• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #26: SJS @ TOR, 7:30 Nov 28 - Return of the King

It's weird how selective you are in an argument. Make up your mind if advanced statistics are important or if nebulous bullshit is important, like what usage a bad coach on deaths row is giving out.

please.

quality of competition quality of competition quality of competition.

don't accuse me of inconsistency.

That's exactly what they should be doing though. Pluck undervalued bottom pair d on other teams that are capable top four d. Not saying that's gudas but this is the exact thing they need to do if they want a cheap shore up of their corps.

another depth dman is the last thing the leafs need.

a complete waste of time and capspace.

another depth dman is the last thing the leafs need.

a complete waste of time and capspace.

Many coaches are dumb. Leafs should be after bottom pair undervalued d who they feel can play a prominent role if given a chance. If they grab a top four d you're dismantling the team. Not worth it

Many coaches are dumb. Leafs should be after bottom pair undervalued d who they feel can play a prominent role if given a chance. If they grab a top four d you're dismantling the team

picking up a bottom pair buttersoft usage dman from one of the worst teams in hockey is not what a contender should be doing. that would be tremendously weak.

It's not like Gudas is some unknown hidden gem of a mobile puckmover ignored because he's not physical enough. Everybody knows what he is, over many years in the league, including his coach and every other coach, most of whom have a soft spot for exactly this type of dman. In fact, he plays for a coach who favors these gritty types quite a bit, and who is desperately fighting for his coaching career, and still he's not moving up the lineup.

and who says Hakstol is a bad coach? I think he's the reason they made the playoffs last year, despite their awful defense and goaltending. Somehow he managed to turn that slow team into a top shot prevention team last year, and had the balls and genius to revive Giroux' career by moving him to the wing. Hell, he made shane gostibeshere look competent defensively for a year, which is an incredible achievement all by itself.

Yeah I'm not talking about gudas specifically. Not sure he'd be my target. But the pro scouts and analytics team should be doing work to find some of these undervalued guys. I'm not really interested in trading for a d if the target is a solidied top four guy already (unless he's a 4 who they identify as a top pair d). They're too good to dismantle their forwards just to get a d.

That's exactly what they should be doing though. Pluck undervalued bottom pair d on other teams that are capable top four d. Not saying that's gudas but this is the exact thing they need to do if they want a cheap shore up of their corps.

Especially when the bottom pairing defender had a better track record in 2nd pairing usage than our current 2nd pairing rhd

please.

quality of competition quality of competition quality of competition.

don't accuse me of inconsistency.

And gudas has results available against middle pair competition. Quite good.

That his current coach appears unaware of this and continues to run out young defenders to get buried in that role doesn't mean much.

Last edited:
This argument has been had before regarding Gudas and there's a bunch of data on him as a 2nd pairing defender and it's good. It's quite a bit better than Zaitsev's analytics in the same type of usage.

But yeah, I'm not even stuck on Gudas, I just reject Zeke's nonsense about him being terrible. He's a good #4. That his current coach doesn't use him like that doesn't change anything.

ok fine.

over his career Gudas has received borderline 2nd/3rd pair usage (about 16mpg, with B- qoc at both 5v5 and ES), and has been a slightly positive possession player ~52%/+1.5rel.

decent bottom pair dman / passable #4 dman? sure.

Marner has 89 points on his last 82 regular season gp.

71 points in his last 57. 80 in 64 if you count the playoffs. Basically, he’s approaching elite production.

giphy.gif

The moves in open ice and dirty areas by Marner are stunning. Willy might do well to watch closely. Marner is a wow. To have Tavares and Matthews on top of this guy is pretty insane.

How about that Joe Pavelski? Man, wish we had gotten him instead of Marleau.... Guy is a wow.

I think a player like gudas is exactly what the leafs need on their defence (yes any type if elite dman would be preferable) he is passable as a 4th dman on a second unit, probably costs a lot less than a method or players of that ilk.
Leafs do need a dman that can play a heavy game and add to the fact that gudas is a bit of a psycho lol
It wouldnt surprise me to see the leafs use some draft picks and maybe a upper rated prospect to bring in another defenceman.
Gardiner will be gone after this season and I do believe that dermot will more than adequately take his place, but it is dermots place we will have to fill. This great love in the broadcasters have with ozzy, I just can't see. And hainsey is looking more and more like a 5/6 dman out there.
And what the hell has happened to kadri? I think lof mentioned that putting nylander on his line when he gets back, but I think just getting marleau off of his line will help.
Marleau reminds me of the David hasselhoffs of the world, dude, you had your moment, now finish eating your burger and just go to sleep.

Back