• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Maenalanen and Ned were sent down yesterday. I guess Ferland is ready and McElhinney isn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, who is the hot draft pick we are tanking for this year?

Lose for Hughes

Jack Hughes is the consensus No. 1 overall, and best of all ... he's a center. Since Carolina's chances of getting lucky in the lottery two years in a row suck on toast, it's worth noting that early draft projections dangle as many as FIVE other centers in the Top 15. All of them (aside from Hughes) over 6' tall, and all proper centers. Bottom line, if the Canes can't find a center to draft in 2019, then they simply aren't trying.

Last edited:
Ferland skating in regular gear at practice today. The picture that Chip posted showed them wearing their green pants.

Per Chip, Ferland skating with Bishop and McGinn, Martinook still with Aho and Teravainen at practice. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.

Zykov has played 2 games for Edmonton now. 0 points. He is on their 2nd PP unit (the one that doesn't have McDavid and Draisaitl and RNH and Alex Chiasson on it), so he is out there with stiffs like Rattie, Spooner and Lucic. He played 11:41 in his first game (a 7-2 Edmonton win) but only 7:01 in his 2nd game (a 1-0 Edmonton win). It will be interesting to see how long Edmonton is willing to keep him on their roster, but they are sort of giving him an opportunity on the PP, just not with their big guns.

Zykov has played 2 games for Edmonton now. 0 points. He is on their 2nd PP unit (the one that doesn't have McDavid and Draisaitl and RNH and Alex Chiasson on it), so he is out there with stiffs like Rattie, Spooner and Lucic. He played 11:41 in his first game (a 7-2 Edmonton win) but only 7:01 in his 2nd game (a 1-0 Edmonton win). It will be interesting to see how long Edmonton is willing to keep him on their roster, but they are sort of giving him an opportunity on the PP, just not with their big guns.

For the record, I don't think the Canes are going to claim him if he ends up getting waived again. Apparently, whatever he was doing early in the year soured the coaching staff pretty hard. If we end up getting Zykov back, it would be a front office/personnel decision.

Jordan Staal on IR, Janne Kuokkanen called up from Charlotte.

Kuokkanen skated with Rask and McGinn at practice. Ferland practiced but didn’t take a regular spot on the lines, per Smith and Canes Country. That he practiced indicates he passed the protocol and it wasn’t a delayed reaction to the concussion last night .

Kuokkanen skated with Rask and McGinn at practice. Ferland practiced but didn’t take a regular spot on the lines, per Smith and Canes Country. That he practiced indicates he passed the protocol and it wasn’t a delayed reaction to the concussion last night .

Ferland didn't "feel right" last night. That's why he sat out. He may be medically cleared, but still not feeling 100%.

Any concussion protocol that doesn't allow for "not feeling right" to be a disqualifier isn't worth the paper it's printed on. That IS a typical concussion symptom. Sluggishness, grogginess or just feeling lethargic.

Any concussion protocol that doesn't allow for "not feeling right" to be a disqualifier isn't worth the paper it's printed on. That IS a typical concussion symptom. Sluggishness, grogginess or just feeling lethargic.

Question is when did he start "not feeling right"? Based on lethargic play in the first, the whole team should be in the protocol.

Seems like once they realized he wasn't feeling right, they got him out of there.

Back