• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

So 6 games in now and 4-1-1. Special teams off to rough starts along with the McGinn-Necas-Zykov/PDG line.

Anyone else wondering if it might be of benefit to both Necas and the Canes to send him to Charlotte for a while to build some confidence? I don't doubt that Necas will be a really really good NHL player, someday...but I'm looking at this from multiple angles here. The Canes really could use another more physical 2 way center who can win faceoffs (Necas is 34.3 in a sheltered 35 draws). Necas's line is doing absolutely nothing positive out there. And Roy (if he was the callup) can change up the penalty killing mix.

Not sure if I would slide Wallmark to center McGinn and Zykov/PDG or leave him be and put Roy in there. Svech-Wallmark-Martinook has been a pretty decent line combo.

Anyhow, I'm worried that Necas is pressing way too much out there and we are doing more harm than good to him and the team by leaving him in there to struggle. Yes he is a center and we are woefully short on centers. But, the centers we do have in the AHL play a defensively responsible game with some offensive skills. If we can get that one line going at some level as well AND add another faceoff/penalty killer I would feel a lot better about the overall look of the team. I not suggesting we banish Necas to Charlotte for the rest of the season, but I don't want him to go 10-15 games into the schedule like this.

Last edited:
Well, that's above my pay grade but I noticed that Brindy started to move Necas around in the line mix a bit in Winnipeg. He was on the wing for a few shifts and had some different line mates at times. That's the beginnings of a concerted effort to get him comfortable, I think. I would guess that they'll want to give him as much time as possible before doing anything dramatic like sending him down to Charlotte. But so far management has proved to be pretty pragmatic, and you can't just let the kid flounder forever without doing SOMETHING.

So 6 games in now and 4-1-1. Special teams off to rough starts along with the McGinn-Necas-Zykov/PDG line.

Anyone else wondering if it might be of benefit to both Necas and the Canes to send him to Charlotte for a while to build some confidence? I don't doubt that Necas will be a really really good NHL player, someday...but I'm looking at this from multiple angles here. The Canes really could use another more physical 2 way center who can win faceoffs (Necas is 34.3 in a sheltered 35 draws). Necas's line is doing absolutely nothing positive out there. And Roy (if he was the callup) can change up the penalty killing mix.

Not sure if I would slide Wallmark to center McGinn and Zykov/PDG or leave him be and put Roy in there. Svech-Wallmark-Martinook has been a pretty decent line combo.

Anyhow, I'm worried that Necas is pressing way too much out there and we are doing more harm than good to him and the team by leaving him in there to struggle. Yes he is a center and we are woefully short on centers. But, the centers we do have in the AHL play a defensively responsible game with some offensive skills. If we can get that one line going at some level as well AND add another faceoff/penalty killer I would feel a lot better about the overall look of the team. I not suggesting we banish Necas to Charlotte for the rest of the season, but I don't want him to go 10-15 games into the schedule like this.

Love the skill of Necas but I have to agree CMal that he is getting pushed around way too easy in almost every puck battle and physically he seems way overmatched right now, and that cannot be helping his confidence overall. Maybe a few weeks in Charlotte would help the North American game adjustment. Roy would seem like a good choice to take his place, but I remember Kuokkanen playing some center with the London Knights and he had a great training camp and may deserve a look.

IMO what we're seeing from Necas is simply the learning curve he should have been going through in Charlotte last year. I'm struggling to avoid judging the situation too harshly, but to my eyes he's nowhere near ready for NHL duty and I think thus far this season has been a disservice to him as a prospect and to the rest of the team. If the Canes were stumbling out of the gate, there'd be at least some scrutiny on this situation, but winning wallpapers over a LOT.

Then again, management put a LOT of bets on the table going into this season, and Necas seems to be pretty much the only one to go against them so far. Svechnikov has a lot to learn, but oozes skill and potential. Mrzaek has been competent, McElhinney slightly more so, Hamilton looks imposing enough even as he gets comfortable here, Ferland was a clean hit (if not a double in the gap) and Aho at center is working out well enough. We're managing to score well enough without Skinner and despite a decent start in Calgary I don't think anybody around here really misses Lindholm. Brindy of course was the biggest gamble and that's actually drawing rave reviews early on. Necas' failure to fit in and I guess Faulk's continuing mental mistakes are about the only negatives early on. Something had to go pear-shaped eventually.

Last edited:
I miss Lindholm's right handed faceoff abilities (he's 3rd in the league in faceoff% at the moment). Ferland more than makes up for Lindholm's offense...that said, Lindholm is going to end up being a 30 goal scorer for Calgary. I doubt that would have ever happened here, definitely not with Lindholm playing center, but those faceoff skills had some value for sure.

