• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Calder Cup Winning Charlotte Checkers Thread

Re: 2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

If Cotton wasn't a pivot, I honestly wouldn't care. Juniors and Seniors in college tend to dominate the scoring unless they're strictly defensive minded players. And yeah ... nothing I've even read indicates that Cotton is viewed as anything other than a depth prospect. Fine. We've got a million of those already in the system.

We will see. I suspect Cotton feels some level of obligation to BC, as andyt said its very rare for a kid to go there and effectively miss the NCAA tourney 3 times. The Canes might well have told him that they would prefer he go back to school for his Senior season in anticipation of the Checkers being all jammed up with the likes of Gauthier, Geekie, Saarela, Necas, Kuokkanen, Roy, Mattheos already there next season. Keeping him in college one more season gives the kid a chance to make amends for BCs crappy teams over the past 3 seasons while the Canes can push off his entry level clock an extra season while he continues his development.

OR

The kid might think he's all that now and is hoping he follows up this season with another great one and then cashes in with a max entry level deal as a UFA.

If its the former, the Canes and Cotton might make a comment that indicates that (not the entry level clock part). If its the latter, we might not hear anything....

Adam Fox is returning to Harvard for his senior year. He’s almost definitely going the Jimmy Vesey route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Fox is returning to Harvard for his senior year. He’s almost definitely going the Jimmy Vesey route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the guy who once said: "I know people think I have some plan to sign with the [New York] Rangers because of where I grew up. But my dream, my goal, is to play in the NHL. As soon as possible."

Apparently, in two weeks, or in October 2019 is not as soon as October 2020. What are they teaching these kids at Harvard these days?!

This one is on Canes management.

FWIW, Canes management say they’ve heard nothing official from the kid. Could be parsing words, or protecting their position with regards to the asset value ... but I’ve told you guys all along that I’ll get excited about Fox the second he signs a contract and not before. No one should be surprised if he does a bunk and ends up a free agent.

Oh, and anyone who wants him in the NHL right now, in the middle of a playoff chase is nuts. He’s nowhere near ready for that. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I’ve read that he’s a head case along with his parents. It would not surprise me at all if he doesn’t sign and tries to pick where he plays.

As I said multiple times, I don't trust the kid at all. If he really does elect to play this out and sign elsewhere that sucks, especially if he gave the Canes ANY indication that he would sign. Guess Tim Gleason has been up there wasting his time....maybe Tim should go up there again and smack the kid.

Look ... for a bit of perspective take a deeper dive into Vesey. He was supposed to be a great NHLer right out of the box, but I’d say Nashville certainly hasn’t missed him and The Rangers are still waiting for him to make a real impact 3 seasons into his career. We were supposed to be all sore about Jack Johnson too, but I’d say we dodged a bullet there.

These things have a way of turning out WAY less of a big deal than they seem when these kids have yet to prove a danged thing in the big picture. College hockey is funny that way. Hobey Baker winners almost always suck in the NHL, and things just aren’t always what they seem in their face. It is what it is.

We were supposed to be all sore about Jack Johnson too, but I’d say we dodged a bullet there.

I was going to say, this is starting to sound like Johnson again... even Tim Gleason's involved.

So basically... never draft or trade for collage kids.

Not so much HIM but the fact that he was a fairly important piece of that trade. Presumably Calgary knew he'd never sign. So they unloaded him.

Not so much HIM but the fact that he was a fairly important piece of that trade. Presumably Calgary knew he'd never sign. So they unloaded him.

I remember reading that was precisely the reason they moved him. They knew he wouldn’t sign with them. Not sure if they knew he wouldn’t sign with anyone.

Waddell made a point to state that the Canes insisted on Fox being included in the trade. So we had some (ill conceived?) belief the Fox would sign here. Sounds like the kid might be mostly full of sh$@ when he claims that his intent isn't all about signing with the Rangers. We will see.

Back