• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Premiere League Thread

Lots of red cards this weekend and a few goals too.

Wolves 1-1 Man City
Bournemouth 2-2 Everton both teams ended with 10 men. Richarlison sent off for Everton for a head butt, Adam Smith for the Cherries for last defender. Everton blew a 2-0 lead with Bournemouth scoring twice in 4 minutes.
Arsenal 3-1 West Ham Hammers had a brief first half lead but Arsenal leveled within 5 minutes and won it on an own goal in the 70th minute and a Welbeck sitter in stoppage time.
Huddersfield 0-0 Cardiff smells like a snoozer. Cardiff is the only club that hasn’t scored a goal yet. Red card to Jonathan Hogg for a headbutt to Harry Arter (shocking that he’d be involved, right?)
Southampton 1-2 Leicester Harry Maguire wins it in stoppage time, Saints’ Pierre-Emile Højberg picks up his 2nd yellow for simulation.
Liverpool 1-0 Brighton Salah scores in the 23rd minute and Liverpool makes it stand up.
Watford 2-1 Crystal Palace
Newcastle 1-2 Chelsea Blues get the winner on a Yedlin own goal in the 87th minute. The big news was that Rafa Benitez benched club captain Jamaal Laschelles over a training disagreement. Benitez tried to install a 3 Man back line and Lascelles wasn’t having it.
Fulham 4-2 Burnley Cottagers get a brace from new signing Mitrovic (think Newcastle misses him? Although the $35 million fee goes a long way to helping Newcastle bring in new department stores).

Still have Man U hosting Spurs tomorrow.

Man U 0-3 Spurs

Harry Kane broke his August scoring duck last week; this week he broke his Old Trafford Duck. Spurs score 2 goals within 2 minutes early in the 2nd half to break it open. The 2nd goal came on the counter as Man U forced Lloris to make a save. It came to Trippier and he sent Eriksen down the right side. He cut it back to Moura and it was game over. Man U visibly sagged after that.

Man U started in a 3-5-2 and made 6 changes from last week’s loss to Brighton. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Ander Herrera (?) started in back. Mourinho said in his post game presser that they had trained in that formation all week. He looks increasingly like dead man walking.

Man U started in a 3-5-2 and made 6 changes from last week’s loss to Brighton. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Ander Herrera (?) started in back. Mourinho said in his post game presser that they had trained in that formation all week. He looks increasingly like dead man walking.

That formation had the whiff of Jurgen Klinsmann surrounding it. Man U looked about as comfortable in the 3-5-2 as the USMNT did against Mexico last year.

That formation had the whiff of Jurgen Klinsmann surrounding it. Man U looked about as comfortable in the 3-5-2 as the USMNT did against Mexico last year.

At least Mourinho claimed to have practiced it. We know that Klinsmann didn’t. We also know that Klinsmann was a tactical doofus.

At least Mourinho claimed to have practiced it. We know that Klinsmann didn’t. We also know that Klinsmann was a tactical doofus.

Klinsmann claimed to have practiced it too. It's just that no one believed him.

Weird that he hasn't gotten a new job, right? I mean, he was in such demand. This level of sarcasm is making me dizzy.

Match week 4:

Saturday:
Leicester v. Liverpool 7:30 NBCSN
Chelsea v. Bournemouth 10:00 NBCSN
Brighton v. Fulham
Crystal Palace v. Southampton
Everton v. Huddersfield
West Ham v. Wolves
Man City v. Newcastle 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
Cardiff v. Arsenal 8:30 NBCSN
Burnley v. Man U 11:00 NBCSN
Watford v. Spurs

Spurs confirm their October 28 match against Man City will not be played at their new stadium and will be moved to Monday, October 29 at Wembley. Wembley has an NFL game there on Sunday, so the pitch should be pretty awful for soccer. Additionally, all 3 UCL Group Stage matches will be played at Wembley. Spurs are refunding 1/19th of the season ticket price and offering fans lower price tickets for the match. Spurs did get some good news over the weekend though. South Korea won the Asian Games so Son Heung-Min is exempt from mandatory military service. Had they lost, he would have had to serve 18 months.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/ne...champions-league-group-stage-fixtures-update/

