• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Calder Cup Winning Charlotte Checkers Thread

Re: 2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Piecing a couple of things together on Kuokkanen. He missed the AHL All-Star game with what the team called “nagging injuries”. It was at the Canes request that he not play. He came back from whatever they were and played as recently as March 2. In a 10 thoughts column on March 13, Jason Shaya had this:

Still not anything specific but I agree, it all points to a joint-related injury.

https://gocheckers.com/articles/features/shaya-s-10-thoughts-march-13-2019

My Checkers STH buddy says it's probably a knee. But yeah ... the club has been SUPER quiet about whatever his actual injury might be.

Jack Drury was named to the ECAC all-rookie team.

Boston College survived their series with Providence and advanced to the Hockey East semifinals where they face UMass. They need to win the tournament to get a bid to the NCAA tournament. So it’s another week before we hear anything on David Cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Fox was named to the All-ECAC first team. With 46 points in the season, he has a chance to become the first dman in 9 years to get 50 in a season. He’s also the first junior dman since Justin Schultz in 2011-12 to get to 100 career points.

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 3/17/2019. Going to be a really thin crop of kids getting playoff action this season
==========================================================

Jack Drury C (2nd round 2018 ECAC Harvard Fr.) 30 Games 9 Goals 15 Assists +11 ** Harvard beat Dartmouth in 2 games to advance in the ECAC tourney. Clarkson is up next starting Friday.

Luke Henman C (4th round 2018 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand) 63 Games 12 Goals 34 Assists -7 *** Blainville-Boisbriand is not playoff bound, Henman's season is over.

Lenni Killinen RW (4th round 2018 Liiga Assat) 32 Games 3 Goals 8 Assists -4 *** Assat did not make the playoffs, Killinen's season is over.

Jesper Sellgren LHD (6th round 2018 SweHL Lulea) 52 Games 3 Goals 12 Assists +6 *** Lulea will play Växjö in their Quarterfinals matchup.

Eetu Luostarinen C (2nd round 2017 Liiga KalPa): 54 Games 15 Goals 21 Assists Even *** KalPa did not make the playoffs, Luostarinen's season is over.

Stelio Mattheos RW (3rd round 2017 WHL Brandon): 65 Games 44 Goals 52 Assists +17 *** Brandon missed the playoffs so Mattheos' WHL season is over. It would be pretty surprising to not see him sign an entry level deal with the Canes soon and join the Checkers on amateur contract for this season, if just to practice and travel with the team.

Brendan De Jong LHD (6th round 2017 WHL Portland): 51 Games 7 Goals 20 Assists -1 *** Portland will open quarterfinal play against Spokane this week.

Ville Rasanen LHD (7th round 2017 USHL Lincoln/Chicago):
With Lincoln 8 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even
With Chicago 35 Games 1 Goal 3 Assists +4

Adam Fox RHD (trade ECAC Harvard Jr.): 31 Games 9 Goals 37 Assists +24 *** Umm, yeah, he's too good to be playing in college.

Matt Filipe LW (3rd round 2016 Hockey East Northeastern Jr.): 34 Games 7 Goals 9 Assists +4 *** Northeastern beat Maine in 2 games, next up is BU

Luke Stevens LW (5th round 2015 ECAC Yale Jr.): 23 Games 4 Goals 3 Assists -7 *** Clarkson defeated Yale in 2 games. Yale finishes the season 15-15-3 and are not likely going to make the NCAA tourney. Stevens' season is over. Obviously he is not leaving school early for the pros

David Cotton C (6th round 2015 Hockey East Boston College Jr.): 37 Games 21 Goals 12 Assists -9 *** BC eliminated Providence in 3 games. Next up is UMASS on Friday.

Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 USHL Des Moines/Omaha):
With Des Moines 1-0-0 5.00 GAA .815 Sv%
With Omaha 2-4-1 3.87 GAA .861 Sv%

Eetu Makiniemi G (4th round 2017 Mestis Kiekko-Vanta/Lliga Jr A. Jokerit/KHL Jokerit): *** Appears to be back with Kiekko-Vanta now
With Jr. A Jokerit: Record unknown 1 Game 9.00 GAA .735 Sv%
With Kiekko-Vanta: Record unknown 13 Games 2.92 GAA .905 Sv%
With KHL Jokerit: No Games played

Jack LaFontaine G (3rd round 2016 BCHL Penticton):

Regular Season: 30-13-1 2.19 GAA .923 Sv%
Playoffs 2-4 2.02 GAA .924 Sv% **** Penticton lot their first round matchup against Cowichan Valley in 6 games (a HUGE upset). LaFontaine is headed back to college next season, we will see how that goes.

**************** Players whose seasons ended in previous weeks **********

Luke Martin RHD (2nd round 2017 Big 10 Michigan Jr.)
Max Zimmer LW (4th round 2016 Big 10 Wisconsin Jr.):

Checkers still winning:

Mar 15 Rochester W 4-1 Ned with the win. Saarela, Brown x2 and Necas with the goals.
Mar 16 Rochester W 3-1 Tokarski with the win. Sanguinetti, Sarela and Gauthier with the goals

That was a very good Rochester team the Checkers swept this weekend.

The lead over Bridgeport is back to 8. Checkers still have a game in hand.

4 home games this coming week Tue/Wed vs. Syracuse and Sat/Sun vs. Hartford. Syracuse is now the 2nd best team in the AHL Eastern conference, Hartford is last in the Atlantic division.

Saarela was suspended for 2 games for a 'high sticking incident' in Saturday's game.

