• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
OK, we’re past Labor Day and time to put the 17-18 thread to bed.

Darren Dreger tweeted that Blake Wheeler agreed to a 5 year extension with a AAV of $8.25 million. He was entering the last year of a 5 year/$33.6 million contract signed in 2013. He only had 23 goals last year but tied for the league high with 68 assists and was 9th with 91 points.

OK, we’re past Labor Day and time to put the 17-18 thread to bed.

Darren Dreger tweeted that Blake Wheeler agreed to a 5 year extension with a AAV of $8.25 million. He was entering the last year of a 5 year/$33.6 million contract signed in 2013. He only had 23 goals last year but tied for the league high with 68 assists and was 9th with 91 points.

Panarin and Seguin contracts need to get sorted out soon...the Pacioretty and Karlsson question marks also need to get solved. I noticed Bob McKenzie is back in the saddle after summer break and the NHL on Sirius crews are starting to slowly filter back to regular programming...hockey is on the horizon.

Wheeler contract breaks down as $10M, $6.5M, $10M, $6.5M $8.25M. He has a $4M signing bonus in the first year.

Wheeler is worth that money given the market. He probably left a bit on the table to be honest but considering he is 32 and you have to think is on the downside of his career, that is about right for dollars and term. He is coming off a career season.

Habs trade Max Pacioretty to Vegas for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a 2019 2nd rounder. Pacioretty has 1 year left on a contract that carries a $4.5 million cap hit. Tatar has 3 years left on a contract that has a $5.3 million cap hit. His actual salary is $5.5 million this year and next and $3.2 million in 20-21 with a $1 million signing bonus. Suzuki signed an entry level contract last summer but hasn’t played in the NHL yet. He had 42 goals and 100 points for Owen Sound, which were tied for 3rd and 4th, respectively in the OHL.

https://www.nhl.com/news/canadiens-trade-max-pacioretty-to-vegas-golden-knights/c-300023512

Habs trade Max Pacioretty to Vegas for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a 2019 2nd rounder. Pacioretty has 1 year left on a contract that carries a $4.5 million cap hit. Tatar has 3 years left on a contract that has a $5.3 million cap hit. His actual salary is $5.5 million this year and next and $3.2 million in 20-21 with a $1 million signing bonus. Suzuki signed an entry level contract last summer but hasn’t played in the NHL yet. He had 42 goals and 100 points for Owen Sound, which were tied for 3rd and 4th, respectively in the OHL.

https://www.nhl.com/news/canadiens-trade-max-pacioretty-to-vegas-golden-knights/c-300023512

Without beating a dead horse, this trade makes the Skinner deal look even more awful than most of us earlier commented on. Great return for the Habs, a very useful offensive player in Tatar who Vegas surrendered a first, second and third round pick for last season at the deadline and a very high end center prospect in Suzuki along with a second...Bergy actually made a pretty good trade for Patches.

Last edited:
Good for Max Pacioretty getting out of that crazy Montreal environment. Bergeron got good return, but Pacioretty has to be grateful going west to a tight team without all that foolishness and good it got settles ahead of training camp.

As far as that Skinner deal, no one will convince me we got a good return-- not even that guy sitting next to me sipping a dunkel on Saturday night telling me we got lots of picks and a really good prospect.

Good for Max Pacioretty getting out of that crazy Montreal environment. Bergeron got good return, but Pacioretty has to be grateful going west to a tight team without all that foolishness and good it got settles ahead of training camp.

As far as that Skinner deal, no one will convince me we got a good return-- not even that guy sitting next to me sipping a dunkel on Saturday night telling me we got lots of picks and a really good prospect.

Given the insane disparity in the return, it's almost impossible to compare the two deals. Clearly there was something going on in the Skinner situation that we won't fully understand. Whether it was the no trade clause (which Pacioretty doesn't have) have or something else. It makes it really hard to say whether Canes' management could've gotten a better deal. Sure, we can dump on the management team all we want, but given the unknowns it's really hard to judge this one.

Warsteiner Dunkel?

Mmm mmm.

I enjoy the Warsteiner Dunkel, but this was a local craft dunkel-- Dark Cloud from Mother Earth Brewing out of Kinston, NC.

I was having a Bell's Two Hearted Ale-- an IPA out of Michigan.

