• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Price is Wrong

the issue was signing him a year early
a risk that did not pay off

my guess is they wanted to avoid the distraction of him not having a contract but ooooooooooooops

Yes but most teams want to lock-up their top players a year early. When they don't do it, it's because the player wants to test the market (or is thinking of testing, like Stamkos).
Which leads me to think that Price's agent gave them ZERO leeway....unlike other superstar players who think about the team (McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos.....)

If we played his bluff and went to July 1 ......the worst starting goalie in hockey last year wasnt netting 10.5 from anybody .
Who was the last proven starting goalie (capable of consistently playing 55+ games) to hit UFA?

Bobrovsky might be the first since I can’t recall but assume it was Ben Bishop and add in the Habs ability to attract UFAs especially when a goalie knows the Habs desperately need to sign them...cha-ching$

Last edited:
Yes but most teams want to lock-up their top players a year early. When they don't do it, it's because the player wants to test the market (or is thinking of testing, like Stamkos).
Which leads me to think that Price's agent gave them ZERO leeway....unlike other superstar players who think about the team (McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos.....)
What think about the team - if Mtl had same tax rate as Alberta or Texas think Price would’ve been paid $10.5M? It would have been $7M-$8M.

McDavid is not a fair comparable this is his 2nd contract, Stamkos is the fair comparable (retirement contract) and low tax Florida had everything to do with the difference

Rolex .... we dont have great forwards and 31 wasnt going to change this teams outcome

If we played his bluff and went to July 1 ......the worst starting goalie in hockey last year wasnt netting 10.5 from anybody .
Need to learn to accept ownership consortium will not approve a 3-5 year tank job. Heck WFAN has spent the morning last week (which is moreso shocking that they even talk hockey) discussing how the NYR management are now telling season ticket holders & media there will not be a rebuild (as stated in last springs letter) but a retool....

Who was the last proven starting goalie (capable of consistently playing 55+ games) to hit UFA?

Bobrovsky might be the first since I can’t recall but assume it was Ben Bishop and add in the Habs ability to attract UFAs especially when a goalie knows the Habs desperately need to sign them...cha-ching$

31 has been nothing but injury prone or inconsistent since his MVP year , thats all that matters Sal when it comes to paying him .

MCD is the best player in the world at 21 ...you could go 15 mil he is worth it.

When you pay elite money ...you want elite results .

He is making significantly more than any goalie ....no excuses

Let him test UFA ...who gives a shit they way he is playing ......he is a joke of a player right now

Despite all the Price trash talks I still believe that if he were put on the market you would have at least five teams serious about acquiring him.

31 has been nothing but injury prone or inconsistent since his MVP year , thats all that matters Sal when it comes to paying him .

MCD is the best player in the world at 21 ...you could go 15 mil he is worth it.

When you pay elite money ...you want elite results .

He is making significantly more than any goalie ....no excuses

Let him test UFA ...who gives a shit they way he is playing ......he is a joke of a player right now
I suspect someone will throw upwards of $12M at Bobrovsky next summer..

What think about the team - if Mtl had same tax rate as Alberta or Texas think Price would’ve been paid $10.5M? It would have been $7M-$8M.

McDavid is not a fair comparable this is his 2nd contract, Stamkos is the fair comparable (retirement contract) and low tax Florida had everything to do with the difference

it has been shown that for these high paid guys the difference is not that much
re: tax accounting

Need to learn to accept ownership consortium will not approve a 3-5 year tank job. Heck WFAN has spent the morning last week (which is moreso shocking that they even talk hockey) discussing how the NYR management are now telling season ticket holders & media there will not be a rebuild (as stated in last springs letter) but a retool....

The term doesnt have to be " REBUILD" . Simply put make the right decisions based on your team`s outlook.

The Rags unloaded and are retooling with kids and and have a ton of young prospects in their system .

They are second in the division after dumping vets they had no intention or made no sense retaining .

So how did last years rebuild/tank letter hurt them so far ?

The Rags made the right decisions at the right time just like unloading 67 was for us .

The consortium can do whatever they want . When you make bad trades , and cant draft and develop your fan base will tell you to take a hike forcing you to make changes .

it has been shown that for these high paid guys the difference is not that much
re: tax accounting

Price @ 53.15% tax rate out of $15M (incl bonus), take home $7M
https://www.capfriendly.com/post_tax_calculator/carey-price

Stamkos @ 35.64% tax rate out of $9.5M, take home $6M
https://www.capfriendly.com/post_tax_calculator/steven-stamkos

Pro rating Stamkos tax rate to Price’s $15M salary for this season is a difference of $2M he doesn’t pocket by playing in Mtl (he’d have greater take home in 30-other markets)

or vice versa Stamkos would pocket $4.5M as a Hab vs $6M in TBay (he gets best take home playing in TBay)

Above doesn’t even include basic tax deductions (interest on mortgage etc) & other loopholes US allows that don’t exist in Canada.

Its not only tax rate, which by itself is significant enough

Last edited:

Pro rating Stamkos tax rate to Price’s $15M salary for this season is a difference of $2M or vice versa Stamkos would pocket $4.5M as a Hab vs $6M in TBay

Above doesn’t even include basic tax deductions (interest on mortgage etc) & other loopholes US allows that don’t exist in Canada.

Great article in the Globe and Mail on high income earners and how you can help with tax issues playing Canada

There are financial engineering ways to get around it .

Great article in the Globe and Mail on high income earners and how you can help with tax issues playing Canada

There are financial engineering ways to get around it .
Only is you can prove non Canadian residency. The only real loophole in Canada is something known as Retirement Compensation Arrangement (RCA), which allows high income earners to put away 50% of earnings till retirement, that only pays off if you don’t retire in Canada.

There’s a reason the Bronfmans, Thompson’s and all he mega rich strike deals quietly with the Feds to move their $ out of Canada or in the case of the likes of Paul Martin, Eugene Melnyk register their companies & keep all their $ in Swiss & Bahamas accounts.

Last edited:

Pro rating Stamkos tax rate to Price’s $15M salary for this season is a difference of $2M he doesn’t pocket by playing in Mtl (he’d have greater take home in 30-other markets)

or vice versa Stamkos would pocket $4.5M as a Hab vs $6M in TBay (he gets best take home playing in TBay)

I think at face value that is correct.

Here is a cool look.
https://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-HomeIceDisadvantage.pdf

I have read a few articles that it isn't that large of a gap because players do not tax themselves as if they are living in that City full time.

Obviously there is an advantage to not having to bother with the acct finding the best way to get paid.

eg. Lucic got more "money" in an offer from Montreal but likely his take home was still more with the Oilers (one of the lowest taxed teams)

I believe the Athletic had a good article on it but the search function is awful.

Tavares thought of the Islanders?

Back