• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

If we have any expectations of our young "assets" making a difference--it's a lot of rose colored glasses. Bean---not so much. Fox(not signed)--maybe...everyone else--shocking if they deliver a big impact

The way things are currently unfolding it would be extremely foolish for the Canes to make a big trade for William Nylander. This team has so many holes that need to be fixed that trading away assets and then giving a huge amount of money to Nylander, who may or may not be good at center, wouldn't make any sense at all.

I still fully expect that Nylander comes to terms with the Leafs sometime soon....but hey Waddell and Dundon, don't get suckered into the idea that Nylander would come in and fix all that currently ails this squad.

Agreed. That's the trade you make if you feel like you're on the right track and you need a specific asset to tie it all together. MAYBE if Rask gets back and the situation looks less dire at center with one more big body in the mix ... MAYBE ... but that's going to be too late for Billy Nylander's timeframe.

If we have any expectations of our young "assets" making a difference--it's a lot of rose colored glasses. Bean---not so much. Fox(not signed)--maybe...everyone else--shocking if they deliver a big impact

Big impact? Heck no. We ran a really wide open camp this year. If anybody was even remotely ready to even play at all on the big club, then he already got his shot. That's not to say we couldn't tinker around the margins and cobble together a fit for a specific player ... either out of pure need or because they start to find their game. But there's no more Necas or Svechnikov level guys in our pipeline. And neither of those two are fully baked just yet either.

And there is the answer to my question, they didn't wait until returning home. Bishop was non existent out there before as was Roy so those moves do little. Expect Zykov to be pulled from the lineup for PDG as if that will help spark the offense.

There is an article in the Athletic that basically says the Canes Corsi numbers are so crazy good that it's just a matter of time before this team gets back to winning.

I disagree, I think the Canes have done a great job showing that Corsi is relatively useless over the years. But the point if this article is the Canes Corsi is ridiculously high that it is almost impossible for them not ro start winning again.

We will see.

The Canes are proof of the flaw in Corsi. We’ve heard this Corsi BS for a few years now and it hasn’t balanced out yet. Corsi is like measuring a baseball team’s offense by the number of swings the team took. Useful. Might tell you something about why your team is succeeding or failing. But it will not project success or failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an article in the Athletic that basically says the Canes Corsi numbers are so crazy good that it's just a matter of time before this team gets back to winning.

I disagree, I think the Canes have done a great job showing that Corsi is relatively useless over the years. But the point if this article is the Canes Corsi is ridiculously high that it is almost impossible for them not ro start winning again.

We will see.

There was a similar article this week stating the Islanders analytics so far point to big trouble ahead, yet they have the most points in the Metro. I’d take the Islanders point total over the Canes right now, despite what the “experts” think!

PNC arena has 16 concerts on tap through the summer and also has Disney on Ice and Cirque du Soleil. That's probably the most I have ever seen scheduled at PNC. Maybe Dundon has told the arena management to be more proactive in getting concerts. You have the old war horses like Elton John, Cher, and McCartney but also younger folks like Ariana Grande and Travis Scott and Justin Timberlake

This 4 days between games nonsense sucks. Just sayin’...

This 4 days between games nonsense sucks. Just sayin’...

I know! Hopefully they're getting some much needed polishing of the special teams work.

Meanwhile, LeBrun shared some thoughts on the Canes and the Nylander situation at the Athletic:

"Carolina: I’ve been talking about the Hurricanes and Nylander forever, it seems, but believe me when I say they are intent on giving it their best shot. For starters, no team in the bidding might be as deep on defence as the Canes. As I’ve said before, I think they’d be willing to move top-four blueliner Brett Pesce, 23, in a deal for Nylander. The Leafs might prefer Jaccob Slavin but no way Carolina does that. Toronto would probably want more than Pesce. In which case I would think the Canes would argue his contract alone (five more years at a cap-friendly $4.025 million per season) is big value to the Leafs. So who knows how that would play out if both teams could ever find enough common ground. The other issue, well, is whether budget-conscious Carolina would actually sign Nylander. Don’t forget the Hurricanes have an important negotiation with franchise player Sebastian Aho ongoing as well. Either way, I think GM Don Waddell hopes to further the conversation with Dubas over the next few days."

https://theathletic.com/652614/2018...de-destinations-other-notes-from-gms-meeting/

I'd have to think long and hard about Pesce + for the right to pay Nylander market rate. Pesce is on a solid contract and when paired with Slavin forms as reliable a pair as you'll hope to find. One way to think about these guys as assets is to think of their marginal production relative to their contract. I think we can reasonably expect Pesce to outperform his current contract, while I don't hold the same hope for Nylander once he signs. Perhaps losing that marginal rate is the best way for us to address the huge, gaping hole at C which Rask isn't suited to fill. So maybe it's worth it. And maybe our D depth suggests the delta between Pesce and Fleury/TVR isn't nearly as large as that between Nylander and whoever he'd be displacing. But, man, it's hard to get excited about sending Pesce off to give a FA-like contract to a guy who hasn't scored more than Nylander has.

But, man, it's hard to get excited about sending Pesce off to give a FA-like contract to a guy who hasn't scored more than Nylander has.

In his first two full NHL seasons, Nylander scored 61 points each year. In the past six years, the Canes have had only 3 players put up 61 or more (Staal, 61 in 2013-14; Aho and TT at 65 and 64 last year). Not sayin' that justifies $8M per, just that one man's trash ....

Apparently they employ...*refers to notes*...scouts.

And in fact hired a very good one to be their GM. VERY few teams in this league are stupid. There's a reason Faulk has been officially or unofficially on the market for as long as he has.

Back