Checkers results from their first set of game this week against the baby Bolts (aka the 2nd best team in the AHL Eastern Conference):

Mar 19 Syracuse L 2-1 (OT). Ned with the loss, Necas with the goal
Mar 20 Syracuse W 4-2. Ned with the win. McKeown, Roy and Necas x2 with the goals.

Checkers are now even up with 2nd place Bridgeport in terms of games played and have a 10 point lead over them. They extended their conference lead over Syracuse to 4 games. 11 games remain in the regular season.

Checkers still have 2 home games this week vs. Hartford on Sat/Sun

Without playing a game tonight, the Cherkers became the first team to clinch a playoff spot.

Boston College didn’t make the NCAA tournament and the expectation is that David Cotton will turn pro shortly. If he does, he’d be a rarity among BC hockey players; never played in the NCAA tournament or the Beanpot final.

Harvard did make the tournament, they’re the 4th seed in the Northeast, playing UMass on Friday at 3 on ESPN2. He could be a Hurricane by Saturday morning.

In just their 3rd season as a full Division I team, Arizona St. made the tournament as the 3rd seed in the Midwest, facing Quinnipiac. They’re an independent, so an even Morten’s remarkable achievement.

Checkers closed out the weekend strong:

Mar 23 Hartford W 3-1. Ned with the win. Gauthier, Brown and Necas with the goals
Mar 24 Hartford W 6-2 Tokarski with the win. Bean, Saarela x2, Jurdo, Roy and Geekie with the goals.

As already noted above, the Checkers clinched a playoff spot prior to these 2 wins. They have a 10 point lead in the division and 6 point lead in the conference with 9 games left.

3 road games this week. Wed @Bridgeport, Friday @Hartford and then Sat @Bridgeport again.

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 3/24/2019.
================================================== ========

Jack Drury C (2nd round 2018 ECAC Harvard Fr.) 31 Games 9 Goals 15 Assists +11 ** Harvard lost to Clarkson in the ECAC Semis 5-2. As andyt noted, they are NCAA tourney bound.

Jesper Sellgren LHD (6th round 2018 SweHL Lulea) Playoffs 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists *** Lulea leads Växjö 2-0 in their Quarterfinals matchup.

Brendan De Jong LHD (6th round 2017 WHL Portland): Playoffs 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists *** Portland is tied with Spokane 1-1 in their quarterfinals matchup.

Ville Rasanen LHD (7th round 2017 USHL Lincoln/Chicago):
With Lincoln 8 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even
With Chicago 38 Games 1 Goal 4 Assists +7

Adam Fox RHD (trade ECAC Harvard Jr.): 32 Games 10 Goals 38 Assists +26 *** Canes nation waits for Harvard to lose in the NCAAs.....

Matt Filipe LW (3rd round 2016 Hockey East Northeastern Jr.): 36 Games 8 Goals 11 Assists +6 *** Northeastern Won the Hockey East championship with Wins against BU and BC. They will play Cornell in the NCAA tourney next Saturday.

David Cotton C (6th round 2015 Hockey East Boston College Jr.): 39 Games 23 Goals 13 Assists -8 *** BC beat UMASS but lost the Hockey east Championship to Northeaster, ending their season. andyt covered David Cotton's status already, he is actually expected to turn pro. How he fits into the Canes long term plans I'm not at all sure. I don't know how good he really is relative to the rest of our pile of prospects in Charlotte...we will see.

Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 USHL Des Moines/Omaha):
With Des Moines 1-0-0 5.00 GAA .815 Sv%
With Omaha 2-4-1 3.87 GAA .861 Sv%

**************** Players whose seasons ended in previous weeks **********

Luke Henman C (4th round 2018 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand)
Lenni Killinen RW (4th round 2018 Liiga Assat)
Eetu Luostarinen C (2nd round 2017 Liiga KalPa)
Luke Martin RHD (2nd round 2017 Big 10 Michigan Jr.)
Stelio Mattheos RW (3rd round 2017 WHL Brandon) - We will watch to see if/when he plays a game with the Checkers
Max Zimmer LW (4th round 2016 Big 10 Wisconsin Jr.)
Luke Stevens LW (5th round 2015 ECAC Yale Jr.)

Eetu Makiniemi G (4th round 2017 Mestis Kiekko-Vanta/Lliga Jr A. Jokerit/KHL Jokerit)
Jack LaFontaine G (3rd round 2016 BCHL Penticton)

Harvard did make the tournament, they’re the 4th seed in the Northeast, playing UMass on Friday at 3 on ESPN2. He could be a Hurricane by Saturday morning.

I assume you're referring to Adam Fox.

In just their 3rd season as a full Division I team, Arizona St. made the tournament as the 3rd seed in the Midwest, facing Quinnipiac. They’re an independent, so an even Morten’s remarkable achievement.

I hereby decree that a Morten's achievement belongs in the Stagnuts Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

I assume you're referring to Adam Fox.

Yes, thanks for clarifying.

I hereby decree that a Morten's achievement belongs in the Stagnuts Hall of Fame.

I hearby decree that my iPhone sucks. It took 3 tries to override spell check and get “hearby” into this post.

There's a reason I've all but abandoned Safari as a browser. Apple's spellcheck/word mangler is WAY more invasive on their own platforms.

David Cotton is staying at BC for his senior year. That means he can go the Jimmy Vesey route next year if he wants to.

There isn't any place for Cotton in Charlotte anyway so that isn't that big a deal to me. If he elects to never sign with the Canes that is fine too. I know he scored a bunch of goals this season but I've never heard of him being an sort of high end prospect. There isn't going to be much room for him in the organization after his senior year either, unless he completely goes off again next season and scores 30 goals.

Back