Now the results

* Leicester 1-2 Liverpool. A late Alisson howler gives the Foxes hope but they can’t pull off the comeback. Leicester was without Vardy, out through suspension.
* Brighton 2-2 Fulham. Fulham blow a 2 goal lead, Glenn Murray had his first brace since Thatcher was PM.
* Chelsea 2-0 Bournemouth
* Crystal Palace 0-2 Southampton
* Everton 1-1 Huddersfield
* West Ham 0-1 Wolves. The struggles continue for the hammers, they’ve only scored 2 goals hand have a joint worst -8 goal differential with Huddersfield.
* Man City 2-1 Newcastle. Young American defender DeAndre Yedlin breaks his duck.
* Cardiff 2-3 Arsenal. Lots of heart, no talent from Cardiff, fighting back twice from 1 goal deficits. Arsenal’s defense is still a shambles and Õzil is the most invisible £300,000 man ever. Lacazette and Aubameyang started together for the first time.
* Burnley 0-2 Man U. Burnley should be happy they crashed out of Europe, their season has been a disaster so far. Marcus Rashford was sent off for a head butt that Phil Bardsley expertly baited him into.
* Watford 2-1 Spurs. The highlight you’ll see most frequently is Elton John celebrating in the stands. And break up the Hornets, they’re 4-0 and came from behind to win. Spurs only goal was a Watford own goal.

No league soccer next weekend, it’s the first international break.

Side note ... I watched most of Chelsea/Bournemouth in the lobby of Universal's Sapphire Falls resort with a room full of Chelsea supporters ... most of them English. It was a fun morning, filled with ridiculous levels of banter and loud grumbling about American attempts at a "fry-up" for breakfast.

Back to the league after the first break.

Saturday:
Spurs v. Liverpool 7:30 NBCSN
Man City v. Fulham 10:00 NBCSN
Chelsea v. Cardiff CNBC
Bournemouth v. Leicester
Huddersfield v. Crystal Palace
Newcastle v. Arsenal
Watford v. Man U 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
Wolves v. Burnley 8:30 NBCSN
Everton v. West Ham 11:00 NBCSN

Monday:
Southampton v. Brighton 3:00 NBCSN

Back to the league after the first break.

Saturday:
Spurs v. Liverpool 7:30 NBCSN
Man City v. Fulham 10:00 NBCSN
Chelsea v. Cardiff CNBC
Bournemouth v. Leicester
Huddersfield v. Crystal Palace
Newcastle v. Arsenal
Watford v. Man U 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
Wolves v. Burnley 8:30 NBCSN
Everton v. West Ham 11:00 NBCSN

Monday:
Southampton v. Brighton 3:00 NBCSN

Here's hoping we maintain power/internet sufficient to watch any of that.

I wish NBC had put Newcastle-Arsenal in their 10am game, that could wind up being a lot of fun.

I wish NBC had put Newcastle-Arsenal in their 10am game, that could wind up being a lot of fun.

Me too but with their run of results, Man City and Chelsea are better draws. Since NBC went behind the paywall last season, I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd Arsenal March they hasn’t been on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too but with their run of results, Man City and Chelsea are better draws. Since NBC went behind the paywall last season, I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd Arsenal March they hasn’t been on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which makes sense. I've seen the numbers ... Arsenal have by far the second highest amount of US support, behind Man U.

March week 6. Man U goes behind the pay wall this week.

Saturday:
Fulham v. Watford 7:30 NBCSN
Liverpool v. Southampton 10:00 NBCSN
Cardiff v. Man City CNBC
Burnley v. Bournemouth
Crystal Palace v. Newcastle
Leicester v. Huddersfield
Man U v. Wolves
Brighton v. Spurs 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
West Ham v. Chelsea 8:30 NBCSN
Arsenal v. Everton 11:00 NBCSN

March week 6. Man U goes behind the pay wall this week.

If they really want to build that subscription service, Comcast needs to do a more thoughtful job of making sure at least one of the big draws is behind that pay wall EVERY week.

If they really want to build that subscription service, Comcast needs to do a more thoughtful job of making sure at least one of the big draws is behind that pay wall EVERY week.

They’re doing a free preview next week. But you’re right, Liverpool and Chelsea need to take their turn too, after Arsenal last week.

Speaking of Man U, the misery for Mourinho continues, they were held to a home draw by Wolves. Man City recovered from their midweek debacle and took it out on poor Cardiff with Mahrez recording a 2nd half brace off the subs bench. Burnley woke up with a 4-0 beatdown of Bournemouth.

Fulham 1-1 Watford
Burnley 4-0 Bournemouth
Cardiff 0-5 Man City
Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle
Leicester 3-1 Huddersfield
Liverpool 3-0 Southampton
Man U 1-1 Wolves
Brighton 1-2 Spurs

West Ham 0-0 Chelsea
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

West Ham have only won 14 of 41 at the London Stadium. Surely not what they were expecting when they left Upton Park. Arsenal records its first clean sheet since Jens Lehman retired.

Early days yet but Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle and West Ham all look like they could set up camp in the relegation zone and get comfortable. Those sides have all been just dreadful in a variety of different ways.

Back