• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Over the last few weeks I've heard/seen a few comments along the lines of "Keep Martinook, trade Ferland. They're the same player and Martinook is cheaper". I feel stupid just for quoting that.

Over the last few weeks I've heard/seen a few comments along the lines of "Keep Martinook, trade Ferland. They're the same player and Martinook is cheaper". I feel stupid just for quoting that.

Yeah. That's ridiculous to the point of stupid. Martinook is a great team guy and a good depth player. He gives you energy and has a dynamic personality. He just doesn't; have Ferland's level of oomph on the ice, not to mention his goal scoring. Ferland is a malevolent player. Martinook is like a hyperactive Mastiff pup ... active, willing, big enough to do some damage, but not ultimately going to break anything. Or anybody.

Yeah. That's ridiculous to the point of stupid. Martinook is a great team guy and a good depth player. He gives you energy and has a dynamic personality. He just doesn't; have Ferland's level of oomph on the ice, not to mention his goal scoring. Ferland is a malevolent player. Martinook is like a hyperactive Mastiff pup ... active, willing, big enough to do some damage, but not ultimately going to break anything. Or anybody.

What started the fight with Ferland and Watson? The puck was at the other end of the ice, I heard a stick and helmet hit the ice in front of me and saw Ferland made a beeline to the wall.

What started the fight with Ferland and Watson? The puck was at the other end of the ice, I heard a stick and helmet hit the ice in front of me and saw Ferland made a beeline to the wall.

I didn't look over there early enough to get a clean look at the buildup. I got the impression that Ferland issued an invitation after Watson checked somebody else, but can't confirm that even after looking at the available video.

Same here- no idea what triggered the fight. I was watching the game and then drawn to the commotion away from the puck and saw helmet, gloves and sticks on the ice. They were chippy with each other the rest of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw our scouts at the game Friday night. All were on the 2nd floor of the arena outside the boxes. Guess we’re getting close to the trade deadline.

From Brett Finger, who writes for Canes Country:

The Hurricanes have played 29 games with Jordan Staal and 16 games without him.

With Staal: 12-13-4, .414 win %, .483 point %, 2.31 goals/game, 2.83 goals against/game

Without Staal: 10-5-1, .625 win %, .656 point %, 3.44 goals for/game, 2.88 goals against/game.

I also wonder what the PP% breakdown is without his hands of feet mishandling the puck.

https://twitter.com/brett_finger/status/1084825867954597888?s=21

a guy at the fishing expo mentioned he met Faulk and said he is big into bass fishing. I guess he might not favor a trade to a real cold place. I knew Faulk had a big pickup but this guy said he has a big boat too.

From Brett Finger, who writes for Canes Country:

The Hurricanes have played 29 games with Jordan Staal and 16 games without him.

With Staal: 12-13-4, .414 win %, .483 point %, 2.31 goals/game, 2.83 goals against/game

Without Staal: 10-5-1, .625 win %, .656 point %, 3.44 goals for/game, 2.88 goals against/game.

I also wonder what the PP% breakdown is without his hands of feet mishandling the puck.

https://twitter.com/brett_finger/status/1084825867954597888?s=21

What type of trade may be out there that could see a team handle the Jordan Staal cap hit and still see the Canes get back a similar priced center coming back? The old no trade clause in many of these players contracts make things tough to pull off. I'd love a Jeff Carter for Jordan Staal trade straight up!

Yeah ... Carter has supposedly given the Kings a VERY small list. That won't work. There are a few stragglers with fairly large payrolls who are supposedly looking to shake things up ... Philly, St Louis, Dallas. That's probably a more likely set of candidates to deal Staal IF the Canes were looking to do that. I doubt they're looking to move him though.

I'm sure Pierre McPlankton will weigh in at some point. Off the subject, but whoever originally came up with the Pierre McPlankton crack I would like to personally thank. My son and I both laugh our arses off every time we think about that..

Ahem ... credit to my son, the one who is now a standup working out of Asheville, Charlotte and points west. Not sure if it's entirely original to this board though. Some cracks are too good for only one person to think of them.

Sadly we lost the FAQ thread in one of the board refreshes. I don’t know if there is an archive on the database, it would be nice to have it back.

Back