Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: 2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

David Pastrnak had surgery to repair his left thumb and will be out at least 2 weeks. The Bruins are 3rd in the Atlantic, 1 point ahead of Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Also worth noting that Boston are on 70 points and sit only one thin point above the first wildcard team ... Montreal.

Washington's struggles have continued and they're creeping into the Wildcard zone as well, at 69 points ... only 4 ahead of Columbus for 3rd in the Metro. The East is starting to take on the typical look of the West underneath Tampa. There's only ten points between 2nd in the Conference NY Islanders and 9th in the Conference Carolina. A large-ish pile of teams that aren't bad but aren't all that good either.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    That is NOT good news for the NHL regional TV contracts. Sinclair is a freaking joke.
    The Chicago Cubs are going the way of the Yankees and setting up their own TV network. It will be their exclusive TV home starting in 2020. They’re partnering with Sinclair. The Cubs current TV home is WGN, the flagship TV station of Tribune Broadcasting, which Sinclair tried to buy before the FCC killed the deal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dannyecke...64534944182272

Post Thanks / Like

For decades the Cubs essentially had their own network in WGN, and the club was actually owned by the Tribune for almost 30 years. Weird relationship to say the least ... with the Cubs being owned, operated, broadcast on radio and TV and reported on in the market's major newspaper all by the same company. WGN gave the Cubs a national footprint even though they really didn't earn it on the field ... kind of like TBS and the Braves. But all of those old relationships fade into the mists eventually.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Red Wings place Hurricanes legend Martin Frk on waivers...

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

He still needs to buy a vowel...

Post Thanks / Like

We got Frk from them the last time they tried that, didn't we? If he's being waived again, I'm guessing that Frk and fine wine aren't related.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punzil View Post
    We got Frk from them the last time they tried that, didn't we? If he's being waived again, I'm guessing that Frk and fine wine aren't related.
    He was with the Canes for 22 days in October, 2016. After being claimed by Detroit, he spent the rest of 2016-17 season in GrandRapids. But he spent all of last season in Detroit, scoring 11 goals in 68 games. He only played 25 games this season, with 1 goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Frk is just one of those guys that would appear to do well in the NHL, but always proves to be AHL material.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    Frk is just one of those guys that would appear to do well in the NHL, but always proves to be AHL material.
    The AHL is filled with guys like Frk. Most of them have names with more vowels though.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Dreger tweeted that the Oilers and Flyers are in discussions around Cam Talbot. If it happens, and Talbot plays, he’d be the 17th goalie used by the Flyers this year. Or the 8th. It would be a record.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Dreger tweeted that the Oilers and Flyers are in discussions around Cam Talbot. If it happens, and Talbot plays, he’d be the 17th goalie used by the Flyers this year. Or the 8th. It would be a record.

Imma guess it'll go about as well as it did with all the others. The Hart kid is the only one with a winning record and decent numbers. Talbot has been decidedly not great in Edmonton this year after being slightly below average last season. Part of that is playing behind that bad defense, but not all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post

Apparently Hart and Talbot are training partners in the off season and get along well, I bet this deal happens because the Oilers are trying like heck to move out a contract to be able to activate our old friend Andrej Sekera from IR who is 3 games into a 5 game AHL conditioning stint and needs to be able to fit under the cap.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what Philly gains in acquiring Talbot, other than a friend for Hart. Hart is likely the best goalie prospect since Price or Fleury and seems to be a lock in goal for Philly. (When is the last time Philly had a real number one goalie?)

Philly isn't going anywhere this year playoff wise, so they better not ship any real assets to acquire Talbot. There is no point. Just sign him as a UFA this off-season if you really want a mentor for Hart....and is Talbot really the best choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    The AHL is filled with guys like Frk. Most of them have names with more vowels though.
    I have 12 letters in my last name and only 3 are vowels— running multiple consonants together scares people. There is a stretch of five consonants without a vowel in my last name.

Post Thanks / Like

There's some irony in the fact that Nedeljkovic keeps popping up in lists of the top 30 goaltending prospects. Granted, he's consistently between 21 and 30, but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Canes top 30 goalie prospects? Sure, I could believe that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPen View Post
    Not sure what Philly gains in acquiring Talbot, other than a friend for Hart. Hart is likely the best goalie prospect since Price or Fleury and seems to be a lock in goal for Philly. (When is the last time Philly had a real number one goalie?)

Philly isn't going anywhere this year playoff wise, so they better not ship any real assets to acquire Talbot. There is no point. Just sign him as a UFA this off-season if you really want a mentor for Hart....and is Talbot really the best choice?
    The general thinking on Talbot is that he's been broken by the general lack of defensive quality and dysfunctional atmosphere in Edmonton, so when he gets to a stable organization he'll eventually regain his form. And from Philly's end, they know Hart is likely to be a solid NHL keeper, but he's still a child and they want somebody experienced to split time with him while he continues to mature.

That all sounds good except that Philly might be every bit as dysfunctional as Edmonton ... just in a different way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punzil View Post
    There's some irony in the fact that Nedeljkovic keeps popping up in lists of the top 30 goaltending prospects. Granted, he's consistently between 21 and 30, but still...
    I mean, Ned's a decent prospect. Not top shelf based on the glacial pace of his development, but his pedigree is solid and he's done well taking on the full time starter role in Charlotte. Not sure what's surprising or ironic about him appearing on a goalie prospects list in the bottom 3rd of the pile.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334