• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

like the taveres UFA contract?

It’s a bit different for UFA as there is no matching ability. (I have no problem with what Montreal did - it’s actually good for the league imo). Also, the Isles are not a small market team.

i assume you are the leafs version of wehave

because that makes little sense

What don't you understand?

There was a 0% chance a pussy ass offer like that was going to get Carolina to let go of their best player. Literally nothing but negatives come out of this for the Habs.

Don’t let it get to the point where they can get an offer sheet in the first place. Problem solved

It takes two to tango.

Yeah, for everyone who replies and says "man I hope someone offer sheets Marner for 8.5 lol", they may offer that but he has to accept it for it to be official.

But otherwise, I have a feeling in the next CBA they'll adjust the rules around signing bonuses. To me right now they're the biggest loophole in how to structure deals. Feels to me that there should either be a hard max on signing bonuses (ie. no more than 20% in bonus money) or they need to structure it so that the signing bonus is paid throughout the season, essentially the same as regular salary.

But how to "fix" offer sheets is really tough. The problem is if you raise the compensation, then teams don't want to pay that. You probably need to lower compensation so that there's less penalty to giving the offer, at which point it's more about figuring out how high to offer a player. But you can't really go too far to getting rid of compensation or else there's not much difference between RFA and UFA.

Yeah, for everyone who replies and says "man I hope someone offer sheets Marner for 8.5 lol", they may offer that but he has to accept it for it to be official.

But otherwise, I have a feeling in the next CBA they'll adjust the rules around signing bonuses. To me right now they're the biggest loophole in how to structure deals. Feels to me that there should either be a hard max on signing bonuses (ie. no more than 20% in bonus money) or they need to structure it so that the signing bonus is paid throughout the season, essentially the same as regular salary.

But how to "fix" offer sheets is really tough. The problem is if you raise the compensation, then teams don't want to pay that. You probably need to lower compensation so that there's less penalty to giving the offer, at which point it's more about figuring out how high to offer a player. But you can't really go too far to getting rid of compensation or else there's not much difference between RFA and UFA.
Would kind of piss me off if they decide they need to "fix" signing bonuses specifically because it's an advantage for some of the richer teams.

If they do that, they should also be looking to level other aspects of the playing field. Like the advantage some teams having playing in low/no income-tax states.

Didn't Bergevin actually do waddell a favour? The only thing that sucked for Waddell is the term. He even said in the presser," I'm surprised it wasn't more" I asked a question in the season thread of collusion.

Could a GM do another one a solid by offering something that they want to pay their own player so that they can match... ie, ask Waddell or Bergevin to offer Mitch a contract of 7x 9.25 then have mitch accept it (or if he doesn't then it shows his greed a bit more) and then match and have a favour to pay back next season at the draft.

It’s a bit different for UFA as there is no matching ability. (I have no problem with what Montreal did - it’s actually good for the league imo). Also, the Isles are not a small market team.

it is but they structured it to be lockout proof and whatnot

same idea

a smart idea

Didn't Bergevin actually do waddell a favour? The only thing that sucked for Waddell is the term. He even said in the presser," I'm surprised it wasn't more" I asked a question in the season thread of collusion.

Could a GM do another one a solid by offering something that they want to pay their own player so that they can match... ie, ask Waddell or Bergevin to offer Mitch a contract of 7x 9.25 then have mitch accept it (or if he doesn't then it shows his greed a bit more) and then match and have a favour to pay back next season at the draft.

If he was trying to help out Carolina, they wouldn't have structured the deal the way they did with all the signing bonus money. He just thought it would have a chance of going through, which is of course ridiculous.

I don’t think it was a favour, I think Bergevin actually thinks there’s a chance they wouldn’t match it, which was a bit dumb.

I think he did us and Tampa a favour though unintentionally.

They should get to that, right after they get to the after tax disparity between places like Ontario & Quebec vs Texas, Nevada, and Florida.

Welfare teams can afford to pay these signing bonuses, it's just inconvenient for them. It's also ****ing inconvenient to compete against a team in our division that has a functional salary cap 5-8 million dollars higher than ours.

Nobody did anyone any favours -- other than Aho wins by getting half his cash immediately

Wha? how does that work?

The last year of a 5 yr deal would be a UFA year. It's Aho's 8th year in the league.

So, he gave up 1 UFA year?

Dude will hit FA at 26 -- that's pretty fuking sweet for him.

Back