• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Francis is in the process of divesting his ownership stake in the Canes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told that Francis and Dundon have an agreement in principle on that, but have clashed over the timing. Ronnie wants the cash now, Dundon prefers to structure the payments over time.

And honestly, no shock on Hextal move. His roster ain't all that and he was willing to defend his new coach when it honestly doesn't make much sense from any kind of distance. That team is run by committee anyway, so the GM is really just the guy making the final call. Anybody in that role who gets too emotionally dug in is kidding themselves.

I've been told that Francis and Dundon have an agreement in principle on that, but have clashed over the timing. Ronnie wants the cash now, Dundon prefers to structure the payments over time.

And honestly, no shock on Hextal move. His roster ain't all that and he was willing to defend his new coach when it honestly doesn't make much sense from any kind of distance. That team is run by committee anyway, so the GM is really just the guy making the final call. Anybody in that role who gets too emotionally dug in is kidding themselves.

If Philly wants to hire Francis, why not let Dundon and company play hardball and ask for a pick or a prospect as compensation...it's been done before...

If Philly wants to hire Francis, why not let Dundon and company play hardball and ask for a pick or a prospect as compensation...it's been done before...

That seems highly unethical. Ron is no longer employed by the team. This is about working out the sale of his equity stake in the team.

They won't want Ron Francis that badly. Official Draft pick compensation rules are also no more for NHL execs and coaches. There used to actually be a formal system surrounding draft pick compensation for coaches or execs still under contract even those who were 'fired'. That was eliminated a few years ago.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-end-coach-and-executive-compensation-policy/c-791590

No draft picks coming back.

That seems highly unethical. Ron is no longer employed by the team. This is about working out the sale of his equity stake in the team.

This.

Plus, when it comes to dead money that doesn't improve his team, Dundon only plays hardball. At least thus far. He's been tighter than Scrooge McDuck when it comes to spending his own money on anything other than players. Which is fine, as it's his money.

And Ronnie, who dug in his heels at losing even a little of his autonomy as GM here in Raleigh, isn't going to want any part of the GM by executive committee stuff they do up in Philly.

Karl Alzner cleared waivers and was assigned by Montreal to Laval of the AHL. Alzner is in year 2 of his 5 year $23.125 million contract. He is getting paid $6 million this season (his anticipate buyout this summer will be $6.4 million over 6 years, his salary drops in years 3-5). With an offseason buyout, the Habs will have paid Alzner $18.4 million for 1 full and 1 partial NHL season.

Ouch

Alzner was slow in his prime. That was awhile ago and he's now officially a pylon. Waiving him and sending him down was an act of mercy. Paying him that much money to be a pylon is, of course, an act of charity. Suddenly the Canadiens are running a VERY small but very expensive charitable relief organization.

Maybe he and Semin can hang out together.
Karl Alzner cleared waivers and was assigned by Montreal to Laval of the AHL. Alzner is in year 2 of his 5 year $23.125 million contract. He is getting paid $6 million this season (his anticipate buyout this summer will be $6.4 million over 6 years, his salary drops in years 3-5). With an offseason buyout, the Habs will have paid Alzner $18.4 million for 1 full and 1 partial NHL season.

Ouch

Everything I've been hearing from pundits who claim to know is that Nylander and the Leafs are very close and something will get signed soon. I haven't heard any indication that he will be traded.

Everything I've been hearing from pundits who claim to know is that Nylander and the Leafs are very close and something will get signed soon. I haven't heard any indication that he will be traded.

Hockey Twitter is convinced a deal is imminent. Not that Hockey Twitter is infallible, as it's as generally reliable as regular Twitter.

Interesting article in The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/678913/2018...tract-for-william-nylander/?source=dailyemail

Suggests the sweet spot for signing Nylander will be around $7 million, give or take $300K.

I mean, that was always going to be the number, give or take, and I still don't understand why it had to come down to the player sitting out this long ... other than good old fashioned stubbornness on both sides.

FWIW, there's a growing camp that suggests that even if the Leafs get Nylander signed, they're still going to ship him out of town as soon as they get the right offer. Plays into the stubbornness angle, I guess.

I've seen idle speculation on fan boards, but no hard news coverage on the no-trade angle.

But surely that had to have been explored from the player side since there are such good odds that a trade might occur, if not soon, then when cap relief is needed down the road.

However, such a probe must surely have been rejected by the org since that's part of the value for which they would be paying. Asset value damaged when trading partners are severely limited (see Skinner).

You want your money, you can't be concerned about who is paying you. So only way some limited trade clause gets into play is if the salary discount was team-friendly...and that doesn't appear to be happening.

Back