• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ex-Canes Thread?

Listening to NHL radio and they are talking about Skinner's return to Carolina. Clearly noted that Skinner has never said anything about Carolina since leaving. Also noted that Skinner trade was heist. How do you trade away a player like Skinner for a middling prospect (Pu) and middling picks (2, 3 and 6)? and not even get one of Buffalo's 1st rounder picks this upcoming draft (they have 3-- theirs, San Jose and St. Louis) or get one of their better, golden prospects? Here's the burn, apparently there were teams that said they were interested and never knew Skinner was available. This will have to go down as one of the worst trades ever. It does not matter don't care who pulled the trigger or that Skinner had a NTC-- the return just pales in comparison to what the player was given away for.

Skinner will burn us tonight!

Last edited:
apparently there were teams that said they were interested and never knew Skinner was available.

Yeah, that part is BS. We dangled Skinner several times over his last two seasons. If a GM was interested, then they knew full well he was on the table. That's the kind of crap GMs tell media lackeys to cover their butts.

Zykov played 9:26 for Vegas in their 3-2 loss to the Sharks last night. No PP time, -1, 2 shots, 3 hits. He was in there for Cody Eakin, not sure why. That won't be a regular thing unless Eakin has some injury that hasn't been reported.

these guys getting claimed on waivers does that mean the Canes have more talent now? Trying to remember how many other guys were claimed in recent years but I am drawing a blank . I'm sure someone else can tell me the recent cases of waiver losses by the Canes.

these guys getting claimed on waivers does that mean the Canes have more talent now? Trying to remember how many other guys were claimed in recent years but I am drawing a blank . I'm sure someone else can tell me the recent cases of waiver losses by the Canes.

Zach Boychuk is the poster child, but we also lost Martin Frk and Ty Rattie when we tried to send them down after claiming them on waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it means we have more talent than before, we just have the wrong mix of talent that forces us to expose players to waivers that other teams see as low risk extra bodies worth taking a flier on.

Note that list that andyt posted above....all of those guys, and Zykov, were skilled scorers in the minors/juniors, but players who have flaws that made them less than perfect NHLers. These are the kind of guys that have enough skill that teams are willing to give them a look as role players or injury fill ins.

I guess teams are seeing that for whatever reason some guys do much better away from the Canes. And since a waiver claim does not cost a pick or player then it is a low risk move.

I guess teams are seeing that for whatever reason some guys do much better away from the Canes. And since a waiver claim does not cost a pick or player then it is a low risk move.

Or they’re plugging a short term hole and don’t want to risk overwhelming one of their youngsters or expose them to waivers. Zykov only played 5 games for Edmonton, PDG had his first action for Nashville last night. When the Canes waived Boychuk, he played 7 games for the Pens and was waived. Nashville picked him up and he played 5 games for them. When they waived him, the Canes took him back and sent him to Charlotte.

Or they’re plugging a short term hole and don’t want to risk overwhelming one of their youngsters or expose them to waivers. Zykov only played 5 games for Edmonton, PDG had his first action for Nashville last night. When the Canes waived Boychuk, he played 7 games for the Pens and was waived. Nashville picked him up and he played 5 games for them. When they waived him, the Canes took him back and sent him to Charlotte.

I'm hard pressed to remember a single Hurricanes player who was claimed on waivers and went on to play a meaningful role anywhere else. We had a few that we lost on a reclaim that at least played a little bit, but Boychuk was probably the biggest impact player of the homegrown guys we lost on waivers. He of course had only a minor impact at best.

Buffalo wins the Kinetico Bill Peters Bowl. Lindholm has 2 As, Hannafin 1 G, Skinner and Ryan 0 pts.

In his debut for the Wild last night, Victor Rask played 15:22, 2:52 on the PP. 71% (5 of 7) in the faceoff circle. 1 assist, +1. Wild beat Columbus 2-1. Pontus Aberg and some guy named Zach Parise were his even strength linemates (Parise had the goal Rask assisted on).

Zykov continues to be on the Vegas roster watching from the press box, having just played 1 game.

PDG had an assist in his first game for AHL Milwaukee

Last edited:
Trade Rask and he's immediately a point-per-game player. :sarcasm

To be fair to Victor, while he wasn't racking up points here or anything ... he had started to play much better on that fourth line with Maenalanen and Foegle. He HAD to start his engines eventually.

I don't care if Rask suddenly starts going in the same way Lindholm or Skinner has-- he was NOT producing here, was not going to produce here and looked lost. That is one player who needed a change of scenery badly and if it works for him, good for Victor!

Back