• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Leafs vs Hurricanes.. At some time this evening (7PM)

Here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-Rask-Di Giuseppe

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

McElhinney
Darling

Scratches: Zykov (conditioning stint), Mrazek (lower body), Pesce (lower body)

I sure would like to see Svech up with Aho instead of Tubo. Maybe something like this:

Ferland-Staal-Williams
McGinn-Aho-Svechnikov

I sure would like to see Svech up with Aho instead of Tubo. Maybe something like this:

Ferland-Staal-Williams
McGinn-Aho-Svechnikov

I know I keep throwing cold water on well meaning people, but ...

Why would you do that other than to see what it looks like? Svechnikov is NOT a top line player yet. He will be, but his overall game is simply not at that level right now. He's virtually useless in his own zone, just for starters. Turbo does a TON of defensive work on that line and plays a pretty big role covering up some of Aho's shortcomings at center. Plus, that's the only line giving us consistent offense. Why eff around with the one thing that works?

Your lines would see Ferland starved of service with two guys who play a significantly slower game than him and Turbo doing the thing that he tends to do when he's bad ... trying a ton of tricky stuff with guys on his line who can't do anything with that. I mean, Ferland can do that kind of thing, but it's a waste of his finishing. And you're saddling Aho with a guy who only scores hustle goals and a child ... while he continues to figure out how to play center at this level AND carry the offense.

And yeah ... I know folks just want to see something different. But what if maybe there's nothing different that would actually make things better? Rask gives us some flexibility once he gets up to speed. I think we should hold out hope for that rather than continuing to try and move the lounge chairs around the front room.

Last edited:
Longer term, I could see Foegele-Rask-Svechnikov as the 3rd line with Martinook-Wallmark-PDG on the 4th line.

JB, it's quite obvious we're starved for offense. Keeping the same lineup night after night is a bit insane. Even Mo would mix things up. Can it get any worse for at least trying something different? Anything.

JB, it's quite obvious we're starved for offense. Keeping the same lineup night after night is a bit insane. Even Mo would mix things up. Can it get any worse for at least trying something different? Anything.

OK, whatever, but can we all agree that it's even dumber to mess around the the one line we have that actually works? And yeah ... I'm not being stubborn or contrary here. I honestly don't see much you can do with this group to make anything significantly better. You're literally just moving parts into roles that they're ill suited to play or being hopelessly optimistic when you get more than a move or two into re-working the lines. Rask will help ... some ... simply by allowing us to use 4 centers. Presuming to call Aho a center still feels like a stretch to me, but whatever. His line is the one that works.

And again ... maybe I'm the only one, but so long as this team bobbles around NHL .500, they're actually fulfilling my expectations. So maybe I'm just not as anxious as the rest of you because I didn't have such high expectations. Thus far these guys have been BETTER than I expected.

Last edited:
Referees:
Ian Walsh #29, Francois St. Laurent #38

Linesmen
Kory Nagy #97, Bryan Pancic #94

Canes were 2-3 with Walsh and 2-4 with St. Laurent last year. Walsh only called 25% of his penalties in the 3rd, 40% in the 2nd. St. Laurent spreads his calls evenly across the game.

Well Toronto doesn't commit penalties therefor doesn't matter when the refs call them :p Somehow we are up 2-1 after 2.

Canes get a PP goal + 2 EN's as they pull up a storm and blow the leaves out of the building. Maintenance crews really need to do more on that to keep them out in the first place.

I like being wrong.

I will take partial credit for tonight's win since I wasn't at the game. I missed the Rangers game as well. I will miss the next 2 home games too, trying to do my part.

Canes get a PP goal + 2 EN's as they pull up a storm and blow the leaves out of the building. Maintenance crews really need to do more on that to keep them out in the first place.

I like being wrong.

Svech showed a glimpse of his star potential, a beast to get off the puck when he bears down around the net. Curtis showed well, solid and steady.

My only question is, why can’t that kind of effort and work ethic be shown nightly? Ready to compete from the drop of the puck.

Back