• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

This series will go down to Rask vs Binnington.

Binnington is doing his best Patrick Roy circa 86 impersonation, it’s hard to not root for the kid.

Will anyone even give Karlsson a long-term deal given his previous injuries? He may be forced to take a reasonable 1-2 year deal vs. the monster contract he is expecting.

This series will go down to Rask vs Binnington.

Binnington is doing his best Patrick Roy circa 86 impersonation, it’s hard to not root for the kid.

well he is 25 years old

and he was better in the regular season than in the playoffs

but i guess they were both rookies....

Will anyone even give Karlsson a long-term deal given his previous injuries? He may be forced to take a reasonable 1-2 year deal vs. the monster contract he is expecting.

it might make him have a few less suitors but im guessing the total value of his contract does not get impacted

somebody is going to give him big dollars

well he is 25 years old

and he was better in the regular season than in the playoffs

but i guess they were both rookies....

Yeah, I meant rookie. I get Roy’s was more impressive at his age but the Blues were dead last until Binnington stepped up. Gotta give him his props.

Teams that make some semblance of sense for Karlsson, or at least for them to chase Karlsson:

- Flyer (bundle of cap space, major US hockey market)
- Florida (also have a bundle of cap, warm weather state, taxes)
- Dallas (Pretty good cap position, taxes, warm weather state)
- Rangers (20 million in cap, feels like they make these splashy moves as often as possible)
- Boston (have enough cap to get it done, and might feel like they need to maximize the next 2-3 years as much as possible given the age of most of their core)
- Hawks (20+ million in cap, are more likely to retool quick than rebuild and likely want back in the dance before their 21 million dollars invested in Toews and Kane gets ugly)
- Buffalo (want to be legit so bad, Karlsson would be a fantastic mentor and partner for the kid, have the money and cap)

As for Tampa, they're at 74.4 million for next season without Point signed. Even when Point pisses off the rest of the hockey world by taking his 8.5 million dollar deal, Tampa is going to have to tap dance just to move enough salary to ice a complete roster. Signing Karlsson means punting on two reasonably priced and important players like Killorn, Palat, Johnson, Gourde and then doing it again the following season when Vasilevsky, Sergachev, Cirelli, & Cernak need RFA deals

Callahan is the easy punt to get Point and the other kids signed. After that it gets damn hard to slot Karlsson in.

Likely Vegas.

I don't think Vegas has the cap space anymore. They're over 83 million committed right now (that includes Clarkson's 5.25 though, which will get LTIR'd in October) but that's about it. They've added ~50 million in long term cap liabilities over the last 8 months now (Stone, Max, Fleury, Schmidt, Shea, Miller, Stastny). This is their team and they've gotta run with it for now I think.

He might end up going to be non top contender just for cap reasons. He will never get back that 88 million deal he had on the table from Ottawa.

Back