I still like the trade so far, but I might like it less if Ferland is looking for 4 years $20 million after putting up 25 goals/50 points and he ends up walking as a UFA.

Last edited:
Yeah ... we'll see how that goes. So far so good otherwise.

And FWIW, I do think that Lindy really just needed the reality check he got from being shipped out like that. He certainly couldn't complain about lack of opportunity or lack of quality line mates here. He got plenty of both and just didn't produce to anything like his level of ability. From the feedback I'm seeing from Calgary he's a different player now ... and good on him. I'll always wish him the best.

PDG on waivers today....likely headed to Cherkers.

Nicolas Roy named Player of the Week and Vellucci has been saying good things about him:

“You want to do your best and make sure that you’re the name that gets called up when something happens in Carolina and they call me and want to know who’s playing the best,” said Vellucci.

Either we're bringing Roy up to center Necas on RW and McGinn on LW...or perhaps making room for a two-player incoming trade. :sarcasm

Seriously, it could be PDG for Roy and Darling coming off IR that's driving this.

Nicolas Roy named Player of the Week and Vellucci has been saying good things about him:

Either we're bringing Roy up to center Necas on RW and McGinn on LW...or perhaps making room for a two-player incoming trade. :sarcasm

Seriously, it could be PDG for Roy and Darling coming off IR that's driving this.

I haven't heard anything new about Darling, but given what was being discussed last week he should be pretty close to ready to return to full practice. At that point they'll have to decide about whether or not to send him for a rehab assignment in Charlotte or not. Bottom line ... no rush on any of that. I'd guess they'll want to see Darling in practice while the team is in Raleigh for the rest of the week before they do anything. So, I don't think there's a Darling-related reason to waive PDG. A Roy-related reason is more likely ... or Kuokkannen, whatever.

And FWIW, there have been a lot of hints dropped that the Canes are seriously thinking about carrying three goalies, at least for the short run. I think we all know what's going to happen if we decide to waive McIlhenney .... if Toronto doesn't claim him, somebody else will ... and the other two are on one way contracts that would be on the expensive side in the minors. Plus, you really don't want to park ANY of these three in front of Ned so long as you see him as a legit prospect.

Last edited:
Sheesh. Way to underwhelm, Canes.

Probably because Bishop's a halfway decent PK'er...at least at the AHL level. Untested at the NHL level...until now.

Assume Wallmark gets field-promoted to 3C and Bishop becomes the 4C?

Fleury sent down for ice time, I suppose. Necas to get the same...plus some confidence.

Sheesh. Way to underwhelm, Canes.

Probably because Bishop's a halfway decent PK'er...at least at the AHL level. Untested at the NHL level...until now.

Assume Wallmark gets field-promoted to 3C and Bishop becomes the 4C?

Fleury sent down for ice time, I suppose. Necas to get the same...plus some confidence.

For all practical purposes, Wallmark has been 3C all season. He’s averaging 4 more even strength minutes per game than Necas. Why Bishop and not Roy? That’s the question, unless Roy comes up when PDG goes down tomorrow.

Yes, the "fourth line" (Martinook / Wallmark / Svechnikov) has been logging more minutes than the "third line" (McGinn / Necas / DiGiuseppe).

Going to be interesting to see how the bottom-six is shuffled with PDG and Necas out, Bishop and Zykov (presumably) in.

At least one LW is going to have to play their off-side. Probably Zykov since he shoots right but prefers the LW slot.

If Martinook / Wallmark / Svechnikov are left intact, then it will be McGinn / Bishop / Zykov as the new combo.

per @ice_chip, Necas and Fleury to the Cherkers; Clark Bishop recalled.

Why Bishop and not Roy? Dunno.

Bishop is a grinder, pure and simple. He’s here to play 4th line minutes. Wallmark’s line took over 3rd line duties nearly immediately as it was. It’s not like they can’t call up Roy ... or whomever ... later on if they want.

Bishop looked good in camp, better than Roy, and like JB said he is an grinder. Grit and Grinders make the club this year which goes along with the sizable amount of young talent.

It seems like Bishop has been around forever, but this is only his 3rd pro season. He split his first 2 years between Charlotte and Florida and played 68 games for Charlotte last year with 7 goals and 21 assists.

Hmmm that gives us exactly 12 forwards and 6 Dmen if PDG is sent down with no callup. Roy might still be recalled, or even McKegg. Also on D, I expect the Canes to recall Michal Cajkovsky or Trevor Carrick to be the 7th Dman. They should have done that from the beginning if Fleury was not going to play in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back