• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

I've figured this was likely as hell for a while now.

I would argue that the Koskinen deal has already fallen flat. The amazing bit is that Petey had the rest of the year to see how Koskinen handled the role before lighting a bag of money on fire and strangely decided to not use it. What's the rush here? If Koskinen finishes the season at .920, what's he worth in free agency? Another 500K tops?

Its like he saw that Talbot's 4.5 was coming off the books so he had 4.5 to replace him and liked Koskinen and put no other thought into it other than that.

The dude should ahve tried to trim salary and make a run at Bob for 6.5-7 instead.

What do we give up to make it happen

Connor Brown and stuff. Maybe Zaitsev if they beg. They've ruined the boys value, nobody should care where he was drafted. Will take a good while on the Marlies for him to wash the Oiler stink off of him.

Its like he saw that Talbot's 4.5 was coming off the books so he had 4.5 to replace him and liked Koskinen and put no other thought into it other than that.

The dude should ahve tried to trim salary and make a run at Bob for 6.5-7 instead.

Or better yet, go cheaper 1A/1B model with a collection of Howard, Talbot, Elliott, Neuvirth, Johnson, Varly. Probably could have gotten 2 of them for damn close to the cost of Koskinen, but unlike Koskinen, they should be able to give you a good shot at league average goaltending or better if used properly (proper platoon, play the hot hand, lots of rest for both) for all 82 games. I doubt you would have been locked in for 3 years on any of them.

Chia really is a terrible hockey executive, it hurts my brain that people throw 7 figures at this guy to manage their teams, it's truly amazing.

Babcock will hate him though

Not once he's run through a year or two in our development program he won't. Big kid, good speed, good shot. We probably turn him into a player.

Babcock will just be thrilled that he's 6'4 all day. When he wakes up and brushes his teeth: 6'4. Drives to the rink 6'4. Balls deep in some Edmonton waitress, also 6'4. 6'4 all day.

Not once he's run through a year or two in our development program he won't. Big kid, good speed, good shot. We probably turn him into a player.

Babcock will just be thrilled that he's 6'4 all day. When he wakes up and brushes his teeth: 6'4. Drives to the rink 6'4. Balls deep in some Edmonton waitress, also 6'4. 6'4 all day.

Oh in 2 years? Babs is gone by then anyways.

I doubt that highly, and I'm no fan of his. 8 million is a lot to pay a guy to sit at home. It would take an epic collapse that I think we've got too much talent for, and I have a pile of faith in Dubas replacing the dregs of the roster with better players over the next 12-18 months.

I doubt that highly, and I'm no fan of his. 8 million is a lot to pay a guy to sit at home. It would take an epic collapse that I think we've got too much talent for, and I have a pile of faith in Dubas replacing the dregs of the roster with better players over the next 12-18 months.

another loss to Boston and a pissed off Matthews could go a long way....i mean, Dubas probably is dying for a reason to get a guy in there that is fully on board with what he believes.

another loss to Boston and a pissed off Matthews could go a long way....i mean, Dubas probably is dying for a reason to get a guy in there that is fully on board with what he believes.

4 years left on the 8 million dollar a year Babcock deal. As much as Dubas is the GM, that's a move that I think would need to have Shanny on board and I have serious doubts that Shanny would be there yet, or that Dubas is looking to start the clock on his own hot seat. Firing Babcock and then having his next coach not work would lead to Dubas out the door within 12 months, guaranteed.

The best Dubas move is just to slowly take Babcock's toys away and put him in a position where he has to play Dubas styled players. Marleau, Brown, Hyman, Zaitsev, Hainsey specifically. Replace them with players who can handle and move the puck (internally or externally) and you almost don't have to worry about Babcock's preferred deployment.

4 years left on the 8 million dollar a year Babcock deal. As much as Dubas is the GM, that's a move that I think would need to have Shanny on board and I have serious doubts that Shanny would be there yet, or that Dubas is looking to start the clock on his own hot seat. Firing Babcock and then having his next coach not work would lead to Dubas out the door within 12 months, guaranteed.

The best Dubas move is just to slowly take Babcock's toys away and put him in a position where he has to play Dubas styled players. Marleau, Brown, Hyman, Zaitsev, Hainsey specifically. Replace them with players who can handle and move the puck (internally or externally) and you almost don't have to worry about Babcock's preferred deployment.

That's totally fair, but Matthews could drive it as he's the one needing an extension, but for the most part you make sound intelligent sexy arguments.

Casey DeSmith: 27 years old, 42 GP, .918 SV%
Mikko Koskinen: 30 years old, 31 GP, .905 SV%

DeSmith signed for 3 years, $1.25 mil AAV, Koskinen signed for 3 years, $4.5 mil AAV. Absolute insanity

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

In all seriousness does anyone else get concerned that the coach of the leafs is certifiably ****ing insane? You barely even exaggerated there, yet no one even flinches at the absurdity of this guy.

Chia, Jesus Christ how much stupider can he get?

Seriously let’s throw some scraps at them and try to rehab Puljujarvi into a player.

We should really impress upon Chiarelli the fact that Connor Brown once outscored Connor McDavid when they were teammates in the OHL.

That'd probably be enough to convince the dummy to give up Puljujarvi++

McDavid looked concerned and aggravated for the 1st time. They've got to give him a better supporting cast than they have.

Back