• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Canadiens 11/27 ... 7:30 Eastern

McElhenney is now 7th in the league in save pct. and 5th in GAA. Best thing Darling did this season was to get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McElhenney is now 7th in the league in save pct. and 5th in GAA. Best thing Darling did this season was to get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. They better ride McElhenney until he falls apart. No one else can (or should) play in G unless it is a back to back.

No way we should have won this game. But give credit to McElhenney first, and the team second for hanging on to a lead despite an all-out assault from the Habs.This was a complete reversal of most Canes games - when we overwhelm in SOG but stilll lose.

Canes were outplayed for 60 minutes last night. McH saved the game.

That's what it looks like when a goalie steals a game. Had forgotten what that was like.

Darling has played his way out of a career at this point.

Sadly, he can sit and do nothing for the next 2 3/4 years and collect his millions and call it a win. I still cant shake that stat that Darling has never been able to win 2 consecutive starts as a Cane...

Sadly, he can sit and do nothing for the next 2 3/4 years and collect his millions and call it a win. I still cant shake that stat that Darling has never been able to win 2 consecutive starts as a Cane...

Kinda hard to string wins together when you can't win more than 25-30% of your games.

Hard to envision the path forward here with Darling 20 something games into the season.

As long as we don't need the roster spot I suppose we can give him the full Justin Peters treatment and have him basically just do some work after practices and pretty much never ever play again and just draw a paycheck until the offseason when we buy him out. That assumes we have basically determined that we are done with him as a player and he is never going to play again for us. If we haven't made that final decision yet then its kind of ridiculous to not waive him and send him down to the minors. I understand not wanting to mess with Neds/Booth and Helvig, but Darling certainly is useless if he isn't playing anywhere and at least trying to stay sharp (if he is even capable of being sharp at any level). If you think that maybe he is our #3 then we need to get him playing somewhere.

The other option involves trading him along with assets to some dumping ground. I can't imagine the Canes would be willing to part with the assets it would take to pull that off (we would have to trade something pretty darn valuable to get someone to take him off our hands OR trade for an even worse contract situation coming back the other way).

We rolled the dice by not buying Darling out and lost, but might have lucked into McElhenney as a result. Hopefully McElhenney continues his late career surge and can hold on well enough to keep us in the playoff hunt. He was really good the last 2 seasons so this is starting to look like it might be a trend, although his sample size the last 2 seasons was limited (21 and 18 games). He wouldn't be the first goalie who took until his 30s to be a capable #1 for a few seasons (ie Tim Thomas, possibly Carter Hutton). Canes fortunes are suddenly tied to a 35 year old career backup in the nets, not a good thing.

Hard to envision the path forward here with Darling 20 something games into the season.

As long as we don't need the roster spot I suppose we can give him the full Justin Peters treatment and have him basically just do some work after practices and pretty much never ever play again and just draw a paycheck until the offseason when we buy him out. That assumes we have basically determined that we are done with him as a player and he is never going to play again for us. If we haven't made that final decision yet then its kind of ridiculous to not waive him and send him down to the minors. I understand not wanting to mess with Neds/Booth and Helvig, but Darling certainly is useless if he isn't playing anywhere and at least trying to stay sharp (if he is even capable of being sharp at any level). If you think that maybe he is our #3 then we need to get him playing somewhere.

The other option involves trading him along with assets to some dumping ground. I can't imagine the Canes would be willing to part with the assets it would take to pull that off (we would have to trade something pretty darn valuable to get someone to take him off our hands OR trade for an even worse contract situation coming back the other way).

We rolled the dice by not buying Darling out and lost, but might have lucked into McElhenney as a result. Hopefully McElhenney continues his late career surge and can hold on well enough to keep us in the playoff hunt. He was really good the last 2 seasons so this is starting to look like it might be a trend, although his sample size the last 2 seasons was limited (21 and 18 games). He wouldn't be the first goalie who took until his 30s to be a capable #1 for a few seasons (ie Tim Thomas, possibly Carter Hutton). Canes fortunes are suddenly tied to a 35 year old career backup in the nets, not a good thing.

I guess another option for Darling would be the Sam Gagner example earlier this season, the Canucks waived him, no one was interested in his contract, was loaned to the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, then recalled only because the Canucks were low on bodies. The Canes could waive Darling, let him catch on with another AHL team short on goaltending and then that does not disrupt the development of the kids in Charlotte.

Eat 1/2 his salary and trade him to the Hawks for Cam Ward. Save $1M and a year of term.:couch:

If we still break even after buying out CAM in the off season, why not? He'd be a short term insurance policy if M or M goes down.

Back