• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Well, I just want to be able to read the smaller print stuff on the board, so I'm happy aobut this change. Talk about being old...

Again, since all of these things seem to have wildly different text setups by the time that they're actually installed, let's just wait and see what it looks like.

I get you. I've only experience a couple of these over-sized boards and I can tell you that they do take an adjustment as a fan. They're SO bright that they can draw your eye away from the court/ice at weird times and finding the right screen to focus on to give yourself the proper view can be a struggle too. They're great for replays and highlights, but otherwise ... I'm good with the current level of visual impact.

I'll be cynical and argue that they don't care about distracting you from the game, they want to distract you from your cellphone.

I'll be cynical and argue that they don't care about distracting you from the game, they want to distract you from your cellphone.

Not a problem where I sit, because they still can't be bothered to get a signal down to the lower part of the lower bowl.

Not a problem where I sit, because they still can't be bothered to get a signal down to the lower part of the lower bowl.

It's very hit or miss for me in Row H on the blueline... some nights the wifi is actually usable, some nights 1 bar and good luck connecting to that. Let's slap some antennas on the bottom of this new bad boy when they put it up.

I get you. I've only experience a couple of these over-sized boards and I can tell you that they do take an adjustment as a fan. They're SO bright that they can draw your eye away from the court/ice at weird times and finding the right screen to focus on to give yourself the proper view can be a struggle too. They're great for replays and highlights, but otherwise ... I'm good with the current level of visual impact.

What they ought to do, in my opinion, is not show moving images on the screens while the play is going on ... which will never happen, I know.

I appreciate that they showing the play on the screens. You get enough folks coming down the stairs late and completely blocking your view of the play and the screen suddenly is the only way you can see what is going on. That and some locations in the lower bowl have blind spots in the corners.

I appreciate that they showing the play on the screens. You get enough folks coming down the stairs late and completely blocking your view of the play and the screen suddenly is the only way you can see what is going on. That and some locations in the lower bowl have blind spots in the corners.

+1

Yeah, that's SOP. The bigger the screen though, the more that constant motion can become a distraction. I've never noticed it before I encountered the first of these new mega-huge HD models.

Yeah, that's SOP. The bigger the screen though, the more that constant motion can become a distraction. I've never noticed it before I encountered the first of these new mega-huge HD models.

and its worse in the upper deck

Yeah ... I've got think that the giant screen will be right in front of your face if you sit lower down in the upper deck.

Allen is dead center in the first row of the upper deck, that thing will be right in his face. I’m closer to the corner so it won’t be as bad, I’m farther away and facing more of the smaller end.

I would hope that something like a mock up is available at Select-a-Seat. I may be moving seats this year (smaller package or just a cheaper section) and I would like to know how big/blinding/luxurious it will be.

Yeah, maybe I'm not such a fuddy-duddy, after all, eh? As Andy says, that monstrosity is going to be in my face and so damn distracting. Hell, I thought the 2nd ribbon board was over-kill.

I can tell yuz-all at 76 I'm a lot younger than my grandparents, uncles, etc. ever were at even younger ages - and prob'ly all y'all's as well. And so many people I know who are younger in age are but a lot older in life than I'll be at 100. And if family history holds, I may well make that.

I can tell yuz-all at 76 I'm a lot younger than my grandparents, uncles, etc. ever were at even younger ages - and prob'ly all y'all's as well. And so many people I know who are younger in age are but a lot older in life than I'll be at 100. And if family history holds, I may well make that.

I'm 56 and aiming for 100+ so why not. 50 is the new middle age.

I hear ya, Alan, and I assume you know that my jabs at you were in fun.

I’m still only 53 but I am sometimes amazed at how much more active I am than others my age, and even those much younger than me. My goal used to be that I would still be playing beer league hockey every week when I hit 60; God-willing, my goal now is at least 65.

My Dad turns 78 in three weeks...and he still works 20-25 hours a week and has no intention of retiring.

One of my favorite all-time quotes is “We don’t stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing.”

I still look forward to the new giant scoreboard!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, maybe I'm not such a fuddy-duddy, after all, eh? As Andy says, that monstrosity is going to be in my face and so damn distracting. Hell, I thought the 2nd ribbon board was over-kill.

That second ribbon board made my primary defense against arena glare (my ballcap) an absolutely necessity. These days, if I screw up and forget my hat I go straight to the Eye Store and get another one. It's not optional, as there's no way I'm going home with a migraine just so they can promote BCBS or Advanced Auto Parts or whatever.

Back