• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Blue Jackets 11/17 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes continue the homestand against the Blue Jackets.

The Cane got off the schneid with a win agains Chicago on Monday. The Schedule Monkey then gave them no favors by scheduling a 4 day break. A visit to Ft. Bragg and a few days of practice filled the gap. Rask practiced with the team instead of skating on his own, Pesce and Aho also practiced in yellow jerseys. Aho will play, Pesce is a question and we’ll see at the skate. Expect Darling in goal, probably McElhinney tomorrow.

Columbus is coming off a 7-3 win against Florida on Thursday, extending their 6 game point streak. The Jackets lead the Metro with 24 points in 19 games. Artemi Panarin leads with 13 assists and 18 points but he missed Thursday’s game with an illness. Cam Atkinson and Pierre-Luc Dubois both have 9 goals. Bobrovsky has played 12 games, although he also missed Thursday’s game. He carries a 2.74/.913 stat line. Panarin, Bob and Nash all practiced yesterday and are expected to play. Torts skipped practice after also skipping the post game presser on Thursday.

Tonight is the 2nd Homegrown game. The featured entree is a crab cake, dessert is peach ice cream sundae. The featured brewery is a twofer with Appalachian Mountain Brewery and Bold Rock Cider sharing a cart.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

...and Mr. & Mrs. HeyKurtz will make their debut in the fan tunnel tonight...wooooo!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No lineup changes, Pesce is still out, Fleury is with TVR on the 3rd pair. Darling in goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to note that the ice might be especially crappy tonight. State has a basketball game at 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, it'll be our crappy ice and crappy for both teams!

hoping that the legs get going early after another long layoff. anticipating a chippy game and hope our guys are ready for CLB's physical play.

Referees:
Chris Schlenker #3, Dan O’Halloran #13

Linesmen:
Brian Murphy #93, James Tobias #61

This is Schlenker’s 1st full year in the league, he’s only worked 78 games total. The Canes were 0-1 with him last year, 2-3 with O’Halloran. Tobias is working a split NHL/AHL schedule, Murphy is approaching 2,000 games.

Jackets captain Nick Foligno will miss the game, dealing with a personal matter, per Aaron Portzline tweet.

Roddy needs to get the hook out, Darling has his head half way up his ass tonight and cannot seem to stop the leaky ones from going in.

Last edited:
I'd pull Darling, and then mix lines up and put the d pairings where they belong, and naturally fit. Brindy is in over his head. Time to call Q.

I’ve watched guys tonight avoid finishing checks multiple times, even the so called “physical” players like McGinn just coasting away from finishing his check, can’t happen when you play physical teams like Columbus. Couple that with piss poor goaltending and no offense to speak of and here we are with another stinker at home.

I was watching Dundon and Waddell have a lengthy conversation at the beginning of the 3rd period with Waddell doing a whole lot of phone work afterwards. Watching the owner's box was more interesting at that point than watching the crap the team offered up tonight. We actually used a chunk of that $500 seat upgrade credit that full season ticket holders get and splurged on the some front row seat upgrades for the kids (upgraded freebies from the Canes 5k, almost like getting 2 front row seats for 'free' if you don't consider you are paying for full season tix for that $500 upgrade credit)...they love the seats, didn't like the results.

Roddie was being very kind about Darling's performance in the presser, stating that there were too many open looks. Well, that is true, but when a goalie is square up to the shooter and set and the guy still manages to beat him, well, that isn't exactly stellar goaltending to me.

This week should be the end of Clark Bishop v2, not getting it done. Again I also would consider Foegele back to Charlotte for Kuokkanen to try to spark some offense out of this crew.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take a leak on this dumpster fire. Just let it burn.

I was a little shocked at Waddell saying he expected to be a draft lotto team again. But he was right....

The third period was really only just an opportunity to make jokes and talk to neighbors. The game on the ice was uninspired, sloppy and difficult to watch. It took me a while for this to sink in - especially after such a good start to the season - but this team sucks. I'm done with Darling. He can have one good game, but it's sure to be folllowed by 2 or 3 bad ones. And as bad as he is, his teammates are not much better. We don't one-time shots but seem to prefer to make a soft, lateral pass that is inevitably intercepted, or we wait until the goalie is perfectly positioned to stop the shot. Frankly, no one on our team looked good tonight.

I'd pull Darling, and then mix lines up and put the d pairings where they belong, and naturally fit. Brindy is in over his head. Time to call Q.

I thought the same thing, but with a 5:00 game tomorrow that McElhinney is going to start, RBA called his TO instead. The line mixing consisted of swapping Svechnikov for McGinn and Hamilton and TVR on D.

Here is one more thing on Darling that Luke tweeted during the game. Darling has never had back to back wins in his Canes career. Tonight was his 49th game. How bad is it? When I checked Hockeydb.com to see how many games he’s played, I typed Ron Darling in the search box. Actually, Ron could probably have played better than Scott tonight.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take a leak on this dumpster fire. Just let it burn.

I was a little shocked at Waddell saying he expected to be a draft lotto team again. But he was right....

That was Gold Kahuna on the dumpster fire comment, no truer words spoken.

I got a kick out of our resident sharp shooting sniper Jordy Staal miss the net like 8 times in close. Or how about that elite top pairing defenseman Dougie Hamilton and all of his lolly gagging yet again. Teuvo the Invisible was in fine form. Darling reminds me of a few beer league goalies I use to play against. Just a colossal cluster overall.

I had an email exchange with my ticket rep expressing great dismay at the signing of Mrazek and thus, entering a season with Mrazak and Darling. My rep was excited about the Mrazek signing (propaganda) and thought we'd be fine entering the season. Yes--- not so much at all.
1.) We start five rookies each night and expect the team to challenge every other team.
2.) Aho is carrying the team-- have to wonder when he turns into Eric Staal and just gets beaten into submission
3.) The goal tending issue is an on-going clusterf&*%! Calgary and Philly have similar issues, but they have the other pieces to help counteract (scoring and skill players)
4.) Who is this Dean Cheynoweth? I'm not sure whet he's doing with the defense, but on paper we looked good entering the season.
5.) We are on a learning curve with Roddy, but damn, someone should have given him the personnel to help...

Last edited:
Back