Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Premiere League Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2018-19 Premiere League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    An awful weekend, the scores are secondary. Besides the tragedy in Leicester, England legend Glenn Hoddle suffered a heart attack shortly after his BT Sport Show was over. He was revived by a sound engineer and transported to the hospital where he’s in serious condition.
    Yeah ... it wasn't a great weekend in the English speaking world in general. Sad that the football world had to get dragged down too.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Spurs 0-1 Man City

Crappy field, complete with the NFL logo at the midfield stripe. City go back top of the table on goal differential over Liverpool. Spurs stay 5th.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Match week 11. Don't forget that the US is still on Daylight Saving Time on Saturday and turn your clocks back on Saturday night. We get a rare Saturday afternoon game this weekend too.

Saturday:
    Bournemouth v. Man U 8:30 NBCSN
    Cardiff v. Leicester 11:00 NBCSN
    Everton v. Brighton
    Newcastle v. Watford
    West Ham v. Burnley
    Arsenal v. Liverpool 1:30 NBC
    Wolves v. Spurs 3:45 NBCSN

Sunday:
    Man City v. Southampton 10:00 NBCSN
    Chelsea v. Crystal Palace 12:00 NBCSN

Monday:
    Huddersfield v. Fulham 3:00 NBCSN

Check the listings for the Sunday matches, the Premier League app shows the Chelsea match at 11 and behind the pay wall. My cable provider shows that both matches are on as indicated above.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Bournemouth 1-2 Man U
    Cardiff 0-1 Leicester
    Everton 3-1 Brighton
    Newcastle 1-0 Watford
    West Ham 4-2 Burnley
    Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
    Wolves 2-3 Spurs
    Man City 6-1 Southampton
    Chelsea 3-1 Crystal Palace
    Huddersfield 1-0 Fulham

Man City regains first alone with their win and Liverpool’s draw. Chelsea moves up to 2nd on goal differential over Liverpool, Spurs 4th, Arsenal 5th. At the other end, Newcastle and Huddersfield picked up their first wins. Newcastle climbed out of relegation on goal difference over Huddersfield. Even though Newcastle has 7 losses and their lone win was by 1 goal, their goal differential is only -7. Cardiff and Fulham join Huddersfield in the drop zone.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Match week 12. Should be a pretty moving ceremony at Leicester. NBCs lead broadcaster, Arlo White, who is a son of Leicester, will be calling the match. The weekend ends with the Manchester Derby. Man U has been pretty meh in the league but maybe their win at Juventus on Wednesday will rouse them.

Saturday:
    Cardiff v. Brighton 7:30 NBCSN
    Leicester v. Burnley 10:00 NBCSN
    Huddersfield v. West Ham
    Newcastle v. Bournemouth
    Southampton v. Watford
    Crystal Palace v. Spurs 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
    Liverpool v. Fulham 7:00 NBCSN
    Chelsea v. Everton 9:15 NBCSN
    Man City v. Man U 11:30 NBCSN
    Arsenal v. Wolves

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It was too bad that the Leicester match wound up scoreless, it was screaming for a goal, but LC couldn't push it across.

Dreadful weather in London. Shocking, I know.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It was too bad that the Leicester match wound up scoreless, it was screaming for a goal, but LC couldn't push it across.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HNIM View Post

Looked pretty bad in Southampton too. How are you watching the NBC games on Saturday? WRAL has ACC football and the NBC Sports app blocks me, unless it’s a u-verse thing.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Cardiff 2-1 Brighton. Cardiff win it in the 90th minute, Brighton played nearly 60 minutes with 10 men
    Huddersfield 1-1 West Ham
    Leicester 0-0 Burnley
    Newcastle 2-1 Bournemouth. Break up the Magpies! That’s 2 wins in a row.
    Southampton 1-1 Watford
    Crystal Palace 0-1 Spurs
    Liverpool 2-0 Fulham
    Chelsea 0-0 Everton
    Arsenal 1-1 Wolves. Gunners salvage a tie in the 86th minute to extend their unbeaten streak to 16 across all comps. But 4 of the last 5 have been draws.
    Man City 3-1 Man U

Man City remain top, 2 points ahead of Liverpool. Chelsea are another 2 points back, Spurs 1 behind them. Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham are in the drop zone.

