• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

How was Dougie any worse than say.....Pesce, Faulk, Slavin, etc. They all got exposed and beaten against Boston.

This. The whole unit struggled at times. Dougie is a divisive figure though, and probably always will be for reasons I've never understand and probably never will.

In some ways he reminds me of Pitkanen.. (sp?) He doesn't have quite the grace of him but he moves the puck and helps get people out of position. He's imperfect...

Statistically speaking, Pitkanen had 8 points, all assists in 18 playoff games in 2009. Dougie had 3 goals and 4 assists this postseason.

1 Frantisek Kaberle CAR D 2005-2006 25 4 9 13 -7
2 Bret Hedican CAR D 2005-2006 25 2 9 11 6
3 Jaccob Slavin CAR D 2018-2019 15 0 11 11 5
4 Sean Hill CAR D 2001-2002 23 4 4 8 0
5 Justin Faulk CAR D 2018-2019 15 1 7 8 4
6 Joni Pitkanen CAR D 2008-2009 18 0 8 8 0
7 Dougie Hamilton CAR D 2018-2019 15 3 4 7 3
8 Joe Corvo CAR D 2008-2009 18 2 5 7 -7
9 Dennis Seidenberg CAR D 2008-2009 16 1 5 6 -5
10 Brett Pesce CAR D 2018-2019 15 0 6 6 4

The stats speak for themselves, really.

Also, for all of the frustrated knocks on Aho in the postseason game threads, he still managed to end up leading the team in points with 12.

Last edited:
How was Dougie any worse than say.....Pesce, Faulk, Slavin, etc. They all got exposed and beaten against Boston.

Dougie is going to be haunted by going all soft in the corner on the Ovechkin play. That is something that his teammates, and especially Brindy, are not going to forget. That was really bad. I think his reputation (museum guy, soft, whatever) comes from him not being fully committed. He will play a physical game at opportunistic times but I don't think he leaves it all on the ice....especially if he can avoid a hit.

I know people will defend him, but how do you answer the question of where he slotted into the Canes ice time in the playoffs? He is (by far!) the Canes most physically gifted and skilled defenseman yet averaged a distant 4th among Canes Dmen in ice time. It just doesn't add up.

Yeah ... Ferland went rather rapidly from my "must keep if serious about winning" pile to ... well, just the pile. Dude's going to get over-paid this summer, but that's fine. He's made relative peanuts for his career thus far. He's on a $1.75 per year expiring deal, which is silly cheap for what he produced in those two seasons ... even including this year's nose dive.

The thing that killed him here was his head ... as in it's full of cement. Trying to play through what turned out to be a serious injury while under-playing it to the medical and training staff ... brave but stupid, dude. And you cost your team when they needed you most when it all eventually fell apart when they were playing the defending champs in the freaking playoffs.

Should have required the Nic Wallin thump test.

Let Wallin put you into the wall at practice.

Still okay? You’re good to go. :sarcasm

Yeah, early season Ferland looked like a valuable asset. Must keep kind of guy. But I'm not gonna cry about him walking now. Maybe complain about not trading him before the deadline? Sure.

He sure proved me wrong. I wanted to pay him to stay. Even at 4.5 to 5m. Nope. I've yet to see where's he's worth it. If he maintained his early season pace for 72+ games, absolutely. But he's looking like some other GMs problem now.

I honestly think you can find another banger to replace Ferland. The league is full of guys like that. What I liked about him was that he could balance the nasty with some discipline. Not many guys can walk that line between physical and dirty, which is the thing that sets Ferland apart a bit. That doesn't mean you can't go find another one though. Some guys live on the wrong side of the line because the culture of their team encourages it or even demands it. I'm kind of thinking of Tyler Bozak here ... as an example, not a "guy to go get." He was a dirtball in Toronto, but in St Louis (ironically enough playing for a coach was a dirtball himself) he's cleanly physical for the most part. That's a culture thing.

