• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

Well yeah, no one is saying the Leafs don't have work to do on the D. We are just discussing whether they can let Gardiner go.

Either way they have to upgrade on Hainsey/Zaitsev. Even if Gardiner is back.

So, are you arguing in favour of re-signing Jake then, zeke?

Because while he's obviously a better and more valuable player than JVR was to this team, I do think their situations are comparable in a few ways.

They're both very useful players in their late 20's that, in a non-salary-cap world, you'd be happy to pay and keep if you're a rich contending team like the Leafs. They're both guys who the organization has cheap young replacements waiting in the wings for them to leave (Kapanen/Johnsson for JVR, Dermott/Sandin/Liljegren for Gardiner).

And in the end, I think they're both guys that this Leaf team can in no way afford to retain on a rich, long-term deal that stretches well into their 30's.

honestly I/we should do a deep dive on this.

give us the next 5-8 yrs of the leafs salary situation, with solid Cap increases every year, and for me with the assumption that Dubas will be able to get rid of Marleau/Zaitsev when necessary.

honestly I/we should do a deep dive on this.

give us the next 5-8 yrs of the leafs salary situation, with solid Cap increases every year, and for me with the assumption that Dubas will be able to get rid of Marleau/Zaitsev when necessary.

After next season they are more than fine if Z is gone. The marleau contract is killer.

With the cap going up every year and with the marleau contract off the books? I don't think the situation is nearly as dire as the media wants you to believe.

The problem is next year though.

yeah my impression is that we're fine, though kappy and johnsson might make it interesting. but I've only really looked at the next couple of years.

I'm more wondering if a 33yr old expensive Jake will force us to lose anyone.

Not sure if anyone posted this here but Zeke would have sure loved dubas' comments on recency bias and the wjc. Mentioned that he saw some lists that ranked anyone who played in the wjc really high and anyone who didn't really low. He was visibly angry at this. The leafs have Zeke as their GM ladies and gents.

yeah my impression is that we're fine, though kappy and johnsson might make it interesting. but I've only really looked at the next couple of years.

I'm more wondering if a 33yr old expensive Jake will force us to lose anyone.

Yeah Kap is legitimately warranting a 6 mil long-term deal. If he's a 55-60 point player that's market value.

Makes things awfully difficult.

tenor.gif

#feelsgoodman

Jake being gone will expose this team even more.

The rebuild happened all up front.

We have no back end. To speak of.

Time to rebuild again, but this time, we can bring in massive assets. We are too top heavy..

Trade Matthews before he becomes an albatross. And that is soon to come. Same for the smurf Marner. He is one good concussion away from palookaville.

Keep Kapanen. There isn't a good enough John Kordic to trade him for.

Man the Leafs suck. Again. Lol.

Dermott will be 23 with 120+ NHL games under his belt though. Thats the guy that would move up to the second pair. in Gardiner's spot. Frankley, I'm not even sure he should be on the 3rd pair now.

Sandin/Lilly replace Dermott on the bottom pair.

The bigger concern IMO is still upgrading Hainsey/Zaitsev. I am not too concerned about giving Dermott 20 minutes a game against 2nd line comp.

In my mind's eye I kind picture Dermott being that upgrade over Hainsey/Zaits, in addition to retaining Jake. It wouldn't need to work like that, but if we lose Jake we're still looking for two more top-4 d-men. Keep him and we only need one.

Yeah Kap is legitimately warranting a 6 mil long-term deal. If he's a 55-60 point player that's market value.

Makes things awfully difficult.

I almost wonder if they try to give Kap and Johnny one year deals this offseason to defer their 'bigger' contracts until Marleau/Zaits and the other junk has been cleared off the cap. If they took that approach, I can see Gardiner fitting in.

As mentioned, the only real cap crunch for us is next year. And if you get rid of Marleau, Zaitsev, Brown (hell even Hyman), then we're sitting very very pretty.

Rielly, Jake, Sandin, Liljegren, Dermott is a shit-tonne of talent on the backend.

If we can keep them, that's an insanely mobile and skilled blueline. Could be one of the elite D-corps in the league for years.

I'd really like to see Jake get a long stretch (i.e., rest of the season) with Dermott. It's kind of difficult to assess him at this stage, as he's been playing alongside the panic machine for the past two seasons. Maybe Dermott can stabilize things and get Jake more consistent?

I played defence for one season, couldn't wait to get back up to forward. Very complicated position, might even be worse than having to play goal.

"consistency" is a funny thing.

I swear every time we play Doughty or Karlsson we see them make boneheaded plays and get burnt badly.

Jake is like no other player I've ever seen. He plays at an elite level for good stretches and then has days where he's just awful for the entire game and that can go on for stretches as well. It isn't about making boneheaded plays, it's about playing poorly and relatively awful for him.

zeke, when someone says something negative about Leafs blueliners, try not to conflate it with stuff that you hear on the radio.

Back