88 which is probably a guy in your lineup every week on a championship team.

Thank you HP

I think you overpaid a little, but picks are a bit overvalued at times and outside of Vesalaien, you really didn't give up a premium asset to get a 1fpgish F and a .85ish F. You didn't do amazing, but seeing where your team is, getting a couple of pieces to improve your lineup isn't a bad thing.

Back