• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Nah. Dubs bungled the big 3.

He should’ve given them each their fmv the year prior. We’d have Nylander at $6m, Mitch at $8m, and Marty at $10m.

Eh? It was Lou and the Nylander camp that agreed to wait the additional year. As for Mitch and Matthews, there was no real incentive for them to not wait. There's no real incentive for any of these kids to not wait. If they have a bad year, with the cap going up like it is, it's not really going to cost them any money. If they have a big year, you're like Marner, going from 7.5-8.0 per, to 9-9.5 per.

I have no idea why Marnerw ould have wanted to sign. He still had not had a full season as a top 6 forward and had Tavares coming.

Clowe, zaitaev, Marleau came to my mind within three seconds. There are countless others as well.

Honestly, Zaitsev was a great signing that went sideways on him. Young and tough RHD who can skate and put up good numbers in his first year in the league. He didn’t get better, but it was a good move. If he turned into a 50 point guy, that signing was a steal. And by all accounts he’s been great for Russia in the tournament. I’m curious to see how he fares without the astute tutelage of DJ Jazzy Smith.

As for Marleau, we all knew the third year would be a problem and we were all on board. And who knows, maybe last year was just a down year for him and he finishes strong. Or maybe they can move him so it’s irrelevant.

But suddenly signing Komarov like that, taking Martin, etc., lots of dumb moves that suddenly came about.

Eh? It was Lou and the Nylander camp that agreed to wait the additional year. As for Mitch and Matthews, there was no real incentive for them to not wait. There's no real incentive for any of these kids to not wait. If they have a bad year, with the cap going up like it is, it's not really going to cost them any money. If they have a big year, you're like Marner, going from 7.5-8.0 per, to 9-9.5 per.

But was the Nylander decision due to Lou/Dubs not wanting to pay and Willy feeling forced to wait him out? Because on his own, Dubs followed the same strategy with Mitch and Marty.

I think if they threw Eichel money at Matthews, he’d have taken it at the same time. Marner would’ve signed for under $10m.

The player carries the risk of falling short of expectations and having a down year impact a long term deal. They’re incentivized to sign early too, if the dollars are market rate at the time.

Honestly, Zaitsev was a great signing that went sideways on him. Young and tough RHD who can skate and put up good numbers in his first year in the league. He didn’t get better, but it was a good move. If he turned into a 50 point guy, that signing was a steal. And by all accounts he’s been great for Russia in the tournament. I’m curious to see how he fares without the astute tutelage of DJ Jazzy Smith.

His points were all secondary assists getting PP minutes he didn't deserve. The warning bells were there. He's shit and we should have punted. Terrible contract.

His points were all secondary assists getting PP minutes he didn't deserve. The warning bells were there. He's shit and we should have punted. Terrible contract.

I don't know if I would say he's "shit" per say, I do think that concussion he suffered two years ago had a bad impact on him. While his contract was too long for a guy of his calibre, I think he's a decent bottom pairing guy, and I will give the guy credit, he was one our best defensemen in the playoffs, he and Muzzin helped neuter the Beregon line e/s.

Seriously.

Considering DJ Smith has been in charge of our defense and penalty kill, I wanted him to be fired.

Him becoming Ottawa's head coach is even better. I guess he was probably the only candidate willing to work for cheap.

Mark Masters

@markhmasters
Mike Babcock on Roman Polak's value:

"Well, it was the other night on the bench when he ran over one of their best players, (assistant coach) D.J. Smith said to me, 'What's the Corsi rating for that?'"

Still find it odd that Dubas would employ coaches poking fun at analytics on the bench but yeah... bye DJ.

Mark Masters

@markhmasters
Mike Babcock on Roman Polak's value:

"Well, it was the other night on the bench when he ran over one of their best players, (assistant coach) D.J. Smith said to me, 'What's the Corsi rating for that?'"

Still find it odd that Dubas would employ coaches poking fun at analytics on the bench but yeah... bye DJ.

Slowly but surely, Dubas is weeding out everyone in the organization who isn't with the program. It's tough to take the big job and make sweeping changes right out of the box. Dubas has played this right.

BTW, this wait for the start of the finals is ridiculously long. The NHL is being forgotten about. They're morons.
I am not sure who this helps more. Long layoffs do affect the outcome often.

Ratings will be so horrible for this final in Canada.
Personally, I probably won't watch a single game. I mean, I basically stopped watching the NHL playoffs after the first round.

On the East side, I just had no interest in seeing any more of the Bruins, or in spending time watching a shit-biscuit matchup like Hurricanes/Islanders. On the Western side of the bracket, I wasn't interested enough to stay up late on work nights during the week or to dedicate a weekend night to watching those games.

And just with the overall strength of the teams left besides the Bruins, it would've just pissed me off to watch, since it would have been a constant reminder of the amazing opportunity the Leafs pissed away this year. And if you think about it there have been a total of 56 NHL playoff rounds during the NHL's salary cap era, and the Leafs have been a part of exactly four of them. So I've just had more than my fill over the last decade-and-a-half of NHL playoff action where I have zero emotional investment or rooting interest.

So, thank **** for the Raptors. I've been watching all their games since the start of the second round, and they've been a godsend. If it weren't for them, and all Toronto sports fans had going for them was the Blue Jays and a methodical Boston Bruins march to another Cup championship, that would have been pretty grim.

The finals should have started already. This wait is really stupid and has backfired due to the Raps. Neither team will have any momentum.

I enjoyed seeing the Islanders get swept. other than that, haven't watched a lot. It just looked inevitable in the Carolina/B's games I did catch.

Cheering for the Blues in the final obv

The finals should have started already. This wait is really stupid and has backfired due to the Raps. Neither team will have any momentum.

I don't know anyone that cares in Toronto, regardless of the Raptors.

Let's be honest here (and yes, I know there are outliers that watch TV regardless of the team) -- the NHL is pretty ****ing boring after you're favorite gets bounced.

At the end of the day, I love hockey as a sport. But to me, peak North American sports is basketball playoffs in a close, competitive series. Hockey is consistently great (although the first round or two are usually the peak and it tends to get worse as the playoffs go on), but basketball at its best (although it's rare for it to be at its best) is tops for me. If a series goes 6 or 7 it's usually top tier entertainment and drama even as a neutral observer.

The NBA season and first round of playoffs is generally putrid. But once it starts getting to some real series, **** it's awesome.

Let's be honest here (and yes, I know there are outliers that watch TV regardless of the team) -- the NHL is pretty ****ing boring after you're favorite gets bounced.

The long scheduling wait for the finals is brutal. I find it especially at this time of the year, where you pass a weekend and the weather gets nice and you start thinking about summer, to go back to paying attention to hockey teams you don't care about? They really do need to trim 2 weeks off the schedule and make sure the finals finish before June. Start NHL training camps Sept 1, start the season Sept 20 or so, and then do whatever you can to get the finals done before June 1.

The long scheduling wait for the finals is brutal. I find it especially at this time of the year, where you pass a weekend and the weather gets nice and you start thinking about summer, to go back to paying attention to hockey teams you don't care about? They really do need to trim 2 weeks off the schedule and make sure the finals finish before June. Start NHL training camps Sept 1, start the season Sept 20 or so, and then do whatever you can to get the finals done before June 1.

was there a reason for the long wait?

seems pretty weird they did not have a weekend start

I dunno, last year was great, watching Vegas going on a run and greybeard ovechkin beast his way to a cup.

Pittsburgh and Chicago provide quality entertainment as the build dynasties.

But I really could not care any less about boston or st Louis.

Back