• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

I thought I saw discussions by non-Canes fans that he had trade value.

He's better than some teams are icing in their bottom six.

the Canes still could make a trade with him even though he's on waivers.

Also Waddell and RBA said this is not a short term trip to Charlotte for Darling. To me that means barring injuries he's there for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I thought I saw discussions by non-Canes fans that he had trade value.

He's better than some teams are icing in their bottom six.

The Canes have been openly dangling Zykov for over a month. If he had trade value he'd have been traded by now. He might have waiver wire value ... maybe. And as for him getting a fair shake, I trust that Brindy knows what he wants out of those depth guys and wasn't getting it from Zykov. He was pretty terrible in the first couple of games at home ... passive, turnover prone, sluggish.

As for Darling, good on him for accepting his waiver with grace. Apparently he not only agreed to report to Charlotte, but he made plans to go ahead and get down there early. Also, good on the Canes for finally pulling the plug. That part of the season's narrative was a distraction at this point and it was clear that the guy was adrift again.

Ironically in the next 2 weeks the checkers play Hartford 4 times , 2 at home and 2 up there. His first game with Charlotte is tomorrow at Providence.

More surprised by including Zykov as a waiver than Darling. Happy to see the latter move out of the picture for a while, but was disappointed that Zykov has not taken charge of his opportunity.

More surprised by including Zykov as a waiver than Darling. Happy to see the latter move out of the picture for a while, but was disappointed that Zykov has not taken charge of his opportunity.

Love the fact that Curtis came in and won a job with hard work and took whatever playing time he could get to secure a job! The Darling situation was becoming a distraction this team simply doesn’t need.

Zykov will get claimed, it’s a matter of the team and role he ends up with in regards to if he sticks. The Canes have a bunch of young forwards like Zykov in the AHL that deserve a chance...so no huge loss but it’s too bad he couldn’t show more in the 13 games he played here this season.

So, someone wears red and white goalie gear in a green uniform soon?

Meh. They printed him out some vinyl stickers to put on his pads when he reported from Toronto. I assume they can do the same if needed when the Canes wear the Whale gear .... or, it's not too late to drop that stupid nonsense. He says wishfully thinking.

Darling did the smart thing. If he wants to play in the NHL ever again he needs to accept his only shot is to make a showing in the AHL.

Zykov I expect will be claimed. As already noted, there are some teams desperate for offense where Zykov could be an immediate 3rd line and PP upgrade. Whether he sticks with the team that claims him or finds his way back to us at some point remains to be seen.

still really surprised by the opposition to the Whalers jerseys. This kind of thing happens in every pro sport. Maybe 9 years of no playoffs gets people ticked off by such trivial stuff. and please don't waste time telling that the NHL is not the NBA , MLB, NFL, etc for this stuff. They are different in one respect - those leagues have way more cash.

You're talking about the Everblades I presume. I would guess you are right.

No. He's talking about that dumb home and home series with the Bruins when the Canes plan to wear Whalers uniforms for no apparent reason other than to sell sweaters to fans who are nostalgic for reasons that elude me.

Last edited:
still really surprised by the opposition to the Whalers jerseys. This kind of thing happens in every pro sport. Maybe 9 years of no playoffs gets people ticked off by such trivial stuff. and please don't waste time telling that the NHL is not the NBA , MLB, NFL, etc for this stuff. They are different in one respect - those leagues have way more cash.

No. He's talking about that dumb home and home series with the Bruins when the Canes plan to wear Whalers uniforms for no apparent reason other than to sell sweaters to fans who are nostalgic for reasons that elude me.

We're not doing this discussion again, are we?

Back