Last edited:
Without beating a dead horse, this trade makes the Skinner deal look even more awful than most of us earlier commented on. Great return for the Habs, a very useful offensive player in Tatar who Vegas surrendered a first, second and third round pick for last season at the deadline and a very high end center prospect in Suzuki along with a second...Bergy actually made a pretty good trade for Patches.

Yeah ... the horse is dead, but replace our return for Skinner with Suzuki and a 2nd and I'd have been a lot less salty. Tatar looks well past his usefulness date. Now he's just expensive.

Decent trade for both teams. Montreal gets a real prospect in Suzuki (Agree with JB here...that should have been mandatory in a Skinner trade!) and Tatar was a salary dump by Vegas (couldn't scratch the lineup of an expansion team!). Vegas gets Max, who is a very good, if not great player. All in all, a pretty fair trade.

That said, I somewhat question the Vegas strategy. They will be a very good team again this year, which seems to be the priority, but long term they are starting to look old and shouldn't be trading prospects like Suzuki. I understand they still retained their top center prospect (Suzuki was #2) but Vegas could very well be on of the worst teams in the league in 4-5 years. Interesting team building strategy, but hard to knock the results thus far.

That said, I somewhat question the Vegas strategy. They will be a very good team again this year, which seems to be the priority, but long term they are starting to look old and shouldn't be trading prospects like Suzuki. I understand they still retained their top center prospect (Suzuki was #2) but Vegas could very well be on of the worst teams in the league in 4-5 years. Interesting team building strategy, but hard to knock the results thus far.

Yeah, I get that. But Phelan has about a million loose ends to wrap up and tons of potentially trade-able assets to play with over the next couple of years. They're set up to have at least two roster churns before they hit Year 5. Patches gives him somebody reliable for the right now plus he got rid of that horrible Tatar contract ... and who knows? Patches might be willing to stick around as a bridge the gap guy. He's only 29 and is legit Captain material. I think his demise last season was as much down to the general malaise in Montreal as it was to him slowing down. That was really his first year with bad production since he broke in as a full time NHLer nearly 10 years ago. The guy has been churning out 30-something goals and 60-something points like a freaking machine for his whole career. I think Vegas has a decent shot to extend his contract if they can prove they've got a solid plan going forward. If not, then you've got a good player playing for a contract next summer.

LeBrun tweeted that Vegas signs Pacioretty to a 4 year/$28 million extension. Salary is $10.5, $7, $5.25, $5.25. No signing bonus, limited NTC.

LeBrun tweeted that Vegas signs Pacioretty to a 4 year/$28 million extension. Salary is $10.5, $7, $5.25, $5.25. No signing bonus, limited NTC.

Yeah ... since the extension was an issue when Pacioretty nixed a trade to LA, I figured they might have had an agreement in principle in place beforehand. That solidifies a really solid trade for Vegas. I think they picked up a really solid guy to help steady things for 4 years while they go through a bunch of roster turnover. Meanwhile, Montreal didn't really want to get better right away and this "helps" them out too. And I think Suzuki could be a real gem down the road.

Hey everyone, be safe with Florence bearing down. Don’t mess around, get prepared!

I hope everyone makes out okay.

While I still think the return in the Jeff Skinner trade was crap, let's remember here that Max Pacioretty >>>> Jeff Skinner in just about every way imaginable except for falling on his ass at which Skinner is an elite talent.

That 2nd round pick the Habs got was Columbus', so that will be a low 2nd round pick. And Tatar sure looked like useless crap last time we saw him play and he is getting paid $5.5, $5.5 and $4.2 over the next 3 seasons. Over the most recent 3 seasons he has had 45, 46, and 34 points. You could easily argue that the Habs deserved Suzuki for taking on Tatar's terrible contract.

For a much better player than Skinner, the Habs got a worse 2nd round pick, an overpaid forward still owed a lot of money, and Nick Suzuki. They SHOULD have gotten a better return than the Skinner trade and they did.

Skinner's 8 season career 579 games 204 Goals 175 Assists -96

Pacioretty's last 8 seasons 540 Games 220 Goals 203 Assists +44

I think we need to be realistic about the difference between Jeff Skinner and his trade value and Max Pacioretty and his trade value.

Last edited:
Back