• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

The D is tough but again it's clear Zaitsev and Hainsey need less minutes while Dermott needs more, but I doubt we see that till those two are gone and Dermott passes into veteran status for Babs.

I didn't quote the relevant passage on Hainsey-Zaitsev but Mirtle made a solid point on their futility together that they've generally only been used coming out of a PK (so likely already stuck in the defensive zone) or when defending leads late in games (making score effect a more pressing issue). So I think it would be pretty useful to mix the other 4 defenders in a bag and see which pairings pop out while giving Hainsey-Zaitsev a shot together as a 3rd pairing. Main concern with that is 1) They could just suck together, neither moves the puck well at all so even against light opposition they might be terrible & 2) our guy in charge would almost definitely feel the need to play them like a 2nd pairing if he put them together, regardless of how bad they were getting caved in. It would definitely be interesting to see Muzzin-Dermott together as a 2nd pair though and Rielly-Gardiner together as the top pair.

I find it hard to believe that Dubas hasn't already talked to Babcock about usage. They've implied in the past that they're in constant communication.

I didn't quote the relevant passage on Hainsey-Zaitsev but Mirtle made a solid point on their futility together that they've generally only been used coming out of a PK (so likely already stuck in the defensive zone) or when defending leads late in games (making score effect a more pressing issue). So I think it would be pretty useful to mix the other 4 defenders in a bag and see which pairings pop out while giving Hainsey-Zaitsev a shot together as a 3rd pairing. Main concern with that is 1) They could just suck together, neither moves the puck well at all so even against light opposition they might be terrible & 2) our guy in charge would almost definitely feel the need to play them like a 2nd pairing if he put them together, regardless of how bad they were getting caved in. It would definitely be interesting to see Muzzin-Dermott together as a 2nd pair though and Rielly-Gardiner together as the top pair.

hainsey-zaitsev are also used on the 5-on-6, which is counted as 5v5 on naturalstattrick. (removed from the samples used on Corsica, though).

Gilman and another Leafs rep were at the Canes /Rags game last night

Starting to think they just enjoy watching the Canes play

Mirtle has written an article that shows Hainsey and Zaitsev as a unit is definitely horrific in ES. You cannot play them together, even in 3rd unit sheltered usage. We'll get killed.

It is what it is, I just wish we'd see more of Rielly-Dermott. Rielly-Hainsey was pretty bag last night (again)

Just checked some stats
So far we had total
1 5-3 PP , Tampa 17 and Boston 14
0 4-3 PP
0 OT PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked some stats
So far we had total
1 5-3 PP , Tampa 17 and Boston 14
0 4-3 PP
0 OT PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We also lead the league in games where we didn't get a single PP (4) over 60 min + potential OT.

Gilman and another Leafs rep were at the Canes /Rags game last night

Starting to think they just enjoy watching the Canes play
I've been dismissing the Leafs/Carolina rumours all season, but we're really getting to a "where there's smoke, there's fire" type of situation.

Really don't like the idea of shipping out Kapanen for any of the D-men they'd be willing to move though, so hopefully that's not what's being considered.

Unfortunately I think it’s going to take something like that to get a Hamilton or Pesce.

I would rather they look for a cheaper upgrade and utilize the lineup better but it seems they are keeping their eye on someone

I've been dismissing the Leafs/Carolina rumours all season, but we're really getting to a "where there's smoke, there's fire" type of situation.

Really don't like the idea of shipping out Kapanen for any of the D-men they'd be willing to move though, so hopefully that's not what's being considered.

Yeah I dont see how we can afford to move kappy or johnsson. Do a lineup without either and shit looks ugly on that wing.

Pesce there is no way, but Hamilton you probably have to take the hit up front and do that. The guy's numbers are ridiculous. He's a legit #1 dman that is young, cheap and a righty. I thnk that makes you a better team. Plus Bracco has probably earned a shot anyway.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Brown-Kadri-Bracco
Moore-Goat-Ennis

Rielly-Hamilton
Muzzin-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott

Do we possibly move Kadri for one of those defenders? Nylander getting praise from Babcock last night.

I just want to see how this team looks without bums like Hainsey and Zaitsev on the backend. Bring up Liljegren. Take away babcocks toys.

Babcock like any executive is a notorious bullshitter. Always dress a pig up before auction.

But I think we have a good lineup NOW. We just have a crappy administrator of lineup time.

This team goes nowhere with Babcock heading up the bench. I just have zero interest in watching our top players lose interest in this season.
Kadri married a Lebanese bombshell who is probably already leading him by the nose, so he is gone.

The big three aren't married yet, but they have something almost as bad, a coach that annoys them.

Tavares has to be slightly affected by now, he is slipping.

Its not good folks. Not good at all. Shanny, publicly admit you only made one mistake and then write MLSE a cheque for 50 million dollars. Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Huge mistake Shanny.

Scouts and hockey exec's watch games ... that's what they do. I really don't think Dubas is going to make another big move before the deadline.

As far as Hamilton goes, he's too talented and too young for a dman to have moved around THAT much. Something concerns me, and Toronto being the media market that we are, things get exaggerated. I don't know how well Hamilton is going to play in this market, given the assumption is he's not the most prototypical 'hockey character'.

And seriously, I like our team. The only things I don't like is Zaitsev and Marleau's cap drag on the team, and icetime distribution among our 'hard working guys' and our 'skilled players' ... so unless it's a trade that can fix either (or both) I really don't want to give up on any of our trade assets like Johnsson or Kapanen, or Sandin / Liljegren

I think they were watching the Rangers, not the Canes. I think the Canes wanted Kapanen for one of their guys, Dubas said no and then moved on to Muzzin.

Back