I won't miss him. Can't add much. I will say not sold on his durability vs type of game he plays vs what his actually body can handle. I think throughout his career he's often been injured too. Its in no way because he plays soft. I think he will bounce back with someone but wouldn't be surprised that injuries continue to plague him and affect his output/ceiling. Google those highlights of him in Calgary when he went on a run for them too before we acquired him. He was and has make justifiably so a good reputation for giving good clean hard hits. I won't take that from him. Still, I'm not sold on his sustainability. Takes a lot of discipline and maybe economics drove his thinking this season, but he basically played himself out of town. The thank you he gave? For actually holding on to him at the trade deadline and openly saying that we were going with the bunch we had. All year there was talk that he could be a big piece for us at the trade deadline. I'm sure at his salary and contract status, he was pushing. Again, just don't think he can practically keep up that intensity that works for him. Finally, he's not a super star. I've seen him take some huge hits.
He's a good guy, wish him well, but a role player. I expect him to be replaced.

As for the org on the whole, I hope they continue to be more aggressive. I can't recall if the offseason moves that brought in Hamilton etc were after Dundon (yeah??) but if yes then please keep it up. We may be missing pieces but we still have a bit of depth. Not so much on D as we all want to believe IMO, yeah some of our depth is not really panning out yet as high as hoped. Still, they retain value and we do have options.

One thing though, I really hope we see some better deals. The guys we let go were all faulty in their own way, while with us anyway. But maybe just the Skinner deal.. please avoid taking another Pu. (oh boy, silly James couldn't avoid yet another poo joke)

Last edited:
I honestly think you can find another banger to replace Ferland. The league is full of guys like that. What I liked about him was that he could balance the nasty with some discipline. Not many guys can walk that line between physical and dirty, which is the thing that sets Ferland apart a bit. That doesn't mean you can't go find another one though. Some guys live on the wrong side of the line because the culture of their team encourages it or even demands it. I'm kind of thinking of Tyler Bozak here ... as an example, not a "guy to go get." He was a dirtball in Toronto, but in St Louis (ironically enough playing for a coach was a dirtball himself) he's cleanly physical for the most part. That's a culture thing.

I think the Canes absolutely can find another banger to replace some of what Ferland brought in that first half at a much cheaper cost. They might be better served to find a bigger center off the RFA pile and trade away an excess second round pick...someone like Jason Dickinson in Dallas or Ivan Barbashev from the Blues...a physical guy that can replace Ferland a bit and fill that third line center role.

In some ways he reminds me of Pitkanen.. (sp?) He doesn't have quite the grace of him but he moves the puck and helps get people out of position. He's imperfect...

Dougie has definitely taken on the role of hated defenseman like no one else since Pitkanen. As much grief as Faulk has caught, and I've given it to him more than once, a LOT of people absolutely already hate Hamilton. Canes fans. The guy cant shake that enigma.

Dougie has definitely taken on the role of hated defenseman like no one else since Pitkanen. As much grief as Faulk has caught, and I've given it to him more than once, a LOT of people absolutely already hate Hamilton. Canes fans. The guy cant shake that enigma.

Unlike Pitkanen, Dougie also has a pretty large contingent that absolutely adores him. Honestly ... I'll take the warts so long as they come with danged near 20 goals in a season when he was playing with one hand for a couple of months. I've said all along that if Faulk had been able to maintain his offensive production, people would have been less quick to turn on him over the last 2 or 3 years ... but brother stopped scoring. ALL D-men who bring real offense also bring issues in their own end. That's just the way it goes. People hating on those guys because they aren't Ray Bourque or whatever seem to casually forget how many of those guys there have been in the league ... like EVER.

Nope, I just hear the same idiotic critiques these people had of Pitkanen. Mostly unfounded, and parroting what some other idiot said.

Nope, I just hear the same idiotic critiques these people had of Pitkanen. Mostly unfounded, and parroting what some other idiot said.

Look. There are a lot of idiots out there, but letting them define the running narrative isn't required or anything. You can always choose to ignore them ... which is exactly what management does.

Back