• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Ducks 11/30 ... 7:30 eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Wow ... November was a blur, at least for me. Carolina closes out Turkey Month with a visit from a different kind of fowl, the formerly Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. It's another "Black Friday" but only for wardrobe reasons, unlike last week. The Canes have made some roster moves so there's big shakin' afoot in West Raleigh.

Carolina ... ding dong, Darling's gone. For now, at least, although pardon me for hoping that he's gone for good. Curtis McIllhenney has cemented himself as the defacto No. 1 keeper, and even if that wasn't a thing anyone contemplated to start the year ... it's gone fairly well. He's not an elite goaltender, but he's calm, mature and predictable and that's a nice change of pace around here. Likewise, the Canes waived Val Zykov for the same general reason they waived Darling ... disappointment. It was a low bar for Zykov, too. Chip in with basic positional and defensive stuff and we'll let you stand in the crease on the power play and tip in as many goals as you can manage. Nope. He couldn't get it right and has been sent down to get his head together ... I guess. I think they might just be hoping he gets claimed. Bishop is back as insurance in case Ferland can't go tonight. So long as Ferland can dress, look for the much the same on the roster. Pesce MIGHT be close to return, but they put Fleury on retroactive IR and he's not eligible to return until after this game.

Anaheim ... once Corey Perry went out with injury in the pre season, pundits buried this team pretty deep in the Western predictions. But the Ducks have been quite good early on. At 12-10-5, they're within a point of the top of their Division and have been bubbling along pretty well, aside from a disastrous 5 game losing streak to end October. Losing Perry took a predictable toll of their goal scoring, but the Ducks have hunkered down in the defensive zone and currently sit 8th in the league in goals against. Both John Gibson and Ryan Miller have been stellar in net, and Ryan Getzlaf is off to a rare, for him, solid start. This is not a fun team to play against ... big, aggressive, fairly mobile and a little bit surly.

So. Outlook ... slight boredom if Carolina can't manage to get the pace up to their liking. Anaheim is perfectly happy to much about and win a 2-1 with 20-something shots for each team kind of game. They aren't the Islanders, with their relentless passion for sluggishness, but they're closer to that than they are to the go-go Canes who want to fly around and jack up 40 shots from all angles. In general, you'd think the team that gets something closer to their preferred pace will prevail.

Ferland wasn’t at the skate and isn’t in Michael Smith’s projected lineup. The Line Blender spit out the following:

Aho-Staal-Teravainen
McGinn-Rask-Williams
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-Bishop-Di Giuseppe

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Bean-van Riemsdyk

McElhinney goes in goal. He has also taken over Darling’s locker, per Chip.

Some changes on the PP with Ferland out too. Per Cory Lavalette on Twitter, PP1 Staal, Aho, TT, Svechnikov, Faulk. Pp2 Rask, Williams, Wallmark, Slavin and Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like those forward lines.

Staal is just not a goal-scorer except accidentally and/or close-in. His best use for the team is as a possession monster for two skilled wingers that just need a bit of space in which to operate. He provides that space.

Rask and Williams feels good to me...far better than Staal and Williams, which was getting nowhere and ruining whatever third was placed with them. McGinn a good add to that veteran pairing.

Like the third...feels dangerous. Like the fourth.

Nothing like necessity to mother invention.

Staal really doesn't have to score or even play a setup role with those two on his wings. Just win face-offs, gain possession and go screen the goalie while those two do all the dangerous stuff. He's done it before with those guys and it's been fine. I think the big ask in that set of lines is asking Rask to defend. In years past that's been a hit or miss proposition at best. When he's in the mood he can be a really effective two way center. When he plays like he did last season, he's an absolute liability and neither of those two wingers is bailing him out anytime soon. We'll see how it goes.

Referees:
Ghislain Hebert #22, Dan O’Rourke #9

Linesmen:
Ryan Daisy #81, David Brisebois #96

Canes had winning records with both refs last year, 4-2 with Hebert, 3-2 with O’Rourke. Both heavily weight their calls in the 2nd period, over 40%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks... but I am not amused. (By the 'Canes) this game shouldn't be going to OT.

If you want to watch how to lose a hockey game you should have easily won then just focus in on that last Canes power play...not one zone entry, not one good pass, no shots and basically just mailing it in to take two minutes off the clock. They deserve to lose with garbage like that.

This team can’t score to save its life yet they have scrubs like PDG and Bishop over the skill of Kuokkanen and Necas in there. Cut the bullshit and add some skill and offense to this listless bunch.

Back