• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Bad news in Ottawa. Matt Duchesne is out “weeks” with a groin injury. Bobby Ryan is on IR with a concussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leafs Zach Hyman has a hearing today for his hit on Charlie McAvoy last night. McAvoy didn’t return to the game, it was his 2nd game back after missing 19 with a concussion. Hyman was assessed a major and game misconduct.

Why was this hit any worse than Ryan Reaves’ hit on Wilson? Reaves didn’t have a hearing.

https://youtu.be/HNeGLAKCRQk

Leafs Zach Hyman has a hearing today for his hit on Charlie McAvoy last night. McAvoy didn’t return to the game, it was his 2nd game back after missing 19 with a concussion. Hyman was assessed a major and game misconduct.

Why was this hit any worse than Ryan Reaves’ hit on Wilson? Reaves didn’t have a hearing.

https://youtu.be/HNeGLAKCRQk

You mean other than the fact that it was Tom Wilson vs. Charlie McAvoy on the receiving end? Only thing I can see is that the Reeves hit is straight up interference, but the McAvoy hit is really more boarding than interference, which heightens the potential for a serious injury. Or chalk it up to NHL arbitrariness.

Last edited:
Yotes goalie Antii Raanta is out for the season after undergoing surgery. Backup Darcy Kuemper hasn’t played since Thanksgiving. Turkey was been using Adin Hill, a rookie who is 3-2 with a 1.82/.936 stat line. But LeBrun talked to the GM and he says they’re sticking with internal options.

https://www.nhl.com/news/arizona-coyotes-goalie-antti-raanta-out-indefinitely/c-302773730

Sucks for Raanta. He had finally come into his own in Phoenix after a long apprenticeship in New York and Chicago.

Owen Tippett from the Mississauga Steelheads in the OHL has been suspended for 1 game for flipping a foam puck into the stands at the end of the 2nd period. He also received a game misconduct, which he didn’t know about until he came out for the 3rd period. Had he tossed it by hand, he’d have been Ok but using his stick is a penalty.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2018/12...d-one-game-for-flipping-foam-puck-into-crowd/

Owen Tippett from the Mississauga Steelheads in the OHL has been suspended for 1 game for flipping a foam puck into the stands at the end of the 2nd period. He also received a game misconduct, which he didn’t know about until he came out for the 3rd period. Had he tossed it by hand, he’d have been Ok but using his stick is a penalty.

Wow. I supposed on one side they used some judgement by only suspending him one game but on the other, the refs really are looking for situations like that to call a penalty at the end of a period? If the refs simply ignored that or pretended not to see it (like is done all the time for REAL penalties), then no one would have cared. I'm sure there is a zero tolerance policy for using your stick to flip things up into the stands intentionally and I guess I can understand the danger with pucks or other harder items. But come on ref, you could have pretended not to see that given the situation.

I always think it's pretty classless and unprofessional to let it leak that you're firing/hiring someone before the announcement is formally made. I think that's garbage. What do you get with leaking that type of information??

I always think it's pretty classless and unprofessional to let it leak that you're firing/hiring someone before the announcement is formally made. I think that's garbage. What do you get with leaking that type of information??

Generally, that kind of stuff gets leaked by someone in the organization who doesn't support the decision. From what I gather, Hextal got fired because he refused to fire Hakstol, and I'm sure he still has plenty of supporters in that front office. One of them probably had a quiet word with the press once the decision was made in house.

Hakstol did get whacked today but was replaced by Scott Gordon, who was head coach of their AHL team, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

Philly has the finesse of a sledgehammer. Let the news leak out about Hakstol with Q reportedly taking the reigns. Then let Hakstol run team's practice until you find someone to take over-- oh, look! An internal hire. Jackasses!

Back