• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

We will see how that works out. Boychuk didn't work out in 2 stops before returning to us. I have a feeling Zykov is going to find some success there. Is he replacing Ty Rattie on Connor McDavid's wing, one of our former waiver wire pickups?

Hell, if most of us in here ended up on McDavid’s wing we might be good for 10-15 goals...just saying.

We will see how that works out. Boychuk didn't work out in 2 stops before returning to us. I have a feeling Zykov is going to find some success there. Is he replacing Ty Rattie on Connor McDavid's wing, one of our former waiver wire pickups?

Hell, if most of us in here ended up on McDavid’s wing we might be good for 10-15 goals...just saying.

Is anyone hearing anything on Nylander, with his 5p deadline this afternoon? It seems pretty silent, though last I heard, Mckenzie suggested things were basically down to sign or sit with a trade 'highly highly highly unlikely."

He will sign, then be traded later.

That seems to be the going belief. Dreger reporting that Leafs are waiting on WN's response to their latest offer.

Unless its clear to the majority of GM's that the Leafs are lowballing Nylander, it doesn't make sense for him not to sign because he's just going to get similar offers from the rest of the league. So why not play with a team that you have a chance to win with and that'll also help you pump up your stats? But once he does sign, the well might have been too badly poisoned to keep him around, so the Leafs might look to shop him to plug whatever holes they have. They've already learned that they can win without him, so no reason to wait to trade him. In fact, in all likelihood he'll get off to a slow start so his trade value might drop a bit if they wait too long.

Interesting chart from Twitter - https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/1069627648731725825 I hope our stat geeks aren't guiding the bus with a message of "our luck has to change" and that being the reason for so little change in personnel and lines (complicated by the lack of really viable other options).

I think the short answer is that we have way too many guys competing for the "Hands of Feet" title this year

Today in Canes history...Peter Laviolette was fired 10 years ago today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting chart from Twitter - https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/1069627648731725825 I hope our stat geeks aren't guiding the bus with a message of "our luck has to change" and that being the reason for so little change in personnel and lines (complicated by the lack of really viable other options).

I think the short answer is that we have way too many guys competing for the "Hands of Feet" title this year

I honestly think outside of Aho and Ferland, you can see almost an entire forward ranks of "hands of feet" with this bunch. I feel bad for skilled guys like Svech, no center to speak of in terms of being the player he could be, Jordan Staal is always asked to be something way more than he ever will be offensively, year after year of the Canes never filling that #1 center role, and every year we all seem to talk in circles of missing that more than anything else when it comes to everything outside of goaltending...

There are not three guys on this team, fitting of outfitting a true top NHL line. Some of these guys are pretty good, but no game breakers, no one who can carry a team.

Who didn't throw up a bit in their mouth when Maurice v.2 was the replacement?

Especially after we had won the Cup just a few years before. It seemed like an immediate return to boring mediocre hockey.

Speaking of which, remember when the current version of the Canes would lose, but at least be exciting when they did?

Getting back to something that will hopefully replace the vision of the old gum snapper from my mind...

Pesce practiced again yesterday and RBA said there is a good chance he’ll return to the lineup against the Sharks tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This current team is just not that good. Too many rookies, too few scorers, piecemeal goaltending, missing pieces, insufficient budget and coaches on a learning curve. Aho and Ferland cannot carry this team.

Jeff Skinner finally has a playmaking center (Eric Staal was not a playmaking center)
Hanafin and Lindholm don't have to carry the team's weight and are flourishing in secondary roles behind others like Gaudreau, Monahan, and Giordano.

Last edited:
This current team is just not that good. Too many rookies, too few scorers, piecemeal goaltending, missing pieces, insufficient budget and coaches on a learning curve. Aho and Ferland cannot carry this team.

Jeff Skinner finally has a playmaking center (Eric Staal was not a playmaking center)
Hanafin and Lindholm don't have to carry the team's weight and are flourishing in secondary roles behind others like Gaudreau, Monahan, and Giordano.

+1! You simply cannot polish a turd and this team is still a turd. Until Dundon grabs a clue and realizes this all has to start with a real president and GM of hockey operations, things will remain the same. Waddell is not the guy you need in that GM chair, go find someone that can lead the direction of this team, no not the owner who thinks he can do it himself, a real hockey executive that can change the direction of this team. Still no center, still no future #1 goaltender, continued weak attendance because of the mediocre record...not much has really changed other than swapping a handful of players out and changing the coach.

Again ... why any of these roster issues are surprising, I have no idea. I'm pleased that Ferland has maybe 10% more in the offensive zone than I thought he did and I thought that Necas would give us SOMETHING, but aside from that I'm seeing pretty much exactly what I thought I'd see based on past performances. Aho is VERY good. Turbo is a solid offensive player, and Ferland is a solid complimentary winger. That's about all the reliable offense we've got up front on this team. Everybody else aside from Staal is a two-way role player type ... and he's a checking center, plain and simple. Oh ... and we're not getting nearly enough offense from the blue line. Guys like Hamilton and Faulk SHOULD be pitching in some goals on a fairly regular basis and they just aren't.

We're in a slightly better position than this time last year, but only because you know Hamilton is going to kick it up a notch eventually and Svech is obviously the future power forward this team has lacked for bloody ever. Other than that, the Canes are pretty much exactly who it says they are on paper. Brindy has gotten them to buy into a pretty terrific team work ethic or else they'd be as dire to watch as they were last season. Oh, and the goaltending has actually improved ... which ain't saying much, seeing how crap it was last season. The roster still SCREAMS out for a playmaking center of any kind, and our front office still sits there doing nothing about that problem. Bottom line ... wake me when they do.

Back