Last international break of the year next weekend. Then the mad dash through the “Festive Fixtures” with clubs playing 9 matches between 11/24 and 1/3. The clubs playing in Europe have 2 more and Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Leicester, Southampton, Chelsea and Bournemouth have League Cup matches during that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Last international break of the year next weekend. Then the mad dash through the “Festive Fixtures” with clubs playing 9 matches between 11/24 and 1/3. The clubs playing in Europe have 2 more and Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Leicester, Southampton, Chelsea and Bournemouth have League Cup matches during that time.
    I used to feel sorry for Premiereship clubs at Christmastime, but now that I primarily follow a club that looks likely to live in the Championship for the foreseeable future, I know that some clubs have it worse. Considering their regular schedule and then adding in all the extra Holly Jolly games and you get winded just looking at the fixture list. It's brutal and stupid.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    I used to feel sorry for Premiereship clubs at Christmastime, but now that I primarily follow a club that looks likely to live in the Championship for the foreseeable future, I know that some clubs have it worse. Considering their regular schedule and then adding in all the extra Holly Jolly games and you get winded just looking at the fixture list. It's brutal and stupid.
    They don't have European matches but they play both cups and an extra 8 matches in the regular season. It really is lunacy.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked pretty bad in Southampton too. How are you watching the NBC games on Saturday? WRAL has ACC football and the NBC Sports app blocks me, unless it’s a u-verse thing.
    I think we wound up getting it on NBC Gold on the tv at TraLi but guys in the bar were getting it on the NBC Sports app on their phones. It was a bit odd.

Post Thanks / Like

They don't have European matches but they play both cups and an extra 8 matches in the regular season. It really is lunacy.
    And no International breaks .... which means the better teams that actually have the odd International player on their roster have to soldier on without them. And no time off on break weeks, which is as big a negative. There's a reason that there's so much movement in the Championship table in the spring. It's because everybody is beat to within an inch of their lives and dog tired. Team health has as much to do with those 4 that make the promotion playoffs every year as anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    The Championship is so close this year, even by it's normal standards. We're only nine points back of first and three points off of the playoff spots and Terry's back to impart his vast wisdom on the boys. Great stuff like how to be a racist nob or how to sleep with your teammate's wife. Actually, let's just focus on the positives of how close we are to the top spot.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Fulham fired manager Slavisa Jokanovic and replaced him with Claudio Ranieri.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VinatieriDefinesClutch View Post
    The Championship is so close this year, even by it's normal standards. We're only nine points back of first and three points off of the playoff spots and Terry's back to impart his vast wisdom on the boys. Great stuff like how to be a racist nob or how to sleep with your teammate's wife. Actually, let's just focus on the positives of how close we are to the top spot.
    To be fair, the very first thing that happened when they changed staffs was that the defensive back four tightened up considerably. They've moved some guys in and out since then, so for me it's less about personnel and more about playing together as a unit. I don't know who gets the credit, and I'm no fan of Terry as a human being ... but it appears from a distance that he's doing a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Fulham fired manager Slavisa Jokanovic and replaced him with Claudio Ranieri.

Return of the Tinkerman. They could have done worse, but I'm afraid that their roster moves in the offseason just weren't suited to sticking around in the Prem. It doesn't help that a lot of their key guys ... Sessegnon, Cairney, Ream, and probably Mitrovic included ... are really good Championship level players who don't translate all that well at a higher level. Their loan-in guys haven't done much to help either.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The Prem will have VAR next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46224473

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The Prem will have VAR next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46224473

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good. Spurs would have been killed by Wolves had VAR been in place, so glad they waited...

Post Thanks / Like

General big picture catch-up before we hit the meat of the Holiday schedule.

Top of the Table
    Man City and Liverpool have been the stories all season. Nothing really looks like changing on that front so far as I can see ... mostly because nobody else is in their class defensively. They're both giving up less than half a goal a game. Yikes.

Chasing Pack
    Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are the only clubs within 10 points of the leaders and somehow that gap seems even wider to me. All three of those seem more problem riddled than they actually are, but that's partly a factor of how good the top two have been. The bar is set high.

Suddenly Robust Middle
    Remember a couple of years ago when the middle of the table was pretty much just Everton and maybe one other team? Yeah ... not now. 6th through 13th is separated by only 5 points. So a two weekend "hot streak" at the right time could see you jump 4 or 5 spots and into a European placement. And it's a diverse group too ... from down on their luck big hitters like United, to the usual suspects like Everton and Bournemouth, to the nouveau riche like Brighton and Leicester, to recently promoted Wolves.

High Anxiety Zone
    From 14th to the bottom of the barrel is a four point swing. Yup. One bad week and you're staring the relegation zone square in the eye. And this bunch have been full fat dreadful. Huddersfield, Burnley, Fulham and Southampton have managed 7 freaking wins between the lot of them. Ugh. Cardiff, Palace and Newcastle have hardly been any better. This bunch is bad. There generally will be a club (or two) that makes run out of this group to safety, and I guess the best candidates are Southampton and Newcastle, but ... ugh.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast